Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Think I'll set up a tip jar in the computer room I teach in. I'll go to those who tip me first and if anyone doesn't tip me I'll be an asshole to them. Tip me enough and they'll get the solution for the assignment.

I had to go out of the room with someone to show them where to get print credit and I didnt even get a tip for it, what an asshole. They shouldnt be asking questions if they cant afford to pay for it, it's just rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MadsL wrote: »
    Don't take a serviced option then. Get the bus.

you think the buses in medium sized Irish towns still run at 11-12pm on a Saturday night? what mecca of mass transit do you think we live in?

Think I'll set up a tip jar in the computer room I teach in. I'll go to those who tip me first and if anyone doesn't tip me I'll be an asshole to them. Tip me enough and they'll get the solution for the assignment.

I had to go out of the room with someone to show them where to get print credit and I didnt even get a tip for it, what an asshole. They shouldnt be asking questions if they cant afford to pay for it, it's just rude.

I'm gonna tip the guy in Burger King next time I get 2 packets of ketchup instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

FTA69 wrote: »
    My girlfriend would be mortified if a taxi driver twenty years older than her got out and held the door open for her. I would be as well. When I was a bouncer I used to open the door for people coming in, I'd always let my old doll in first if we were heading into a restaurant as well. But that's just expected social behaviour like, not something worth tipping over.

So you can be polite but the taxi driver can't :confused: And mortified??
    I went to the bar and called six bottles. Gave the barman six bucks plus whatever the price was. Returned with bottles. Then I have to listen to some whingebag moaning while I'm trying to have a drink. Calling a pint at the bar isn't an alien concept in the USA.
    Is the concept of sections alien in Ireland. You just cost her a $6 tip if the waitresses do not share tips with the barstaff who are tending the bar, and not the service station.

You want the bartender to serve you, sit at the bar. Sit at a table. Waitress service.

That's why you got b*tched at.
    I wouldn't expect a man who's older than me to help me lift bags, I'm a young man therefore I'll do that sh*t myself. If he helped a woman or an elderly person then that's just basic manners and not automatically deserving of a tip. When I was working in the service industry I wouldn't expect someone to tip me for giving them directions on the street or helping a young mother with a buggy up the stairs. It's just me not being a c*nt.
    Me not be a c*nt is tipping someone who helps me. Why do you have a problem with that? It's my money.
    A cornetto would be nice as well. We're not discussing niceness, we're discussing why there should be a social compulsion to tip. Also niceness doesn't have to be automatically rewarded with a monetary payment; that cheapens and commodifies niceness and basic manners.
    Did you not read where I expressed the same sentiment earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Don't take a serviced option then. Get the bus.

Ah right - I'll try this next time - I'll say to the taxi man I only have 9 euro which will probably cover the fare, but I'll get the bus instead, because I can then tip the bus driver - I can guarantee you he will say hop in 9 is grand.
    I feel good when I get a $350 a night room for $45, yeah.

I feel even better when I hear people actually pay $350 for that room.

Tell me again how you get that for free and explain how that is 'throwing my money around'?

I feel fantastic when I get a airline upgrade too...tell me how that is 'throwing my money around'?

Because that is not tipping, that in bribing (you should look up the definition of that)

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    you think the buses in medium sized Irish towns still run at 11-12pm on a Saturday night? what mecca of mass transit do you think we live in?

Taxis are public transport now. Who knew.

Taxis are public transport now. Who knew.

What on earth are you talking about? if buses aren't running I get a cab. clear enough?

MadsL, you either eat out a lot or you go to the same place every time.

We eat out a lot. Business travel and also socially.
    I like to eat out myself quite regularly (and always tip btw), but we like to try different places each time, so by the time we come round to going back to the same place, I really don't think they'll even remember us or how much of a tip we left last time.
    You would be suprised how many places do in fact remember unpleasant/charming customers.
    Maybe we're quite unassuming people though, and aren't throwing money at staff* in the hopes that they'll fawn all over us and treat us like celebrities...
    Where did I say that. I don't tip for a attention, I tip because I want something.
    (*only staff who have the power to make you feel special though, it seems. The cleaner and kitchen porters don't have that power, unfortunately for them)
    Why would I tip them if they couldn't do anything to make my present or future experience better?

What on earth are you talking about? if buses aren't running I get a cab. clear enough?

Then bring enough to cover a tip. Not too difficult the point I'm making is it?

When did I ever say I didn't? you're the one who implied that not me. I said how much cabs cost where I live to get dropped into town, it's usually the same price depending on who we ring, sometimes I round up the price to a tenner other times I dont. simples.

• Advertisement

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0303-MAR_20DOLLARS

No one wants to spend a twenty. It's a fair amount of money, for one thing. And it won't get you much, for another. Not in the way of merchandise, anyway. No, you have to give the twenty. Pass it, release it. This is about as much Zen as I can muster: Stuff your pockets full of twenties and doors will open by themselves.

I started right away. At the airport parking lot in Indianapolis, they offered a car-interior cleaning service for thirty-five dollars. As I was waiting for the shuttle, I started bitching to one of the drivers. "I'd rather pay someone twenty bucks straight cash to get in there and spruce it up for me," I said. The driver stood up on his toes. I asked if he was interested. He'd take twenty now, he said, then talk to the guys in the shop, and they'd put my car in line for detailing so long as I'd slip them another twenty when I got back. So I passed the note and shook hands. Detailing normally costs $120. ****in' A. I was making money at this point.

When the gate agent wouldn't help me out with my request for the bulkhead seat on my little commuter plane, I set a twenty on the counter. She iced me. An airport is apparently no longer the best place to use a twenty, not since they started x-raying Chuck Taylors. "What's the issue?" she said. I wanted legroom, I told her. She shrugged and shifted me to an exit row. I told her I wanted the front seat, pushed the twenty forward, and she started to look pissed. "I don't want your money," she said. "But I want the seat," I said. "The front one." She said it was assigned and all I could do was ask to trade.

On the plane, I approached the woman in seat 1A and held out a twenty. She asked if I was serious. I said yes. She took it and ran to 9B like her pants were on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I don't tip in Ireland. Waiters have minimum wages. Most places have a surcharge for delivery services. I paid for the taxi trip in the fair.
    I don't get this BS about paying certain people extra for doing their job.

It is clear from reading your posts, you don't know the difference between tipping and bribing.

When did I ever say I didn't? you're the one who implied that not me. I said how much cabs cost where I live to get dropped into town, it's usually the same price depending on who we ring, sometimes I round up the price to a tenner other times I dont. simples.

The discussion was around if you should get in a taxi with only €9 - the fare. A premeditated no tip scenario.

Nope, never will and you know what it won't make a difference.
    You see if the taxi service is bad - I will complain. A company will not want bad taxi's so they will ensure it doesn't happen again.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It is clear from reading your posts, you don't know the difference between tipping and bribing.

That's hysterical...because I tip before a service is performed it's a bribe. :D

Ooohhh nasty bribes... :pac:

The discussion was around if you should get in a taxi with only €9 - the fare. A premeditated no tip scenario.

No that was an assumption by you that I do, which I don't as long as I can help it. Either way I don't tip drivers unless they're sound or deserve it, some ould grumpy bollocks whinging about the weather or government gets the fare and that's it. I paid to be driving somewhere not hear a bitching session about how slow a night it is.

That's hysterical...because I tip before a service is performed it's a bribe. :D

Ooohhh nasty bribes... :pac:

Do you give the waiter the five euro before you get any of your meals?
    or do you wait to after the meal to see if it was good and service efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So you can be polite but the taxi driver can't And mortified??

A 50 year old man holding the door open for a young, healthy couple in their mid-20s is a bit odd like. I'd be mortified if an older man got out and opened a car door for me as if I was a dignitary or something. Sure it's polite, but it's also a bit overly polite and if it's done in the hope I'll give him a pound then it becomes a bit silly.

Aside from taxis, if a waiter helped someone with a buggy up the stairs that isn't deserving of a tip. It's just something the waiter should do anyway, out of basic humane courtesy. If I want to thank him, I should be able to just say "thanks very much" without me giving him money. If his boss paid him decent wages he mightn't need that money, and we can dispense with the whole silly idea that is tipping.
    Is the concept of sections alien in Ireland. You just cost her a $6 tip if the waitresses do not share tips with the barstaff who are tending the bar, and not the service station.

You want the bartender to serve you, sit at the bar.

Yes it is alien. You buy a pint and grab a seat for f*ck's sake. It isn't rocket science. It's called "drinking in a pub and having the craic". Also you can't sit at the bar in Vegas as there's bloody poker machines everywhere which are usually staffed by zombies sitting there pumping note after note into them.
    Me not be a c*nt is tipping someone who helps me.

So if I gave directions to someone while bouncing, or held the door for them, or helped someone in with a wheelchair or called them a cab; I should be tipped? A "thank you" would suffice for me, as 1) it's basic manners I don't expect money for and 2) my boss paid me €17 an hour to man his door and deal with whatever that entailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We eat out a lot. Business travel and also socially.

You would be suprised how many places do in fact remember unpleasant/charming customers.

Where did I say that. I don't tip for a attention, I tip because I want something.

Why would I tip them if they couldn't do anything to make my present or future experience better?

But we're neither unpleasant nor particularly charming. We're perfectly normal, polite, unassumng people who will always leave a minimun 10% tip. I'm not deluding myself that they will remember us they next time we go back because they have no reason to remember us.

So you only tip to make your dining experience better? I thought it was because (in America at least) waiters rely on tips as they make below minium wage and it is a cultural norm. I thought that's that you said previously...

Look, you clearly place a greater emphasis on great service than the rest of us and are happy & willing to pay a premium for it.

Whereas I'm happy with a polite, efficient, knowledgeable server in a restaurant, you clearly want handshakes all round, the chef sending you amuse bouches with his compliments, complimentary aperitifs, and are willing to pay the extra for it. That's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Call me naïve here, but I thought people tipped in appreciation of good service, not in the expectation of it? I think there's a different word for that.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

so lets gets this straight - after bleating on for the majority of your (currently) 60 posts in this thread about rewarding good service and helping the staff make a living, it turns out that your reason for tipping is entirely selfish, and nothing to do with rewarding good service for its own sake.

It's only about how a well-placed tip can benefit you then or in the future.

osarusan wrote: »
    so lets gets this straight - after bleating on for the majority of your (currently) 60 posts in this thread about rewarding good service and helping the staff make a living, it turns out that your reason for tipping is entirely selfish, and nothing to do with rewarding good service for its own sake.

It's only about how a well-placed tip can benefit you then or in the future.

I'm not primarily going out to dinner for the good of society, but I'm stimulating the economy I suppose, most economic decisions are ultimately selfish wouldn't you say.

The threads amuse the hell out of me with the people getting wound up at the thought of someone spending their own money voluntarily. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The threads amuse the hell out of me with the people getting wound up at the thought of someone spending their own money voluntarily. :D
    And nobody has been more wound-up than you at the thought of some people keeping their own money voluntarily.

FTA69 wrote: »
    A 50 year old man holding the door open for a young, healthy couple in their mid-20s is a bit odd like. I'd be mortified if an older man got out and opened a car door for me as if I was a dignitary or something. Sure it's polite, but it's also a bit overly polite and if it's done in the hope I'll give him a pound then it becomes a bit silly.

I hope you tip London cabbies, you'll get cursed at for sure if you don't. Not uncommon for them to reach back and pop the door for you.
    Aside from taxis, if a waiter helped someone with a buggy up the stairs that isn't deserving of a tip. It's just something the waiter should do anyway, out of basic humane courtesy. If I want to thank him, I should be able to just say "thanks very much" without me giving him money. If his boss paid him decent wages he mightn't need that money, and we can dispense with the whole silly idea that is tipping.
    Where? In Ireland or the US?
    Yes it is alien. You buy a pint and grab a seat for f*ck's sake. It isn't rocket science. It's called "drinking in a pub and having the craic". Also you can't sit at the bar in Vegas as there's bloody poker machines everywhere which are usually staffed by zombies sitting there pumping note after note into them.
    Perhaps you should call over the manager and give him some tips on running a bar in Vegas? Have you any idea how much those zombies contribute to the bar, way more than your beers.
    If you want to be "drinking in a pub and having the craic" go to a Irish pub and not a Vegas bar. Perhaps go over to Nine Fine Irishmen at NYNY?
    So if I gave directions to someone while bouncing, or held the door for them, or helped someone in with a wheelchair or called them a cab; I should be tipped? A "thank you" would suffice for me, as 1) it's basic manners I don't expect money for and 2) my boss paid me €17 an hour to man his door and deal with whatever that entailed.

Would you refuse if someone slipped you a tenner?

osarusan wrote: »
    And nobody has been more wound-up than you at the thought of some people keeping their own money voluntarily.

I've had a go at people who decide they will keep their money regardless of the service because frankly they are tight-wads who as others pointed out seek validation from others for their behaviour.

Tipping is an custom in Ireland in restaurants, taxis and hairdressers for generations. All this anti-American culture bull is simply an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

to be fair, iv'e never heard of tipping a taxi driver or a hairdresser until i read this thread.

I've had a go at people who decide they will keep their money regardless of the service because frankly they are tight-wads who as others pointed out seek validation from others for their behaviour.

Tipping is an custom in Ireland in restaurants, taxis and hairdressers for generations. All this anti-American culture bull is simply an excuse.

Don't know what part of Ireland you live in it is custom to tip taxi or hairdressers.

Time and time again you talk about bribery and tipping as if they are the same thing. When pointed out there not you joke and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I'll quote my last post again:

Look, you clearly place a greater emphasis on great service than the rest of us and are happy & willing to pay a premium for it.

Whereas I'm happy with a polite, efficient, knowledgeable server in a restaurant, you clearly want handshakes all round, the chef sending you amuse bouches with his compliments, complimentary aperitifs, and are willing to pay the extra for it. That's fair enough.

So why should people leave a tip when they're perfectly happy with the basic level of service they receive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Madsl.
    [You felt under pressure to avail of service that had a cost that you thought was optional, yet is pretty much widely expected as a cultural norm. Perhaps you ought to rethink who is at fault in that scenario. If you cannot afford the tip your shouldn't buy the service. Or do you expect others to fund your way through life?
    It would suit you better to actually read what I said. I encountered people uptight about how much to tip and when. I never said I personally couldd not afford to tip - quite the opposite I can assure you.
    Again, whose cultural norm? Not mine.
    I never said I was under pressure. I am quite comfortably well off thank God and never has anybody funded my way through life.
    As I said, you might want to take time to actually read and digest what is being said to you rather than leaping blindly into a hole.

Advertisement