Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change immersion switch to timer

Options
  • 11-10-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Is it a big job to change a single 'on/off' immersion switch in my kitchen to one with a timer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

If your immersion is a dual group(bath & sink), you will need to put the timer before the switch and have it rated at 16amps.
    If its a single group, you could replace the switch with a timer once its rated
    for the correct load.
    There are 24 hour timers like the apt/flash that you pull out the segments to control when the immersion is on.
    There are also run back timers that count down from a pre set time and switch off, usually in 15 min segmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

as long as it's just 'control' of immersion you can swop it out for timer

ie: if the immersion has separate DP 'local isolation'

the timers only single-pole switching...

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

The switch I want to change is in the kitchen.

The immersion has one on/off switch in the hotpress which is always on, and the switch in the kitchen which we use to switch the immersion on/off. Sometimes it can be left on for ages as we have to physically switch the switch off when we are finished with it. Hence I would like to change to on/off switch to a timer to cut down on the length of time it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Might be silly question but would the timer switch above screw into the same wall fitting when the existing one is removed?

The existing one is a standard one like this
    http://www.lenehans.ie/lenehans/Main/Product2.asp?ProdID=783

Reason I ask is that it's tiled around and I would like to avoid having to rearrange the tiles etc.

• Advertisement

it should do

sometimes the tiles are protruding in over the flush box and they have to be chipped out

usually it'll be ok

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/water-heating.php

that's a horstmann

prob better quality than the timeguard if that's the type of control you want

CEF sell these

Advertisement