Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - Is this feasible?

Options
  • 11-10-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Looking for some feedback on whether what I'm proposing is actually feasible with the banks these days.

My wife & I own a house which is in negative equity. Following discussions with my parents they are agreeable to gifting us their house and we would build them a smaller bungalow on some nearby family land.

We would sell our current house and have about 50k left to pay on that mortgage. We would then seek to release equity on my parents house which would have been transferred to us to build their new bungalow and carry out remedial work on the old house.

Notwithstanding borrowing ability, planning permission etc is this a workable idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

afaik, your parents cant gift you their house, There would be tax involved in relation to inheritance. You need to get proper legal advice on this.

seek a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

listermint wrote: »
    afaik, your parents cant gift you their house, There would be tax involved in relation to inheritance. You need to get proper legal advice on this.

seek a professional.

I'm aware of gift tax thresholds etc. Why do you say that my parents couldn't gift me the house?
    It's their home with no mortgage on it.
    My query is more on whether banks would allow the release of equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

tbukela wrote: »
    I'm aware of gift tax thresholds etc. Why do you say that my parents couldn't gift me the house?
    It's their home with no mortgage on it.
    My query is more on whether banks would allow the release of equity.

they should do. weather they will or not is another question.

However your equity release would also have to cover the 50k neg equity aswell as any work for building the bungalow and remdial work you have which you didn't mention in your first post.

Also don't forget that even if their house to you may come under the gift tax threshold you are essentially going to be gifting them back the bungalow and sibling top parent gifts can only be 30k (outside of special circumstances) so there may well be a taxable liability there

Advertisement