Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

MadsL wrote: »
    Which posts of mine are 'snobby' - this one perhaps? Where I am defending nail techs being laughed at?

I was thinking more your sneering about supermacs or your assertions that the riff raff should stay out of nice restaurants for a start.

HansHolzel wrote: »
    What kind of people don't like tipping? Stingy people.

People who appreciate fairness. people who are happy to pay for a product or service but not subsidise somebody's wages on top of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

People who appreciate fairness. people who are happy to pay for a product or service but not subsidise somebody's wages on top of that

+ People who come up with tortuous rationalizations for their meanness ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I was thinking more your sneering about supermacs or your assertions that the riff raff should stay out of nice restaurants for a start.

Where did I say "the riff-raff should stay out of nice restaurants"?

We have a quote function.

Where did I say "the riff-raff should stay out of nice restaurants"?

We have a quote function.

You know exactly what you said. im not trawling through 30+ pages just to show you what you already know.

• Advertisement

You know exactly what you said. im not trawling through 30+ pages just to show you what you already know.

Trawling? We have a search function.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057059033&query=riff-raff

1 result. You.

So I didn't say it. You made it up then.

I have never once described people as like that in this thread. A complete slander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

'Put up or shut up' - that, I think, is the phrase most used in this kind of situation ;-)

Wouldn't it be fair if we all were expected to make a tip decision that didn't include 0%.

No you didnt, you merely listed the expected duties of a waiter. being friendly or giving information on the options in the menu are hardly going above and beyond

Describing the dish in detail, including the preparation method, the source of the protein (locally produced Murphy's Farm organic etc) and making an excellent recommendation of a wine to go with it. Making sure the chef can substitute an ingredient to cover an allergy. Making an excellent job of timing the meal, checking if you need a pause before dessert, suggesting a light alternative if you say you are getting full, etc etc.

These are the marks of excellent wait staff, who sadly would do well in the US, but are deemed in Ireland to be doing a job little above the skill level of McDonalds cashiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Why is there no accepted practise then, as those of us that tip are increasing service levels for those that don't? To my mind, and many others, it appears to be an excuse for stinginess.

You are? How did you work that out? Lets start tipping politicians to improve their quality.

• Advertisement

You are? How did you work that out? Lets start tipping politicians to improve their quality.

How do you mean start? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Describing the dish in detail, including the preparation method, the source of the protein (locally produced Murphy's Farm organic etc) and making an excellent recommendation of a wine to go with it. Making sure the chef can substitute an ingredient to cover an allergy. Making an excellent job of timing the meal, checking if you need a pause before dessert, suggesting a light alternative if you say you are getting full, etc etc.

These are the marks of excellent wait staff, who sadly would do well in the US, but are deemed in Ireland to be doing a job little above the skill level of McDonalds cashiers.

Waiters in the US get something like $3 an hour. They depend on tips. Irish waiters get an hourly rate.

Waiters in the US get something like $3 an hour. They depend on tips. Irish waiters get an hourly rate.

Of about $11 an hour. Which means a lower tip is reasonable, I tipped 5-10% in Ireland. Double that in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Of about $11 an hour. Which means a lower tip is reasonable, I tipped 5-10% in Ireland. Double that in the US.

Yeah I do about the same.

My tips in the US however, get me free margaritas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Horrid Henry

The Irish are just stingy feckers when it comes to tipping

No. The real issue is that US employers underpay their workers. All of this nonsense flows from that.

These are the basic duties of wait staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Cold Sore

Once someone is on a fixed wage with no prospect of a tip they can do they tend to do the minimum. The prospect of a tip is what galvanises waiting staff.

Such nonsense, basic duties are hello how are you, here's the menu, what would you like, here it is, did you enjoy it, anything else, here's the bill, thanks for coming, bye.

That's the basic duties. The minimum level you work at without getting fired, and frankly the level that you get in many Irish restaurants.

Perhaps I am being unfair in trying to describe what excellent service is if many posting here simply haven't experienced it.

If you want some tales of outstanding service on the other hand...
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/582537

Staff going out to clear a path to diners cars in freshly falen snow certainly isn't part of the basic duties.

No. The real issue is that US employers underpay their workers. All of this nonsense flows from that.

Tipping is an English custom that wasn't very popular in the US until this century.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Cold Sore

Tipping is an English custom that wasn't very popular in the US until this century.

It was very popular (in the sense of widespread) in the last century. I remember seeing films in the 1980s and people were talking about it.

• Advertisement

Cold Sore wrote: »
    It was very popular (in the sense of widespread) in the last century. I remember seeing films in the 1980s and people were talking about it.

Sorry, just woke up, on the first cup of coffee. 1990 was only yesterday for me, I meant the 20th century.

F*ck that makes me feel old.

*hangs head*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah, got that in a place last week, they did well
    Perhaps I am being unfair in trying to describe what excellent service is if many posting here simply haven't experienced it.
    Oh lord he's back to the "you're all ignorants who just go to fast food places"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Such nonsense, basic duties are hello how are you, here's the menu, what would you like, here it is, did you enjoy it, anything else, here's the bill, thanks for coming, bye.

That's the basic duties. The minimum level you work at without getting fired, and frankly the level that you get in many Irish restaurants.

If you want some tales of outstanding service on the other hand...
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/582537

Staff going out to clear a path to diners cars in freshly falen snow certainly isn't part of the basic duties.

So why do they deserve a tip?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, got that in a place last week, they did well

Did you tip them?

Oh lord he's back to the "you're all ignorants who just go to fast food places"

You can understand how some are giving that impression, at times this is like trying to describe the colour blue to a man blind since birth.

krudler wrote: »
    So why do they deserve a tip?

Read the post.

Is the concept that tipping increases service levels really that hard to grasp? Really?

Did you tip them?

I wasn't paying but I would have, because I do that in restaurants if they do well

You can understand how some are giving that impression, at times this is like trying to describe the colour blue to a man blind since birth.
    Yes, to you!
    You'll cry when you hear the number of people getting free suite upgrades... without a tip first :eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yes, to you!
    You'll cry when you hear the number of people getting free suite upgrades... without a tip first :eek: :p

I got upgraded to first class once just because I was travelling alone and there were some spare seats. No bribe, sorry, tip involved.

I wasn't paying but I would have, because I do that in restaurants if they do well

So you agree with me.

Finally.

Yes, to you!

If you think $20 is really here or there when it comes to getting an upgrade I don't know what to tell you. I don't really care about what other guests get for free, if I can get an upgrade with a $20 sandwich, I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Tell that to a food delivery driver on €3 an hour

• Advertisement

I don't really care about what other guests get for free,.

You cared enough when you were boasting about all your little "freebies" earlier and trying to tell us nobody would ever get "free" stuff without bribes

But keep not tipping, your ignorance as to how the service industry works means that I can tip $20 and getting a free upgrade from a $25 dollar room at Paris, Las Vegas to a $350 a night room on the 34th floor overlooking the Bellagio.
    MadsL wrote:
    I pity the fool in the worst room more. ;)

Advertisement