Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre In Athy

Options
  • 11-10-2013 2:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like we might have Fibre in athy by the end of November? Vodafone knocked on the door earlier looking to sign people up and a few people have mentioned it to as well, im already with them but out of contract so going to hang on and see what offers are available when its in. dont get tricked into a new contract with your broadband provider at the door until you check out what offers the other places have!

About time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Strange I'm with Eircom and have been keeping an eye on the Map for eFibre (http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/)
    and Athy is and always has been in the Jan-Mar '14 when it will be launching

But I just did a check on my phone number and it says coming in Nov-13 - happy days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yep, its being put in because of the schools i believe, so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Who are the main broadband providers in Athy please? Or the best? Looking to possibly purchase a house in the area and already have a fear of useless internet!

missmyler wrote: »
    Who are the main broadband providers in Athy please? Or the best? Looking to possibly purchase a house in the area and already have a fear of useless internet!

Eircom & Vodafone would be main two
    Sky Broadband arrived earlier this year too
    UPC are not in my general area (cannot speak for rest of Athy)
    and I believe ITV were also selling 24mb broadband at one point

From what I've heard and my own experience Eircom & Vodafone are best
    I'm on 8mb NGB and it is very consistent
    Haven't heard any reports about Sky yet - with fibre coming soon, you shouldn't fear about useless broadband
    Just keep away from the companies that offer satellite broadband service

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Pablod wrote: »

Haven't heard any reports about Sky yet - with fibre coming soon, you shouldn't fear about useless broadband

Hope this helps

That's great thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I am currently on 150mb from UPC so am spoilt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

I spotted Eircom working on a cabinet on the traffic light island at Kildare Rd. junction during the week, maybe connected to this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Could be, should be up and running by end of November hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hope this helps

With the exception of UPC who have their own, all of them use the eircom network, the only difference is where the call centre is based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Strange I'm with Eircom and have been keeping an eye on the Map for eFibre (http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/)
    and Athy is and always has been in the Jan-Mar '14 when it will be launching

But I just did a check on my phone number and it says coming in Nov-13 - happy days

checked mine just there and it says jan to mar 14, maybe because im not eircom they are not giving me the full detail,

I did see eircom vans in our estate on tuesday so maybe ,they are upgrading our estate soon

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Just as an update they have a fibre cabinet installed on the Carlow road located between the church and the Maxol petrol station. It's on opposite side of the road from the old cabinet. They are currently installing a cabinet in the housing estate next to Coneyboro and afaik will be then going into Coneyboro to install one there. At least I hope they will be :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I live about 2 miles outside the town, and it looks like the only fibre I'll be getting will be from the All Bran.

5mb is the fastest that my line is capable of taking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

ffocused wrote: »
    I spotted Eircom working on a cabinet on the traffic light island at Kildare Rd. junction during the week, maybe connected to this?

Nope, totally different infrastructure/hardware, same technology though, cant share because of licencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Yawns wrote: »
    Just as an update they have a fibre cabinet installed on the Carlow road located between the church and the Maxol petrol station. It's on opposite side of the road from the old cabinet. They are currently installing a cabinet in the housing estate next to Coneyboro and afaik will be then going into Coneyboro to install one there. At least I hope they will be :D

Happy days, great stuff. Stuck with Sky for another few months though. We'll see if they offer anything.

well they did the one by the church and the one in the estate before Coneyboro is not fully done yet I think. They didn't go into Coneyboro as of yet and I've not seen them about since. Either way it won't be up and running by this year at all. It's still set for Jan March 2014 so it could even be later if normal operations apply.

We will be live in Feb 14 now according to the updated efibre map. Timing is just right for me as my Sky BB contract is up in April.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

ffocused wrote: »
    We will be live in Feb 14 now according to the updated efibre map. Timing is just right for me as my Sky BB contract is up in April.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Just got efibre in Kildare Town.

Efibre is now available in my estate (The Hollands) 3 new cabinets went live in the last few days at entrance to estate.
    Eircom online order system giving a lead time of 1 month for activation. I have queried the wait time on Eircoms talk to forum before going ahead with it if anyone else is interested.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057159946

I'm not getting anything other than "eFibre is coming to your area: Mar-14"

I'm in Coneyboro. They didn't upgrade the cabinet at the start of the housing estate, but the next cabinet up has been upgraded. It's not that far away so they will prob not do the other cab.

Check your nearest fibre cabinet for a yellow sticker with serial number on it. If it does not have a sticker, it's not live yet.
    There are 3 New cabinets at entrance to Rheban Manor/Holland's & the stickers only went up in last few days.

Anyone gotten Fibre yet?

Still showing as Mar - 14 on their website only. I did check the nearest fibre cabinets that time and they had yellow stickers on them.

• Advertisement

Nothing yet. Saw on face muck that eircon were in the estate today. So maybe soon.

You're in Coneyboro also if I'm correct? I didn't see anything about Eircom about but I did come across a response on Eircoms own forums about not all of Athy will go live and that some parts of the town will only be upgraded over the course of the next 18 months. So as usual it'll be at least dbl that in real terms.

You're in Coneyboro also if I'm correct? I didn't see anything about Eircom about but I did come across a response on Eircoms own forums about not all of Athy will go live and that some parts of the town will only be upgraded over the course of the next 18 months. So as usual it'll be at least dbl that in real terms.

Yup I'm on the meadows.

Just checked fb. Somebody commented on T Redmonds page that eircom were in the estate today. Redmond was taking about getting a phone mast attached to the water Tower beside the Burrows.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fendy

Yep, I'm on fibre broadband with Vodafone since 14 March, on the Carlow road in Athy.

Just had an Eircom rep at the door who told me it was indeed active in the area as of yesterday. I queried this because when I check my line on their website it still says I can't. He checked his tablet which had my address down as able to get it but I just checked there now again online and nothing as of yet. I'm still in contract with Sky for another 7 weeks so plenty of time before I have to switch.

Just thought I'd give a heads up as he did say the speed was limited to 25 down / 7 up atm which is still a massive improvement anyway but that it could take 6 months or so before we will see speeds of 100.

Was also informed that you can have just the broadband on it's own without the phone for €35 a month. I can't see that info on the Eircom website. All I can see is phone & Broadband for €35 for 6 months, then €50 after on a 18 month contract. I forgot to ask what the cap was if any but I'll find that out when my contract is up and I go looking around. I'll defo be leaving Sky as they are not offering fibre atm and seem to be delaying massively in trying to roll it out.

If anyone has fibre in, how has it been for you so far? Should be 1:1 contention but how has it been in the evenings.

Hmm actually I only have to wait 5 weeks for contract to end. Even better timing :)

Just had an Eircom rep at the door who told me it was indeed active in the area as of yesterday. I queried this because when I check my line on their website it still says I can't. He checked his tablet which had my address down as able to get it but I just checked there now again online and nothing as of yet. I'm still in contract with Sky for another 7 weeks so plenty of time before I have to switch.

Just thought I'd give a heads up as he did say the speed was limited to 25 down / 7 up atm which is still a massive improvement anyway but that it could take 6 months or so before we will see speeds of 100.

Was also informed that you can have just the broadband on it's own without the phone for €35 a month. I can't see that info on the Eircom website. All I can see is phone & Broadband for €35 for 6 months, then €50 after on a 18 month contract. I forgot to ask what the cap was if any but I'll find that out when my contract is up and I go looking around. I'll defo be leaving Sky as they are not offering fibre atm and seem to be delaying massively in trying to roll it out.

If anyone has fibre in, how has it been for you so far? Should be 1:1 contention but how has it been in the evenings.

I'm with Eircom and in coneyboro and seen the reps around
    They appear to be only calling to houses that are non-eircom customers to try win them back.
    Still no sign of Fibre on my line yet.

• Advertisement

I was expecting a call with install date today after ordering last month, but heard nothing yet. A rep did call to the door today & confirmed cabinet went live yesterday in Rheban Manor/Hollands. Their was a fibre branded van calling to a few houses in estate yesterday too.

Advertisement