Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre In Athy

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Installed free, but for a cost .... They did a 'straight swap' for my dad as well and charged him for everything, having been with them for as long as I can remember. It was all done while I was on holidays and I had no clue it was going on. I'd normally look after these things for him.

I called Eircom again this evening to confirm
    Like rameire said, it is being switched on 11th Feb and I can call a week before hand to arrange installation:

For existing customers:
    as long as you are an existing broadband customer
    They arrange for an engineer to call out with new modem and install
    Modem and installation free of charge

Increases/Changes
    18 month Contract
    Monthly bill goes up €3 a month for eFibre all other call packages stay same but receive a discount of €5 a month applies for 1st four months

Hope this helps
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Pablo, under your contract I assume is the up to 24mb plan as is mine just you are eircon and I am VF
    the wording would have said
    Once your exchange is upgraded to the Enhanced broadband service, you'll then be switched to the higher speed profile.

so im thinking get the upgrade to the 24mb as is under your current contract, see how that goes and then maybe upgrade to the Bran Fiber plan if you want the evision pack.

as we are not going to get more than 50mb.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    Pablo, under your contract I assume is the up to 24mb plan as is mine just you are eircon and I am VF
    the wording would have said

so im thinking get the upgrade to the 24mb as is under your current contract, see how that goes and then maybe upgrade to the Bran Fiber plan if you want the evision pack.

as we are not going to get more than 50mb.

This was the case in the past,
    when it was standard Broadband then NGB arrived I was upgraded to NGB automatically with no price change
    But only for the 8mb NGB broadband

must dig out or request a copy of my contract, as its been a rolling contract for last 8 years :rolleyes:

checked vodafone speed for my line and is now showing as 100mb

was in contact with vodafone today, hoping to get the speed up to near the 24mb as under my contract,
    queried the efiber in the area and can this have an effect on me getting better speeds,
    was told that the efiber works off a different line so will not be getting the 24mb.

so Ill be stuck with what I have unless I change my contract.

checked vodafone speed for my line and is now showing as 100mb

was in contact with vodafone today, hoping to get the speed up to near the 24mb as under my contract,
    queried the efiber in the area and can this have an effect on me getting better speeds,
    was told that the efiber works off a different line so will not be getting the 24mb.

so Ill be stuck with what I have unless I change my contract.

pretty much what I got from eircom too.
    They wont give me efibre on my current package.
    But it will only cost me an extra €3 a month to get it

• Advertisement

just an update.

got the efiber with Vodafone.
    got a discount on the price, couldnt get discounts online, so had to wait for a call, so when they rang me I got anytime calls to ireland and uk included.

max is 50mb

just did a test and 48mb download
    and 19 upload

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

just an update.

got the efiber with Vodafone.
    got a discount on the price, couldnt get discounts online, so had to wait for a call, so when they rang me I got anytime calls to ireland and uk included.

max is 50mb

just did a test and 48mb download
    and 19 upload

Is that still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"efibre" speed is entirely dependent on your (copper, not fibre) line quality and length - no valid comparisons can be made to anyone other than possibly your direct neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Is that still the case?

I jumped onto efibre as soon as it came out and was told 50 at first as well but I moved to another area of Athy and when I was talking to them, they said 100 was available.

A quick speedtest atm is showing 85.85 d/l & 17.35 up with 18ms ping time. That's with about 5 devices currently connected and using the internet over a combination of wireless and wired. Skype being one of the uses as well so yeah, pretty good.

Is that still the case?

I am still getting relatively similar speeds

some recent tests
    28/10 - 40 and 19
    26/10 - 46 and 25
    11/09 - 45 and 25
    27/06 - 48 and 13

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ring vodafone Rameire, I'm with them and on the 100mb package. Same cost €38 per month all in on an 18 month contract. See if they will increase your d/l speed.

I remember at the time when I first signed up and it was 50, I asked what happens when it goes to 100 and they said it would be auto upgrade to the 100mb speed with no extra cost or contract. Just ring em and ask about it.

Advertisement