Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internal cable tv distribution and UPC. What to use?

• 11-10-2013 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Seeking advice on what piece of kit I need here.

Recently rewired the house and there are TV sockets in 5 rooms. All the cables go back to under the stairs. The plan was to have the incoming UPC cable meet there.

Can anyone advise what piece of kit I require to join the lot.

While I've cabled up the house, we're probably not going to need multi room viewing. All I want to do is to have the set up in place that we can place the UPC STB (probably Horizon) in any room. Need also to ensure that it woun't hinder broadband either.

A chap in Tvtrade.ie recommended this (which will feed 4 rooms) http://www.tvtrade.ie/4-way-saorsat-splitter.html

Despite the Saorsat label it should work with UPC.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

That splitter would be OK for 4 rooms. Normally UPC are supposed to do all the wiring. For safety make sure the UPC wall outlet box is still connected as it provides protection from electrocution.

If you split the signal 4 or 5 ways. Each TV will only get 1/5 of the signal or less. If the signal is fine and strong it won't matter, but generally it tends not to be stron enough and on analogue you get a snowy picture and on digital freezing, audio breakup and screeching. If you have broadband you may get slow speeds and frequent disconnects.

If you are paying for 5 outlets you could ask UPC to help. They will charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

If you have ran all your cables to under the stairs then ensure you run a few spares to the attic etc so that you can change your mind afterwards without ruining your whole house trying to get a signal to under the stairs...

If your splitting a signal four times a distribution amplifier and not a splitter should be used for UPC as a four way splitter will have a loss and this could be enough to cause problems on your box....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

steveon wrote: »
    If you have ran all your cables to under the stairs then ensure you run a few spares to the attic etc so that you can change your mind afterwards without ruining your whole house trying to get a signal to under the stairs...

Too late now! :eek:
    If your splitting a signal four times a distribution amplifier and not a splitter should be used for UPC as a four way splitter will have a loss and this could be enough to cause problems on your box....

At this point, we are only going to have one TV in the house, so I'm going to route the signal directly there and leave the rest unconnected for the time being. We put cable connections to other rooms just to have it rather than use it. Thought it would make sense to connect up from the start.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Too late now! :eek:

At this point, we are only going to have one TV in the house, so I'm going to route the signal directly there and leave the rest unconnected for the time being. We put cable connections to other rooms just to have it rather than use it. Thought it would make sense to connect up from the start.

how you going to get the signal to under the stairs in the first place?

steveon wrote: »
    how you going to get the signal to under the stairs in the first place?

I have a cable running out to the front of house to below the UPC junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

Five Lamps wrote: »
    I have a cable running out to the front of house to below the UPC junction.

Again just a quick warning. If you/UPC connect this cable directly into the multioutlet on the eves of the house, it MUST go through a special UPC branded outlet box inside the house before it is connected to any splitters or TVs. This outlet box prevents the risk of electrocution if somewhere along the line, a live wire contacts the UPC cable,for example from a fallen tree. Otherwise the entire system could be live.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Again just a quick warning. If you/UPC connect this cable directly into the multioutlet on the eves of the house, it MUST go through a special UPC branded outlet box inside the house before it is connected to any splitters or TVs. This outlet box prevents the risk of electrocution if somewhere along the line, a live wire contacts the UPC cable,for example from a fallen tree. Otherwise the entire system could be live.

The cable is there ready for them to hook up to their tap and put their termination at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevieghealy

Guys, just installed an horizon box via Hdmi into tv. Works fine. Then, I took scart output in triax trilink kit. Rf'ing it out on channel 36 to upstairs into an f140 powered amp for remote eyes. From there it goes out to 2 tv's which works fine. UPC hirizon box from downstairs now shows up on tv's upstairs via ch36 with red light on remote eyes also.

My problem is , control of horizon box! Apparently this horizon remote works via RF?? Any bright sparks out there got any tricks up their sleeves on this one?? Might I add, if I walk out of bedroom onto landing the UPC hirizon remote works fine but not in bedroom!!

Thanks a mil,

Guys, just installed an horizon box via Hdmi into tv. Works fine. Then, I took scart output in triax trilink kit. Rf'ing it out on channel 36 to upstairs into an f140 powered amp for remote eyes. From there it goes out to 2 tv's which works fine. UPC hirizon box from downstairs now shows up on tv's upstairs via ch36 with red light on remote eyes also.

My problem is , control of horizon box! Apparently this horizon remote works via RF?? Any bright sparks out there got any tricks up their sleeves on this one?? Might I add, if I walk out of bedroom onto landing the UPC hirizon remote works fine but not in bedroom!!

Thanks a mil,

Have u tried moving the eye away from your tv? some tvs particulary a samsung and philips give off a lot of radiation and can stop eyes from working.

Advertisement