Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

osarusan wrote: »
    You can't say that 'you'd expect to give the tenner' - which means that tipping is the default position (you should assume that you will be tipping), and then say that tipping shouldn't be automatic.

Tipping because service was above average is very different from not tipping because service was below average.

If you only have €9 how can you give the tenner?

That was my point.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If I get into a taxi and the fare is 9 euro and give ten I expect change. By your logic if the service is bad should I only pay 8 euro? If I try that more than likely I would be driven to the nearest Garda station for refusal to pay

You are also free to tip. You can also dispute the fare if you feel he went the long way, so yes you could give €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

MadsL wrote: »
    Will I tip the cleaners too?

I tip the FoH, how they deal with the Kitchen and bar backs is up to them. Even though I have been in the kitchen in that scenario.

Why not tip the cleaner? Just wondering why you're so concerned about the plight of a select few in the service industry, and not of others?

"Holds the door for you"???!! You may travel by chauffeur driven limousine, MadsL, but it seems the rest of us do not!

I've regularly had an Irish taxi driver, hop out, load bags into the boot and hold the door for my wife.

Then again we regularly used the same company, and tipped well.

Getting the point yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

errr...where?

Perhaps you should stop eating at Denny's. ;)
    I covered 7 cities in a month. there was so little genuine hospitality or helpfulness. Any of the "good" service I received was forced and purely designed to increase tips, it was so transparent. I did the $20 room upgrade tip in Vegas but don't count that as good service, thats good old fashioned bribery.
    I had two incidents of great service which was genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If you only have €9 how can you give the tenner?

That was my point.

no, your point was that you shouldn't get into a taxi with less than a tenner for a 9E taxi ride, because you should 'expect to give the tenner.'

That indicates that you see tipping as the default position.

Why not tip the cleaner? Just wondering why you're so concerned about the plight of a select few in the service industry, and not of others?

Plight? I'm rewarded good service. I trust that the restaurant pays the cleaners well in order to receive a good service too.

I'm not making charity or pity donations if that is what you are implying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Like has been said a few hundred times above, a tip is a bonus and shouldn't, IMO, be expected.

I worked in a bar for about 5 years, starting as a lounge boy and then about 3 years behind the bar. If I got a tip, great, if not, fúck it, I was paid a wage to serve drinks, I didn't expect extra for doing what I was already paid to do

osarusan wrote: »
    no, your point was that you shouldn't get into a taxi with less than a tenner for a 9E taxi ride, because you should 'expect to give the tenner.'

That indicates that you see tipping as the default position.

I see the ability to reward good service as basic manners. I would be very apologetic if I had only €9 for a €9 ride and the driver was polite, pleasant and helpful.

Getting into a taxi with only the fare in your pocket is rude. You are not even giving the chap a chance to earn a tip as you don't have one to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

He's either trolling or a recent trip to vegas has given him delusions of grandeur. Wouldnt get a taxi if you cant afford a tip, taxi drivers holding open the door for you, tipping the maitre'd who sent a waiter out with an umbrella to shepard you in, upgrading to a 350 euro a night hotel room for free after tipping the bell boy 20 dollars, asking for the manager to tell him the service is good, going to the window to congratulate the chef.......

I cant take much more tbh. Bottom line tipping in Ireland is not obligatory and whether you tip or not it doesn't make you a bad person nor does it make you a big shot.

I'm out.

• Advertisement

Like has been said a few hundred times above, a tip is a bonus and shouldn't, IMO, be expected.

I worked in a bar for about 5 years, starting as a lounge boy and then about 3 years behind the bar. If I got a tip, great, if not, fúck it, I was paid a wage to serve drinks, I didn't expect extra for doing what I was already paid to do

I expect you had friends who were waiters and earned tips. Different levels of service. Barmen in Ireland in hotels mixing cocktails make tips, lads pulling pints generally do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I've regularly had an Irish taxi driver, hop out, load bags into the boot and hold the door for my wife.

Getting the point yet?

Yea you have too much money

If i have to tip a waiter for good service the company should let him go, there are thousands on the dole that would happily do the job well for just the wage.

I was in a 5 star hotel at the weekend and ordered a dessert- was told to expect 15 minute waiting time I said grand at least the waiter told me- 45 minutes and 3 apologises later ( 2 from manager and 1 from waiter) I get my dessert and the manager says I hope it was worth the wait. Now when I got the bill I was charged full price. The food was really nice but service crap- how much of a tip would you have given or how much of the full bill would you have paid? Remember this was a 5 star hotel.

Plight? I'm rewarded good service. I trust that the restaurant pays the cleaners well in order to receive a good service too.

I'm not making charity or pity donations if that is what you are implying...

No, just bribery money to get what you want...

Why do you not reward a good meal though and send a few quid into the kitchen? You've said yourself you've worked in places where the kitchen staff get 3% of the tips and I'm telling you (as tiny as that amount even is) that it's not the norm in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They sell concrete?

Are a waiters sales not also concrete (upselling wine, bottled water etc?) upping the tab, ups the tip.

Yep, and their upselling benefits the company; therefore the company should pay them for that. If a salesman gets commission then guess who pays that commission? Yep, the company again. Tipping on the other hand, is payed by the customer.

Quite a large difference, therefore your analogy don't make sense.

Getting the point yet?

I could tip a taxi driver a fiver today... What do you think the odds are that I'll get him again, and that he'll even remember me giving him a tip?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Horrid Henry

You know most places will break a fifty if you ask. I'd be very insulted if you left 1.50 on a hundred quid tab, in fact I may ask you if something was wrong with the service.

I would go for someone who asked me that.

I'd see it as cheeky to be honest.

I'm actually a generous tipper but equally I don't think that anyone's obliged to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I expect you had friends who were waiters and earned tips. Different levels of service. Barmen in Ireland in hotels mixing cocktails make tips, lads pulling pints generally do not.

I did but they didn't feel an entitlement to a tip. If they got it, same as me, happy days.

I see the ability to reward good service as basic manners. I would be very apologetic if I had only €9 for a €9 ride and the driver was polite, pleasant and helpful.

Getting into a taxi with only the fare in your pocket is rude. You are not even giving the chap a chance to earn a tip as you don't have one to give.

So paying someone the price they charge for their service is now rude????

It's no wonder this country is so f@&k.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not a euro for your taxi driver, even if he hops out and holds the door for you.

How nice.

I've been getting cabs in and out of town for nights out since I was 18, I'm 32 now, not once, ever has an Irish cab driver opened my door for me, nor would I expect them to.

krudler wrote: »
    I've been getting cabs in and out of town for nights out since I was 18, I'm 32 now, not once, ever has an Irish cab driver opened my door for me, nor would I expect them to.

I'd be embarrassed to f*ck if a taxi driver tried to open the door for me, I'm 26 years old for f*ck's sake. I'm not even comfortable with people dropping pints down to my table. (Something which caused a waitress to have a sh*t-fit with me in Las Vegas.)

It's different if the person is frail or elderly and your man jumps out to fire the bags in the boot. That's grand like, but they (and us all) should be doing that out of basic manners and not in the hope we should be paid for it.

• Advertisement

He's either trolling
    Feel free to report my posts...
    or a recent trip to vegas has given him delusions of grandeur.
    Delusions? It was a fantastic suite. Well worth the $25 a night plus $20 tip.
    Wouldnt get a taxi if you cant afford a tip
    Should I be rude instead?
    , taxi drivers holding open the door for you,
    Yes. You find that hard to believe on a pre-booked trip to the airport with a company we used regularly over four years.
    tipping the maitre'd who sent a waiter out with an umbrella to shepard you in,
    It was a hotel in that case, but yes I gave the bell hop a tip, just as I tipped to have my bags brought up.
    upgrading to a 350 euro a night hotel room for free after tipping the bell boy 20 dollars,
    Have you stayed in a hotel? The bell boy doesn't do that. The front desk do.
    If you think I am bulsh.tting - knock yourself out. http://thetwentydollartrick.com/
    http://www.vegasunzipped.com/the-incredible-las-vegas-20-sandwich-trick/
    asking for the manager to tell him the service is good,
    Why would the manager be disinterested? As a former GM I would have been delighted to have had this conversation. It also gets you remembered for your next visit.
    going to the window to congratulate the chef.......
    because people don't like to know they are doing a good job :confused:
    I cant take much more tbh. Bottom line tipping in Ireland is not obligatory and whether you tip or not it doesn't make you a bad person nor does it make you a big shot.

Well tipping can make life better for you in a number of ways that you listed above. Feel free to hurrrumph and pay the scabby minimum. All the more treats for those of us that treat service staff with respect and politeness backed up with a solid gesture of appreciation.

Enjoy your waits in line, bad tables, poor rooms, and middling service. Think of the money you save ;)
    I'm out.

Not on the town clearly...

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'd be embarrassed to f*ck if a taxi driver tried to open the door for me, I'm 26 years old for f*ck's sake.

I said my wife. Do you not hold the car door for mother/GF?
    I'm not even comfortable with people dropping pints down to my table. (Something which caused a waitress to have a sh*t-fit with me in Las Vegas.)
    I'm not suprised. I take it she didn't you how to do your job. Some States are quite strict about the manner alcohol is served.
    It's different if the person is frail or elderly and your man jumps out to fire the bags in the boot.
    Most (all?) taxi drivers that have dropped me at Dublin Airport have helped with bags. I certainly tip for that.
    That's grand like, but they (and us all) should be doing that out of basic manners and not in the hope we should be paid for it.

€4-5 is a nice thank you. Why would you not be nice...?

You think basically that you have to pay for good service or to skip the queue, but what you don't realise that the rest if us get it all for free.

But please continue to throw your money around if it makes you feel good about yourself.

I'm not suprised. I take it she didn't you how to do your job. Some States are quite strict about the manner alcohol is served.

Most (all?) taxi drivers that have dropped me at Dublin Airport have helped with bags. I certainly tip for that.

Maybe people can't afford tips?

No comparison at all. It's his overtime rate usually if you call him and need him immediately. Serving is the intrinsic nature of a service job i.e. the thing they get paid a wage for.

Hmmm. I've paid call out fees and minimums even outside of an emergency. Why should a plumber clock up €50 before he's done anything, it's his job.
    When I did door-work in Ireland I worked in a high-price cocktail bar. The main cocktail barman there was a Spanish guy called Javier who had won international competitions etc. The company paid him €17 an hour to make cocktails, a huge wage for any barman in Cork.

Yeah, I'd say you'd see hell freeze over before a Corkman would tip. ;)
    In other words, the company recognised his skill and talent and rewarded him with a suitable wage for his abilities. This is the way it should be, the company bearing the cost for their staff and not the customer.
    Compensated him for the lack of tip from the Cork Bhoys you mean. He'd make a f*ckton more than €17 an hour in any other European city with International awards.
    Also I think Irish barstaff in general are actually brilliant.
    I agree.
    They have f*ck all product knowledge (because Ireland doesn't have the same range as the US or well, anywhere unfortunately)
    Thank f*ck that is changing.
    but they're very fast, can do multiple serves and are generally on the ball. If you think Irish barstaff are sh*t you'd probably lose your life if you drank in London.
    Trust me, I've worked in Irish bars outside of Ireland, I know. But I've met some right c8nts too :)

Maybe people can't afford tips?

Don't take a serviced option then. Get the bus.

You think basically that you have to pay for good service or to skip the queue, but what you don't realise that the rest if us get it all for free.

But please continue to throw your money around if it makes you feel good about yourself.

I feel good when I get a $350 a night room for $45, yeah.

I feel even better when I hear people actually pay $350 for that room.

Tell me again how you get that for free and explain how that is 'throwing my money around'?

I feel fantastic when I get a airline upgrade too...tell me how that is 'throwing my money around'?

Enjoy your waits in line, bad tables, poor rooms, and middling service. Think of the money you save ;)

MadsL, you either eat out a lot or you go to the same place every time.

I like to eat out myself quite regularly (and always tip btw), but we like to try different places each time, so by the time we come round to going back to the same place, I really don't think they'll even remember us or how much of a tip we left last time.

Maybe we're quite unassuming people though, and aren't throwing money at staff* in the hopes that they'll fawn all over us and treat us like celebrities...

(*only staff who have the power to make you feel special though, it seems. The cleaner and kitchen porters don't have that power, unfortunately for them)

My girlfriend would be mortified if a taxi driver twenty years older than her got out and held the door open for her. I would be as well. When I was a bouncer I used to open the door for people coming in, I'd always let my old doll in first if we were heading into a restaurant as well. But that's just expected social behaviour like, not something worth tipping over.

I went to the bar and called six bottles. Gave the barman six bucks plus whatever the price was. Returned with bottles. Then I have to listen to some whingebag moaning while I'm trying to have a drink. Calling a pint at the bar isn't an alien concept in the USA.

I wouldn't expect a man who's older than me to help me lift bags, I'm a young man therefore I'll do that sh*t myself. If he helped a woman or an elderly person then that's just basic manners and not automatically deserving of a tip. When I was working in the service industry I wouldn't expect someone to tip me for giving them directions on the street or helping a young mother with a buggy up the stairs. It's just me not being a c*nt.

A cornetto would be nice as well. We're not discussing niceness, we're discussing why there should be a social compulsion to tip. Also niceness doesn't have to be automatically rewarded with a monetary payment; that cheapens and commodifies niceness and basic manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd be embarrassed to f*ck if a taxi driver tried to open the door for me, I'm 26 years old for f*ck's sake. I'm not even comfortable with people dropping pints down to my table. (Something which caused a waitress to have a sh*t-fit with me in Las Vegas.)

It's different if the person is frail or elderly and your man jumps out to fire the bags in the boot. That's grand like, but they (and us all) should be doing that out of basic manners and not in the hope we should be paid for it.

Same, sitting there waiting for a guy to get out, walk around, open the door and let you out? no thanks, here's the fare and cheers.

Advertisement