Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Mooby wrote: »
    My hairdresser charges 30 :/

My last two were €33 that includes 20% off.

I gave a €5 tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

30 quid is a foppish luxury cut? Jesus wept. Try seeing what people try to charge you if you have the temerity to have a vagina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Tilikum wrote: »

I gave a €5 tipp.

I will usually tip 3-5 euro depending on what I have on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

€25 for a hair cut? Any wonder he has a rapport with you. €12 is the norm here. Some are €10. He should be showing his gratitude, not the other way round.
    Hair cuts are a rip off. I have very long hair. Think Game of Thrones long. It is also curly so hairdressers don't have to get it perfectly straight as I don't have layers. If I was to ask for a wet cut, which would basically consist of the person holding down the ends of my hair and trimming it, it would take all of 2 minutes (and that's if they are taking their time). Usually I get friends to trim my hair. The last time I enquired in a hairdressers about getting my hair trimmed, I was told I would have to get it washed, cut and blow dried and it would be at least €50. On what planet should I pay €50 for services I don't need, plus give 10% to an underpaid trainee to do something that doesn't actually require much skill?

On the same sorta topic, can women go into a barbers and get a straight trim without paying huge amounts of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This "I'm an out-of-touch, snobby rich guy" persona has been done on so many forums.

As they say at Wimbledon: New trolls please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

It's great that this thread spun out of control into haircuts.

Maybe the UN should be transformed into a giant salon and world peace would break out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    2 If employers want to pay their staff an extra 10%, what not just raise the menu prices by 10%?

Because the business and the customer would pay more tax.

In fact everyone advocating including it in the price , is advocating paying more tax.

So who should the money go to, the server or the Government?

In fact tipping is a form a tax avoidance, as it is rare in Irleland for tips to be declared as income, unlike in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

MadsL wrote: »

In fact everyone advocating including it in the price , is advocating paying more tax.

In fact tipping is a form a tax avoidance, as it is rare in Irleland for tips to be declared as income, unlike in the US.
    And there we have it. People who don't tip are tight, stingy arseholes who should be paying people cash in hand so they can avoid paying tax :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tilikum wrote: »

I gave a €5 tipp.

Bigger fool you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

€25 for a haircut? Good lord.

I could get 8 packs of the razors I use to shave my head for that, that's 32 high quality razors. That's close to a year of "haircuts" for the same price as one of yours. And it's done in 2/3 minutes while showering, no messing about with coffee for 25 minutes and no appointment needed.

• Advertisement

Now we get to the crux! At last! Tipping is seen by you as a form of tax avoidance.
    I want them to pay tax on it. I paid tax on it. We need them to pay their fair share of tax on it too. It's what makes our country function. We are not run by the Democratic party here in Ireland. We pay tax so we can offer medical services, schools, social welfare etc to all who need it. It's far from perfect but we try.
    You tip so they avoid tax. BULL! Add the 10% or 15% to the bill. Be honest and be up front.
    That said, I truly believe you are just pulling legs and faking this persona for arguments sake or to portray some sort of image of a success story. Because nobody could really be so naive to believe all that.

Now we get to the crux! At last! Tipping is seen by you as a form of tax avoidance.

In Ireland it is...technically tips should be declared as income. They are in the US. I'm not arguing for tax avoidance - I'm just describing it.
    I want them to pay tax on it. I paid tax on it. We need them to pay their fair share of tax on it too. It's what makes our country function. We are not run by the Democratic party here in Ireland. We pay tax so we can offer medical services, schools, social welfare etc to all who need it. It's far from perfect but we try.

I would prefer the servers to pay tax too. I would prefer to see a normalised situation of tipping as in the US and servers paying tax on it.

However, by this argument of they should add the tip to the menu, what anti-tippers are saying is rather than the server get that money, the owner should get it and therefore pay more in VAT and company taxes.
    You tip so they avoid tax. BULL!
    Where did I say that?
    Add the 10% or 15% to the bill. Be honest and be up front.

I do. How am I not being "honest and be up front?":confused:
    That said, I truly believe you are just pulling legs and faking this persona for arguments sake or to portray some sort of image of a success story.
    Why do you think that?
    Because nobody could really be so naive to believe all that.

Believe what ?? :confused::confused:

You tip so they avoid tax. BULL! Add the 10% or 15% to the bill. Be honest and be up front.
    That said, I truly believe you are just pulling legs and faking this persona for arguments sake or to portray some sort of image of a success story. Because nobody could really be so naive to believe all that.

I tip so they can avoid tax. These are not well paying professions. If someone gets 2-5 euro they don't pay tax on, good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I tip so they can avoid tax. These are not well paying professions. If someone gets 2-5 euro they don't pay tax on, good.

Not well paid? There are guys on here paying in excess of €30 for a hair cut, so the barber is getting minimum €45 an hour depending on how long he spends on each head.

If that's not well paid I don't know what is.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Not well paid? There are guys on here paying in excess of €30 for a hair cut, so the barber is getting minimum €45 an hour depending on how long he spends on each head.

I used to pay €45 for a haircut, and it certainly took more than an hour.

I'd tip the hairwasher not the hairdresser as it was his salon, and he was doing really well with professional gigs from Wella, over to London/Vegas every few months...

Assuming the barber owns his own business and has no overheads, sure.

Also assuming I tip barbers, which I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I used to pay €45 for a haircut, and it certainly took more than an hour.

I'd tip the hairwasher not the hairdresser as it was his salon, and he was doing really well with professional gigs from Wella, over to London/Vegas every few months...

Did you tip the waiter for the tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

€25 for a haircut? Good lord.

I could get 8 packs of the razors I use to shave my head for that, that's 32 high quality razors. That's close to a year of "haircuts" for the same price as one of yours. And it's done in 2/3 minutes while showering, no messing about with coffee for 25 minutes and no appointment needed.

Yes but you shave your head. Which doesn't really count for a haircut. Well, cut, yes, style..no.

Did you tip the waiter for the tea?

Huh?

The hairwasher would generally ask if you wanted tea, coffee, juice, wine, etc.

Waiter?

Huh?

The hairwasher would generally ask if you wanted tea, coffee, juice, wine, etc.

Waiter?
    In Ireland today one's stylist usually offers tea, which is brought as silver service by a waiter. One is expected to tip said waiter. Quite the done thing in all quality hair salons today. The doorman should also be tipped as he leads you to your car afterwards. And of course never forget to tip the receptionist who handled your reservation lest she doesn't make an appointment available next time - in which circumstances the only alternative available is to tip the stylist and skip the queue.

• Advertisement

In Ireland today one's stylist usually offers tea, which is brought as silver service by a waiter. One is expected to tip said waiter. Quite the done thing in all quality hair salons today. The doorman should also be tipped as he leads you to your car afterwards. And of course never forget to tip the receptionist who handled your reservation lest she doesn't make an appointment available next time - in which circumstances the only alternative available is to tip the stylist and skip the queue.

Very drole.

I believe they have the solution to your problem, apparently now they have trousers with shallow pockets, y'know, to compensate for your short arms.

Very drole.

I believe they have the solution to your problem, apparently now they have trousers with shallow pockets, y'know, to compensate for your short arms.

Oh, I tip handsomely when appropriate. Money is made to around and I spread plenty of it. I just don't do so with pretensions.

And in case I forget - trousers? Surely to you it's pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I tip more in the US than I do in Ireland but I tip in both countries.

Partially because tipping in the US gets you better service next time. In Ireland it gets you nothing.

Also waiters depend on tips in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

If everyone in America tips the normal 15-20% and slips the maitre'd/hotel front desk staff $20 for faster service/better rooms, doesn't everyone then end up getting the same service/room because everyone is doing it?

I agree with the main consensus here that in Ireland tipping is not expected. Even within Europe, having travelled a lot in the UK, France and Germany for business, its not expected - and thats the opinion of locals. America is the only place I have found that when you go to a restaurant, and receive the bill, its the only place you have to write up the total amount yourself to include the tip.

Btw, the wiki article on tipping, gives a good breakdown of tipping customs by country. The trend across most of Europe is that tipping is not expected or customary, only ~10% in restaurants to reward good service.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_%28gratuity%29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

There should be more tipping. Tip everyone. Someone does something good? Tip them. But only if they do something good. If they just do their job then they should be paid their wage. Do they do something particularly impressive? Go above and beyond? Tip them. Are they in a job where they can't or don't normally accept tips? Send them a present. Don't expect anything in return, but let someone feel appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Lyaiera wrote: »
    There should be more tipping. Tip everyone. Someone does something good? Tip them. But only if they do something good. If they just do their job then they should be paid their wage. Do they do something particularly impressive? Go above and beyond? Tip them. Are they in a job where they can't or don't normally accept tips? Send them a present. Don't expect anything in return, but let someone feel appreciated.

Ironic to think that if you tipped a good samaritan helping you with a flat tire, they'd probably refuse it. Or imagine if you offered a tip to someone who held a door open for you. It's no different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

If everyone in America tips the normal 15-20% and slips the maitre'd/hotel front desk staff $20 for faster service/better rooms, doesn't everyone then end up getting the same service/room because everyone is doing it?

Not only that but those jobs become extremely well paid if everyone is tipping 20% of the cost of their meal/drinks direct to the servers on top of their wages.

When I was in America back in a by gone era the busboy/server jobs around the holidays were a hot commodity. People actually bought and sold them because whoever got the job would make a killing off tips. You're talking hundreds of dollars a night.

So I never got the whole poor service staff thing while I was over there. Granted that was in areas that would be packed on the holidays but if those jobs when at their busiest were yielding close to a thousand dollars a weekend for some and probably more for others I'm not sure they would be all that bad off in a place with regular custom.

So here with people already guaranteed a minimum wage and tips not even accounted for as far as someone income is concerned. It makes zero sense to argue that people should be obliged to hand over extra money to certain people in certain jobs. A shelf stacker on minimum wage would be expected to tip a waitress/barber/taxi driver who earns more than him.

If people have it to give away then by all means give away. But if they think for a second everyone should be expected to give away their hard earned money to appear this or that then they can go to hell or fcuk off back to the states as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, I tip handsomely when appropriate. Money is made to around and I spread plenty of it. I just don't do so with pretensions.

And in case I forget - trousers? Surely to you it's pants!

Pretentious? Moi?

Not only that but those jobs become extremely well paid if everyone is tipping 20% of the cost of their meal/drinks direct to the servers on top of their wages.

Wages vary from $2 - $7 hr. Tips about $100 a shift.

So, do you consider approx $24,000 (€17,670) a year "extremely well paid"?
    When I was in America back in a by gone era the busboy/server jobs around the holidays were a hot commodity. People actually bought and sold them because whoever got the job would make a killing off tips. You're talking hundreds of dollars a night.

The Roaring Twenties?
    So I never got the whole poor service staff thing while I was over there. Granted that was in areas that would be packed on the holidays but if those jobs when at their busiest were yielding close to a thousand dollars a weekend for some and probably more for others I'm not sure they would be all that bad off in a place with regular custom.

Where did you go to get bad service? Restuarant service in the US is generally excellent.
    So here with people already guaranteed a minimum wage and tips not even accounted for as far as someone income is concerned. It makes zero sense to argue that people should be obliged to hand over extra money to certain people in certain jobs. A shelf stacker on minimum wage would be expected to tip a waitress/barber/taxi driver who earns more than him.

Without being snobby, but just on income levels, which fine dining restaurant is this shelf-stacker eating at?
    If people have it to give away then by all means give away. But if they think for a second everyone should be expected to give away their hard earned money to appear this or that then they can go to hell or fcuk off back to the states as far as I'm concerned.

So you tip, but should we have an exemption card or something for people on low salaries. Like a medical card for tipping ?

7x40 hr week = 280
    100 x 5 day week = 500

Weekly = 780
    Annual= 40560

Decent wage and only a small portion declared for tax.

But more importantly we are in Ireland discussing wages and tipping in Ireland.

Anyway, this is my last reply to Madsl as he's just a wind-up merchant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

LasTime wrote: »
    Ironic to think that if you tipped a good samaritan helping you with a flat tire, they'd probably refuse it. Or imagine if you offered a tip to someone who held a door open for you. It's no different

What's no different? That someone helping you on the street wouldn't take a tip? People are in their jobs because they need money to live. Very few people work without consideration of money. Tipping is part of a social contract. Working is part of an actual, legal and necessary contract.

Try telling the AA they're Good Samaritans for helping you when you break down and you're not going to pay your subscription. A tip recognises the person's actions not the business' actions.

Advertisement