Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

krudler wrote: »
    I got upgraded to first class once just because I was travelling alone and there were some spare seats. No bribe, sorry, tip involved.

As have I. And I have also spent 90 minutes on the phone to US Airways not taking no as an answer when I suggested that they should upgrade my parents after abandoning them in London in the middle of a transatlantic trip and making them rebook, and get a taxi at their own expense to switch airport.

What's your point exactly?

bluewolf wrote: »
    You cared enough when you were boasting about all your little "freebies" earlier and trying to tell us nobody would ever get "free" stuff without bribes

Where did I say that? I pointed out what a tip can get you. Are you that desperate to points score, you are now describing all these miraculous wonderful upgrades people get for free?
    But keep not tipping, your ignorance as to how the service industry works means that I can tip $20 and getting a free upgrade from a $25 dollar room at Paris, Las Vegas to a $350 a night room on the 34th floor overlooking the Bellagio.

Yep I said that. What's the issue exactly. I got two of those rooms in that instance by tipping $20. Pretty good value.

Back to the topic, so you agree staff should be tipped for good/excellent service. My point all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

MadsL wrote: »
    Where did I say that? I pointed out what a tip can get you. Are you that desperate to points score, you are now describing all these miraculous wonderful upgrades people get for free?

I'm pointing out that you're boasting about it when it suits you, and suddenly "oh who cares" when you find out it was a waste of money all along.
    Apparently we're "ignorant" when it suits you to declaim what extras you get for tipping, and "desperate" when it turns out you're wrong and the rest of us ignorant proles get the same without tipping

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As have I. And I have also spent 90 minutes on the phone to US Airways not taking no as an answer when I suggested that they should upgrade my parents after abandoning them in London in the middle of a transatlantic trip and making them rebook, and get a taxi at their own expense to switch airport.

What's your point exactly?

What's that got to do with anything? if US airways left them stranded then it'd be just good customer care to offer them something as a goodwill gesture, that's basic customer care do it all the time at work if we mess something up, has nothing to do with tipping or bribing people for extras.

I'm pointing out that you're boasting about it when it suits you, and suddenly "oh who cares" when you find out it was a waste of money all along.

What's you evidence it is a waste of money? $10 for each room in Vegas strikes me as excellent value for $300+ upgrade.

Apparently we're "ignorant" when it suits you and "desperate" when it turns out you're wrong

Wrong?

You just agreed with me that excellent service deserves a tip.

Are you wrong too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You'd argue with your reflection in a mirror, wouldn't ya?

If you want to shift the goalposts and all, off you go, I'll leave you to it

What's that got to do with anything? if US airways left them stranded then it'd be just good customer care to offer them something as a goodwill gesture, that's basic customer care do it all the time at work if we mess something up, has nothing to do with tipping or bribing people for extras.

US airways have taken all power over upgrades from ground and CSRs. You have to email customer care who (two weeks later) offered them a $150 flight credit. And then lied about getting reimbursed for the taxi.
    Check in staff - can't help, you have to email customer care.
    CSR level one - can't help, you have to email customer care.
    CSR level two - can't help, you have to email customer care
    CSR Manager level one - can't help, you have to email customer care. Finally persuaded her to talk to the CSR head honcho who approved the upgrade.

You'd argue with your reflection in a mirror, wouldn't ya?

If you want to shift the goalposts and all, off you go, I'll leave you to it

The flounce? From a politics mod? tut tut. Disappointing.

Could it be that you just can't bring yourself to admit my view that Irish restaurant staff should be tipped for good services is actually the same as yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

US airways have taken all power over upgrades from ground and CSRs. You have to email customer care who (two weeks later) offered them a $150 flight credit. And then lied about getting reimbursed for the taxi.
    CSR Manager level one - can't help, you have to email customer care. Finally persuaded her to talk to the CSR head honcho who approved the upgrade.

Right, so nothing to do with anything?

But again what's that got to do with getting a free upgrade or tipping? Nothing at all. That's a reaction to a complaint, completely different issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My finger keeps hovering over the 'Unfollow' button, but I...I....just....can't.....

But again what's that got to do with getting a free upgrade or tipping? Nothing at all. That's a reaction to a complaint, completely different issue.

It's a relevant as you getting a 'free' airline upgrade. The airline did it for their convenience. Tipping for an hotel upgrade is different, the hotel don't have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    My finger keeps hovering over the 'Unfollow' button, but I...I....just....can't.....

Do it!

You can do it!

on a note- Never tipped anyone in my life. I don't expect to get tipped when I'm providing a service.

It seems tipping is an American custom? Not something I'm familiar with.

It's a relevant as you getting a 'free' airline upgrade. The airline did it for their convenience. Tipping for an hotel upgrade is different, the hotel don't have to do it.

The airline didn't have to upgrade me at all, I was booked into a regular seat and it wasn't oversold they just said since they had spare seats in the first class part I could have one since I was by myself, the girl was just being sound about it, I didn't ask for it.

so yeah it was a free upgrade, I didn't pay anything extra for it.

You're saying one minute paying extra for stuff gets you nice things, then when people are giving examples of getting free things for no extra cost you're dismissing it as things that companies only do for their convenience, which is it?

Nemeses wrote: »
    Do it!

You can do it!

on a note- Never tipped anyone in my life. I don't expect to get tipped when I'm providing a service.

It seems tipping is an American custom? Not something I'm familiar with.

FFS. It's an English custom, and present in Ireland for decades if not centuries.

The airline didn't have to upgrade me at all, I was booked into a regular seat and it wasn't oversold they just said since they had spare seats in the first class part I could have one since I was by myself, the girl was just being sound about it, I didn't ask for it.

She fancied you.

Still irrelevant. I never said that people don't get free upgrades on occasion, I just described a method by which you can 'encourage' them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

FFS. It's an English custom, and present in Ireland for decades if not centuries.

Right, you pointed out, rather pointlessly, several times that it started in England. It is now very much seen as an American custom.

Right, you pointed out, rather pointlessly, several times that it started in England. It is now very much seen as an American custom.

I'm pointing out that all this bull about "I never tip, we don't want this American sh.te here" is completely bunk. Ireland has had a tipping culture in restaurants for generations. Funny how people don't want to admit that.

As an Englishman myself, Where I am from.. No, Its not customary.

Maybe other part of the UK or the "Upper class", and maybe centuries ago...

Why in Bold? I can see cleary.

As an Englishman myself, From where I am from.. No, Its not customary.

Huh? Born and raised in the UK myself, tipping in restaurants was very much done.
    Maybe other part of the UK or the "Upper class", and maybe centuries ago...
    :confused:

Why in Bold?
    It wasn't.
    I can see cleary.
    Has the rain gone?

• Advertisement

Huh? Born and raised in the UK myself, tipping in restaurants was very much done.

Likewise - Could go on about this on another thread.

You quoted me and slapped the last line in bold. Any reason for this?

Also, I'll rephrase, Tipping seems to be done on a global scale but not as much as the US.

That better?

Also What rain? Are you stalking me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I'm pointing out that all this bull about "I never tip, we don't want this American sh.te here" is completely bunk. Ireland has had a tipping culture in restaurants for generations. Funny how people don't want to admit that.

It actually isnt, people have pointed out to you several times that the reasons tipping is practically compulsory in America dont exist here.
    Ireland has not had a tipping culture for generations and certainly not on the scale we see in America where every halfwit who does his job functionally feels entitled to a percentage of what you already paid. Perhaps some individual businesses do but it is far, far from the norm.

Likewise - Could go on about this on another thread.

You quoted me and slapped the last line in bold. Any reason for this?

It was the part of your post that I was replying to, sorry. Nothing more meant by it.
    Also, I'll rephrase, Tipping seems to be done on a global scale but not as much as the US.

That better?
    More accurate. I feel that many misguided Mr Pinks around here don't tip in protest against the importation of American customs, when the reverse is true.
    Also What rain? Are you stalking me?

Song reference. I can see clearly now the rain has gone.

I was going to go with a Fanny the Wonderdog reference or ask are you japanese, but felt that was a grammar nazi thing to point out your typo. ;)

It actually isnt, people have pointed out to you several times that the reasons tipping is practically compulsory in America dont exist here.
    Ireland has not had a tipping culture for generations and certainly not on the scale we see in America where every halfwit who does his job functionally feels entitled to a percentage of what you already paid. Perhaps some individual businesses do but it is far, far from the norm.

Nonsense.

Plenty of people in this thread have described tipping in Irish restaurants. The OP described his discomfort at only tipping 1.50. If there were no tipping culture in Ireland, why would he feel uncomfortable about it?

There are plenty of people in utter denial that Ireland has a tipping culture, I'll give you that.

And servers are halfwits? And I'm the one getting accused of being snobby :eek:

Ireland has not had a tipping culture for generations

This will be a surprise to you then...

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g186591-s606/Ireland:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

It was the part of your post that I was replying to, sorry. Nothing more meant by it.

Ah just quote what I'm saying then - I don't like re-reading what I've written!
    More accurate. I feel that many misguided Mr Pinks around here don't tip in protest against the importation of American customs, when the reverse is true.

You've gotta link me to a reference of this Mr. Pinks - The only Mr Pink I know and deserves that title is this guy -
    I was going to go with a Fanny the Wonderdog reference or ask are you japanese, but felt that was a grammar nazi thing to point out your typo. ;)

Just because you use autocorrect and I don't doesn't make you a better person.. ;)

Ah just quote what I'm saying then - I don't like re-reading what I've written!

Umm. I did. :confused:
    You've gotta link me to a reference of this Mr. Pinks - The only Mr Pink I know and deserves that title is this guy -
    Scroll back in the thread or google Mr Pink - tipping.
    Just because you use autocorrect and I don't doesn't make you a better person.. ;)

Would you like some spelling tips...ba dum tish. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Exact article you quote says no to tipping taxis but you spent about 4 hours the other night telling us we shouldn't be getting a taxis if not tipping.

Amazing how you pick and choose what to use for your backup.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Exact article you quote says no to tipping taxis but you spent about 4 hours the other night telling us we shouldn't be getting a taxis if not tipping.

Amazing how you pick and choose what to use for your backup.

Huh?
    Tip 5% to10% of the fare if the driver has been particularly helpful informative and courteous.

What I said was that taking a taxi with the premeditated intention of not tipping by literally not having the tip in your pocket was wrong.

Perhaps you shouldn't pick and choose the things I said in your head rather than the things I actually said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't resist....

'There is not a strong tipping culture in Ireland but many locals and visitors tend to tip for certain services...'

According to your linked item.

Not a strong tipping culture....

While the same source states it is expected in the United States.

Nothing from you would surprise us at this stage but carry on if it amuses you.

Advertisement