Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Personal insults to people that you don't know.

I'm just glad you identified yourself as a recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

HansHolzel wrote: »
    I'm just glad you identified yourself as a recipient.

Why? What differences does it make?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

I think you have misinterpreted what beal bocht means. It is exaggerating your circumstances negatively, particularly financially, to evoke sympathy or charity and not to bad mouth somebody or somewhere.

Apologies if I was less than clear in my post. I meant it in the context that some of the Paddy and Petula Murphy's of this world like you to think they saved up for months to eat at some mid-priced restaurant, and that it wasn't as good as expected. That the entire evening was an ordeal, when they really should just have raised the issue with the service staff or manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

A generous tipper makes for a generous lover, intellectual sparring partner and giver of time. Meanness and stinginess are traits I abhor in a man or woman.

Makes for an arrogant and egotistical person with tendencies towards delusions of grandeur if this thread is anything to go by.

Apologies if I was less than clear in my post. I meant it in the context that some of the Paddy and Petula Murphy's of this world like you to think they saved up for months to eat at some mid-priced restaurant, and that it wasn't as good as expected. That the entire evening was an ordeal, when they really should just have raised the issue with the service staff or manager.

Did a filthy commoner put one right off their quail eggs recently ? How dreadful....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Is there any service industry that you never tip? I was just thinking about how I always tip my hairdresser but never tip in the beauticians... I think I have some making up to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Mooby wrote: »
    Is there any service industry that you never tip? I was just thinking about how I always tip my hairdresser but never tip in the beauticians... I think I have some making up to do.

Such audacity to think that (US)taxi drivers expect tips after they take long route. I once told one I didn't want to tip when a number of tip options were displayed on screen.. 20%, 25%, 30%. He then pointed to the smallest one which was 20%. I then had to awkwardly ask "how do I not tip?" I was confused and in a rush and in the end, ended up tipping the 20% which was $8. They have tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Makes for an arrogant and egotistical person with tendencies towards delusions of grandeur if this thread is anything to go by.

Try looking in the mirror if you're looking for delusions e.g. of basic human decency.

Try looking in the mirror if you're looking for delusions e.g. of basic human decency.

Eh I know you are but what am I ? :rolleyes:

Seriously if people want more for their service they should charge it. Its the epitome of stupidity to charge less for a service than you actual want for a service and then expect people to pay extra to make it up for fear of being seen as stingy.

As it stands I dont think anyone in Ireland expects to get paid a % extra on every transaction in the form of tips. Its a voluntarily paid bonus on top of an agreed price. Nice to get it when ya do but not necessary all the time and long may it stay that way. The only people I see who have an issue with that are those with a holier than thou attitude who think throwing about some cash elevates them above the common folk.

I assume all you guys tipping give money to every person that is homeless as well - decent thing to do and all that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Yet again a Boards thread has amply demonstrated how many miserable, tight-fisted w*nkers are out there and willing to try to justify their obnoxious meanness.
    Actually that would be the "Cries of Retail" thread, where people not only go out of their way to not pay the advertised price for a service but come up with all manner of pathetic excuses to get the service for free. Not one person in this thread has wanted to pay less than what the service has advertised their worth as. What has come up over and over again are the following:

1 Why is it only certain service jobs that we are expected to automatically tip? Ireland has a minimum wage and whether you are working in McDonalds or an up market restaurant, you are guaranteed a set wage.

2 If employers want to pay their staff an extra 10%, what not just raise the menu prices by 10%?

3 Why chose a service charge as the extra % to highlight? When I want to buy something, I want to know how much the company want to charge me in total. I don't want to see a breakdown of tax, staff cost, electricity costs or any other overheads. Is it too much to ask that you tell me up front how much you think your service is worth?

I assume all you guys tipping give money to every person that is homeless as well - decent thing to do and all that....

I try my best and very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I tip unless I have a complaint, I give money when asked on the street unless I have a complaint, ie I am being made to feel uncomfortable/unsafe.

I tip unless I have a complaint, I give money when asked on the street unless I have a complaint, ie I am being made to feel uncomfortable/unsafe.

Where do you usually hang out ? I could use a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'd generally tip whenever I feel obliged to but only if I have it.

Always, always, always tip your barber as they make more of an effort if they know you, that's what I find anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Always, always, always tip your barber as they make more of an effort if they know you, that's what I find anyway.

My barber knows me well as a regular customer for over 30 years. He always treats me well and does an excellent job. I pay what he asks and never tip him. Indeed, I can just see his face if I went to give him a tip. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Where do you usually hang out ? I could use a few quid.

Amsterdam.

I'd always round it up to €25 after getting a haircut. I've formed a real rapport with my barber, and like to show my gratitude by tipping a couple of euro extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

€25 for a haircut? Jesus wept... I've had a massage from a naked Thai girl in Bangkok on a large round bed for €20. My barber charged 80c for a haircut but I'd go mad and give him €1.

I'd always round it up to €25 after getting a haircut. I've formed a real rapport with my barber, and like to show my gratitude by tipping a couple of euro extra.

€25 - if your paying that for a haircut - no wonder your tipping (got way to much money) :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

€25 for a hair cut? Any wonder he has a rapport with you. €12 is the norm here. Some are €10. He should be showing his gratitude, not the other way round.

My hairdresser charges 30 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 YossiA

I really appreciate when a taxi driver rounds down the fair to the nearest euro, when this happens I give a generous tip.

€25 for a hair cut? Any wonder he has a rapport with you. €12 is the norm here. Some are €10. He should be showing his gratitude, not the other way round.

I feel €21 is good value for the service provided and the quality of the cut. And I round it up to show my gratitude for his skills and customer service. Plenty of places in the city centre charge north of €20. And they do good business. Nothing worse than a cheap and nasty haircut on a man. The whole Pat Shortt look needs to disappear.

YossiA wrote: »
    I really appreciate when a taxi driver rounds down the fair to the nearest euro, when this happens I give a generous tip.

they are pretty much screwing themselves over by doing that. no point having receipts for tax purposes that show more than what you actually charged.

I feel €21 is good value for the service provided and the quality of the cut. And I round it up to show my gratitude for his skills and customer service. Plenty of places in the city centre charge north of €20. And they do good business. Nothing worse than a cheap and nasty haircut on a man. The whole Pat Shortt look needs to disappear.
    . Just because a hair cut is a tenner makes it neither cheap nor nasty. What service is provided? My barber offers a decent cup of coffee, has the TV if we wish, is polite and does an excellent job. He is more than happy with the fee charged (as we discussed it many times when he had failed to increase it for 2 years from €10). Trying to justify an exorbitant fee is one thing but compounding it by pretensions regarding an added tip doesn't cut the mustard.

A barber that is charging 10 euro won't be able to spend much more than 15 or 20 minutes with their client.

I enjoy a barber who will take his time, who has professional training, a wide range of hair products, and doesn't leave you looking like a man heading down to a local GAA pitch to watch a load of mucksavages fighting over a ball.

Being able to watch Jeremy Kyle and drink a cup of instant Maxwell House wouldn't really impress me, I'm afraid.

A barber that is charging 10 euro won't be able to spend much more than 15 or 20 minutes with their client.

I enjoy a barber who will take his time, who has professional training, a wide range of hair products, and doesn't leave you looking like a man heading down to a local GAA pitch to watch a load of mucksavages fighting over a ball.

Being able to watch Jeremy Kyle and drink a cup of instant Maxwell House wouldn't really impress me, I'm afraid.

Well then you stuck up - you obv see yourself above the average Joe on the street.

When I go to a barber I don't want to be there for the day - in and out, and let me style the hair I want to with gel.

Oh, I get it now! You're deliberately being provocative. :) You're the same person talking about the razz and putting incompetent service workers in their place on other threads. I get it now alright and I took the bait. Maxwell House, that brings back memories. Haven't had instant coffee in years - anyway I'll tip and tip well when the circumstances dictate, but day to day dealings don't require it. If I tipped for every service I received I'd be broke. What with 6 lunches a week and 2 to 3 evening meals I'd be out an additional €80 or so per week at least. Add in taxis , barbers, coffe shops, bar staff etc and it doesn't bear thinking about the overall cost.
    I may have a decent pension but there are limits even so as to how I'll distribute it.

No matter, I'm done rising to your bait.

• Advertisement

15-20 minutes doesnt limit people to cheap nasty cuts. I personally go to a hair salon where I have my coat taken, offered tea/coffee, paper, hair washed, conditioned, takes in and around 20 minutes for an excellent cut and costs €12.

Paying more doesnt guarantee a better service or cut either. You seem like the type of person who thinks the more money you have/spend the better you are. Trouble is its gonna cost you a fortune to keep that fantasy up. I'm sure your barber and whoever else you pay to befriend you will be only too happy to oblige though while your bubble stays intact :D

Advertisement