Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan - where to feed 60 kids 10pm at night

Options
  • 11-10-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Anyone have any suggestions on where in Lucan could I get somewhere that would feed a group of 60 12-16 year olds at 10pm on a Saturday night. Its a group coming back from International Rules at Croker. Would need somewhere that they could sit down - cheap and cheerful. 2 hours journey to contend with after this stop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

There's a McDonalds Drive Thru at Liffey Valley retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can you book tables in a chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd give the spa hotel a shout, they have a big restaurant in the hotel or failing that the county bar have a good size function room upstairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ever heard of a packed lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ever heard of a packed lunch?

Not practical for the length of time involved.

There's McDonalds at Liffey Valley and down at Maxol in the village (ish) but I'd phone in advance to make sure they'll be capable of serving you quickly - 60 turning up unannounced can cause absolute mayhem. Also one in Maynooth but its further off the N4 than either of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MYOB wrote: »

There's McDonalds at Liffey Valley and down at Maxol in the village (ish) but I'd phone in advance to make sure they'll be capable of serving you quickly - 60 turning up unannounced can cause absolute mayhem. Also one in Maynooth but its further off the N4 than either of the above.

McDonald's by superquinn. Lord lucan pub or pub in the village.
    Kates cafe in the village

Pub can't let kids in at 10pm, food or no food. McDonalds Superquinn closes at half 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

What about the Italian restaurant in Griffeen?
    Can't think of the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ring a pub or hotel and book something in advance with them. You can't just turn up with 60 kids/adults at 10pm anywhere. Even McDonalds wouldn't be expecting that. Isn't there Eddie Rockets in LV? ER usually open late. Full of people from the cinema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

iggy wrote: »
    What about the Italian restaurant in Griffeen?
    Can't think of the name.
    Di Bella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Clarion Hotel - would have to be away from bar area to overcome the 9pm curfew, it changes from 10pm in Sept,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Do the 12 to 16 year olds have mothers etc who can help them pack a lunch ?

I am sure most of them would know how to make a sandwich without any help too.

If you think about they have a 2 hr trip 3 hrs for the match then 2 hrs back.

So either they eat before the trip, then bring a pack lunch. But regardless you can't bring 60 people on a trip and not have pre-planned a rest stop and somewhere to eat in that time.

Do the 12 to 16 year olds have mothers etc who can help them pack a lunch ?

I am sure most of them would know how to make a sandwich without any help too.

Its not practical for the length of time involved - not their age, not their parents, not their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd agree with making sure to contact wherever you might be considering for this stop in advance (not as you're leaving Croke Park!!).

Many years ago I worked in a burger/kebab place and the entire cast of a play/show/ballet (can't remember exactly what) that were performing nearby descended with a mammoth order for fast food, and caused complete bedlam for the day.

I'm sure lots of places, if they can gear up for it in advance, would be very thankful for that amount of business just before closing on a Saturday night.

Its not practical for the length of time involved - not their age, not their parents, not their abilities.

How so. Its a 7 hour period. Same as hike or a working /school day. They are min 12~16?

beauf wrote: »
    How so. Its a 7 hour period. Same as hike or a working /school day. They are min 12~16?

I make it significantly more than 7 hours - 2 hours from Lucan would suggest, with match traffic, 3 hours each way and likely 3+ hours at the venue.

I take it you've never had to deal with 60 kids for that long?

I'm going to go with the times given rather than just making them up.

Back to the question. Why is a packed lunch not practical? People bring them to work, school, hiking even climb mountains on a packed lunch. I don't get why you think its not practical. Isn't that the point of a packed lunch? That is one of the most practical means of supplying food?

That's entirely separate to the issue of pre-booking a rest stop and food in advance for such a large party at that time of night. It what coach trips do, and hotels its bread and butter business for hotels, and places that do pub grub and other such food outlets.

I'm going to go with the times given rather than just making them up.

The first mention of 7 hours came from you. May want to reconsider accusations of "making them up".
    Back to the question. Why is a packed lunch not practical? People bring them to work, school, hiking even climb mountains on a packed lunch. I don't get why you think its not practical. Isn't that the point of a packed lunch? That is one of the most practical means of supplying food?

That's entirely separate to the issue of pre-booking a rest stop and food in advance for such a large party at that time of night. It what coach trips do, and hotels its bread and butter business for hotels, and places that do pub grub and other such food outlets.

Its a lengthy period, involving time outdoors/effectively outdoors, and evening/night times. A cold, many hours old packed lunch is not sufficient.

People climbing mountains will have a source of heating for food with them (not to mention that what they bring is about as far from a 'packed lunch' as you can imagine) - are you going to suggest they bring a camping gas stove or 20 on the bus?

You obviously have zero experience of having to deal with that many kids for that long. I, unfortunately, have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Think the OP clearly mentions that a packed lunch dosen't suit. Just like the thread title says "where to feed".

• Advertisement

The first mention of 7 hours came from you. May want to reconsider accusations of "making them up".

OP says 2hrs journey Aussie rules, then Lucan at 10.
    Its a lengthy period, involving time outdoors/effectively outdoors, and evening/night times. A cold, many hours old packed lunch is not sufficient.

People climbing mountains will have a source of heating for food with them (not to mention that what they bring is about as far from a 'packed lunch' as you can imagine) - are you going to suggest they bring a camping gas stove or 20 on the bus?

You obviously have zero experience of having to deal with that many kids for that long. I, unfortunately, have.

Did a day hike/outing a couple of weekends ago. about 150 ish. Younger age group. 10am till 6pm. Packed lunch suitable for two breaks. No hot food. pretty normal tbh. Will have another tomorrow. Worked all day on building sites with just a pack lunch in all weathers too. Nothing remarkable about it. It not a lengthy time. Its a normal day. Why you're expecting lord of the flies on a day trip on a coach I just don't get.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Think the OP clearly mentions that a packed lunch dosen't suit. Just like the thread title says "where to feed".

Oh no argument about that. You'd expect to pull in somewhere. But just prebook it. Thats just sensible.

But I wasn't asking MYOB about that. I was wondering why he thought packed lunch isn't suitable for a normal day trip.

Just idle curiosity as it occurred to me as a kid, any trip like that was always packed lunches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

You're like a bunch of bickering schoolgirls. The OP said a packed lunch is not sufficient.

Why do some people have to nitpick at everything. Life can't be that crushingly dull.

OP, I'd also suggest the Clarion Liffey Valley. I've often seen groups of children in there in the evening.

OP says 2hrs journey Aussie rules, then Lucan at 10.

2 hours from Lucan. You ever driven to/from Croke Park on a match day?
    Did a day hike/outing a couple of weekends ago. about 150 ish. Younger age group. 10am till 6pm. Packed lunch suitable for two breaks. No hot food. pretty normal tbh. Will have another tomorrow. Worked all day on building sites with just a pack lunch in all weathers too. Nothing remarkable about it. It not a lengthy time. Its a normal day. Why you're expecting lord of the flies on a day trip on a coach I just don't get.

10am to 6pm gets people back at the time they'd be expecting dinner, and out before the evening gets particularly cold. Eating at 10pm with an expected home time of midnight is not comparable, at all.

A packed lunch will not suffice - bringing in random, different situations to try and make them fit doesn't work. This isn't the "normal day trip" you're representing it as.

You said a packed lunch wasn't suitable for that length of time. It was the length of time, rather than any other factors.

I only gave situations in my experience, because you queried my experience.

Anyway, forget it, If you don't want to discuss it, then don't. You don't have to reply.

You said a packed lunch wasn't suitable for that length of time. It was the length of time, rather than any other factors.

Yes, nine hours with a packed lunch isn't suitable. You gave an example of less time with two meals.

...Why do some people have to nitpick at everything. Life can't be that crushingly dull..

Ignoring the irony of that for a moment. You could use that argument for any reply to a question on the web. Have any of us not got something better to do! :D

We normally go for a pizza after croker, then when we're done the crowds are gone. But normally the matches are earlier. I was wondering about a late match myself. Also the demise of packed lunches. But lets leave it there eh?

Yes, nine hours with a packed lunch isn't suitable. You gave an example of less time with two meals.

Actually it was two packed lunches and I didn't include journey time to the drop off and from the pick up. Could be 10 hours if you want to build in a healthy margin of error.

If they are going out the lucan road theres an Apple Green services out the the M4 also.

Just an idea Probably cheaper and better to book somewhere else though, as others have suggested.

• Advertisement

If they are going out the lucan road theres an Apple Green services out the the M4 also. .

Closed for all but toilets and tea/coffee at that hour, even the seating closes at 11 at the latest.

Advertisement