Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What about the guy filling in a pothole? Do you personally go out to reward them yourself?

Would I fling a fiver out the window as I pass the pothole?

Anyway, I thought local councillors accepted these tips to get this type of thing done? ;)

Yeah all us junk food eating peasants will be left standing at the bar in our economy vegas hotel because we didnt tip the maitre'd.

Because thats exactly how things are in Ireland. :rolleyes:

So you don't think tipping the maitre'd when the restaurant is busy and you don't have a reservation will get you to a table quicker? How quaint ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

bluewolf wrote: »
    I bet you get all the tips with that charm

I hate most customers. ****.

But its a bit like a phone call, you just blank and go into phone voice mode and move them on as fast as possible.

You kinda be nice just for the sake of it. Some customers you can joke with and stuff like that but when the 40 year old self entitled women comes in you just switch to robot mode. You are still doing your job with the list of questions, but not engaging with her as a person but more as an annoyance to your day, like a runny poo. It is just passing through.

Different areas get different customers, shopping centers are full of **** where they expect to be treated like a king. Towns get more laid back jokey customers who want to talk to you.

I dealt with customers for years in college so I know how to work them.

MadsL wrote: »
    So you don't think tipping the maitre'd when the restaurant is busy and you don't have a reservation will get you to a table quicker? How quaint ;)

Man, you are dealing with the awkward customers. Some people dont understand until they can walk through the staff only door.

Lets just smile and give them the number for head office and say there is nothing we can do and they will go away and be someone elses problem so we can sit down to read the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lkionm wrote: »
    I dealt with customers for years in college so I know how to work them.

I worked in fast food through college, so me too :)

legally less than min wage, still didn't sit around demanding free money for it though!

• Advertisement

Yeah all us junk food eating peasants

Will we pretend Capt. America's is fine dining? Nobody batted an eyelid at the tip I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Tipping is extremely irritating. It's just like showing the price without tax.

Why can't they just add 15% to the price of everything and include the tax (like restaurants do in Ireland and I'm pretty sure most other places). I'd prefer to know exactly what I'm paying from the start rather than start f*cking around with calculators and the like.

For example, I go for wings at lunch on a Wednesday here in Vancouver. It's $3 dollars per portion. In Ireland, that would be $3 and thats that, but over here they add tax and then you have to tip as well.

So before buying anything, I can literally only see $3 as the advertised price. Then tax has to be added (I know that tax is normally 12% over here, but it could be different for food :confused:) and then add a 15% tip on top of that. Just advertise it as $3.80 or whatever it is and stop being so f*cking awkward!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I prefer to know that the server gets rewarded. If I get exceptional service I also ask for the manager and praise the server directly to him/her.

Everyone else is just expected to be good at their job. You want extra money for not being sh1t. Can't you see how this would annoy other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

legally less than min wage, still didn't sit around demanding free money for it though!

Worked in customer service jobs for many years myself. Supermarkets cleaning toilets, packing bags and wheeling trollies to cars, shops helping people with their purchases and often carried big items to cars,.

Never got much in the way of tips nor did I expect it even though I like restaurant staff was on bare minimum wage (2.50/h when I started so not sure if that was MW), working long and odd hours providing a service to customers.

Worked in customer service jobs for many years myself. Supermarkets cleaning toilets, packing bags and wheeling trollies to cars, shops helping people with their purchases and often carried big items to cars,.

Never got much in the way of tips nor did I expect it even though I like restaurant staff was on bare minimum wage (2.50/h when I started so not sure if that was MW), working long and odd hours providing a service to customers.

That's a lot of resentment you have been carrying. Why don't you put it down and have a rest from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

LasTime wrote: »
    What'd Steve Buscemi got to do with tipping?

Look up Reservoir Dogs........

That's a lot of resentment you have been carrying. Why don't you put it down and have a rest from it.

I dont carry any resentment. I was paid to do a job, I did it to a high standard and that was how it went wherever I have worked. I never found myself in a job where I expected customers to pay me bonuses on top of my pay because I wasn't useless at my job.

No I didnt demand money off them, if they gave me money grand whatever. Some customers wold bring chocolate at christmas. I just knew how to work them and keep them happy and pretending to be interested in them, That ****e. It actually got me a job out of it in the end from one of the nice customers, who I was actually nice to.

I worked in costa coffee for a few years and we used to get a good bit of tips but last few years not much and there was too many of us working to bother counting tips and dividing them out. I got paid well enough there for college work and had enough for beer and petrol but I didnt care much about tips because we got crap tips.

I dont carry any resentment. I was paid to do a job, I did it to a high standard everywhere I have worked and that was how it went wherever I have worked. I never found myself in a job where I expected customers to pay me bonuses on top of my pay because I wasn't useless at my job.

A tip is the portion of a server's wages paid by the customer. It's not a bonus. You fundamentally misunderstand what a tip is meant to be. In France there were restaurants where the waiters paid the maitre'd to work there such was the level of tipping.

Tipping originated in England when visting other people houses as a means of recognising the extra work done by the house staff in accommodating your visit.

Translating this practice into the restaurant world means when staff go further than their basic duties, even if that is just a sunny disposition, they get rewarded by the customer for the extra work to the customers benefit.

The problem is in Ireland there should be either universal tipping as in the US or no tipping at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

As well as being kinder, tipping (and being generally polite) is safer.

The tight wads among you would be most unpleasantly surprised if they knew what can be done with meals and drinks before they get served.

A tip is the portion of a server's wages paid by the customer. It's not a bonus. You fundamentally misunderstand what a tip is meant to be. In France there were restaurants where the waiters paid the maitre'd to work there such was the level of tipping.

Tipping originated in England when visting other people houses as a means of recognising the extra work done by the house staff in accommodating your visit.

Translating this practice into the restaurant world means when staff go further than their basic duties, even if that is just a sunny disposition, they get rewarded by the customer for the extra work to the customers benefit.

The problem is in Ireland there should be either universal tipping as in the US or no tipping at all.

By and large is this not already the case

HansHolzel wrote: »

The tight wads among you would be most unpleasantly surprised if they knew what can be done with meals and drinks before they get served.

Oh I see, so tipping is a tax you pay so that some scumbag doesnt spit in your food. Why dont they just put that on the bill. Phlegm retention - 15%

I understand what a tip is and in Ireland its not any portion of a persons wage. Its cash bonuses given on top of an agreed fee for a service.

But that in bold is the problem right there. Thinking a sunny disposition in a customer service job constitutes extra work or that doing a good job is going above and beyond. Its not, its just called doing your job.

I'd tip someone for doing extra work, the kid in the TV shop who gives me a hand out with a Tv on his way home. Someone collecting stock for me on their day off as they are driving by the warehouse. Stuff that is actually going above and beyond what it says in their job description.

There is nothing that a server generally does that isnt already part of their job description. So why on earth should it be expected to tip them for extra work as a default ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'll tip my local Indian. I make them work for it though. I always leave requests in the additional comments box ordering online demanding that they include an artistic rendering of Joseph Stalin, or a haiku about cats.

They've always delivered on requests, bar my one for the delivery driver to tap dance up the driveway.

Oh I see, so tipping is a tax you pay so that some scumbag doesnt spit in your food. Why dont they just put that on the bill. Phlegm retention - 15%

Spitting? Jaysus you're innocent.

• Advertisement

Spitting? Jaysus you're innocent.

well, regardless of the details, you're saying it's essentially a scumbag tax to stop scumbags acting like scumbags. Strangely, Im even less inclined to tip now.

Strangely, Im even less inclined to tip now.

No, hearing that is not too strange at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Is a portion of your wage service satisfaction dependant? No? Then hush.

Their wage is what their employer gives them, tips are donations that count as extra income.
    What about when I taught people? Or the job I got where customers will come to the company looks for electronics do do some sort of job for them and I will be part of the team designing, building and testing the circuits? The customer will be expecting service satisfaction and I have and will in the future supply that as part of my job instead of expecting extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I prefer to know that the server gets rewarded. If I get exceptional service I also ask for the manager and praise the server directly to him/her.

Do you tip the chef too MadsL if you get served great food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:D But they won't know what tip I leave until after I 've eaten it.

Anyway, most places I go now have a tip bowl at the cash area and they rarely seem to notice what individuals leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Never bothered with tipping. I'd leave the odd few Euro if its left over but wouldn't go out of my way. Not my fault some employers don't pay the waiters properly and expect customers to make up part of their wages.

:D But they won't know what tip I leave until after I 've eaten it.

A failure to tip generally forms the end part of a behaviour pattern that experienced staff can normally recognize.

Another word of warning may make this point a bit clearer, if such elaboration is necessary: failure to even look at the person who is serving you is only asking for trouble.

Attitudes on here are the reason Irish restaurants end up with compulsory service charges or pad the menu prices.

But keep not tipping, your ignorance as to how the service industry works means that I can tip $20 and getting a free upgrade from a $25 dollar room at Paris, Las Vegas to a $350 a night room on the 34th floor overlooking the Bellagio.

Or not have to wait at the bar or queue for a table with my elderly parents as I have the sense to tip the hostess or maitre'd when the restaurant is packed.

Or that I get a better table and service when I return to the restaurant.

I expect that 1.50 tip gets you remembered, and waiting at the bar for a table next time you are in.
    I think we either move in different circles or different countries. I eat out regularly and in very decent restaurants. In every case I have a table booked and don't have to tip anybody to avoid a queue. My table is usually ready when I arrive. If I attempted to tip a "hostess" (what a condescending title to give somebody) before any service, I can assure you anywhere I go she would be quite confused and probably refuse it.
    If, and I stress if, the restaurant has good and bad tables I'll ask politely when booking that we are not seated at the bad table (by a door for example) and it has never been a problem.
    I truly believe you are deluded to think waiting staff etc remember what every person tips when they come in again another night.
    I found tipping in the US to be extremely over the top and that Americans are very anal about it. But then again they hardly pay their staff.

Hotels don't upgrade rooms because a guest arrives at reception and slips them a bribe. That is a deplorable way to do business and an insult to other customers.

A failure to tip generally forms the end part of a behaviour pattern that experienced staff can normally recognize.

Another word of warning may make this point a bit clearer, if such elaboration is necessary: failure to even look at the person who is serving you is only asking for trouble.

You are entitled to your belief but I cannot accept that anybody knows how much I'll tip in advance - even I don't know that.

As for looking at the staff member, of course I do that. I'll always engage them in chat and craic as well. You linking pure bad manners to the tipping issue is apples and oranges

That's me done.

• Advertisement

You linking pure bad manners to the tipping issue is apples and oranges

That's me done.

Quite

Advertisement