Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM machine gave me wrong amount

Options
  • 11-10-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Today I withdrew 200 from an AIB machine in a petrol station shop and I only received 150 out of it.

I could not get any receipt as I am a Bank of Ireland customer, what comeback do I have, what do I need to do??

I checked my online banking and it does say that I withdrew 200, which I should have obviously got.

They basically robbed me of 50 euro :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What did your bank say when you informed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

What did your bank say when you informed them?

It was this evening, bank closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Is the banking 365 service closed? http://www.bankofireland.com/contact-us/
    Worth calling them to register your issue. They should be able to reconcile amount of cash in the machine
    against the number/amount of withdrawals and then spot your under payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

ATM's have a sensor that counts each note as it exits the dispenser. This count and all of the information to a particular transaction is recorded. When you contact the bank give date and time of your withdrawal.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    ATM's have a sensor that counts each note as it exits the dispenser. This count and all of the information to a particular transaction is recorded. When you contact the bank give date and time of your withdrawal.

Rang Banking 355 bank of Ireland and they said it should show up tomorrow or day after with a code or something. I can see the time and date of withdrawal already from my online banking, hope it gets resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Same thing happened me before. I tried withdrawing 400 from an atm at a garage but nothing came out. I told the bank and it was sorted in a couple of days, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Rang Banking 355 bank of Ireland ...
    I don't want to make fun of your loss, but there is a compelling irony here: you also seem to have short-changed BOI.

I had a somewhat similar experience to yours some years ago, made a report to the bank, and the money was credited to my account a couple of days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Fill out a disputed transaction form with your bank.
    That will be sent to AIB. Every ATM has its own account that is balanced at least once a week. That ATM should have a credit created at the time of your transaction and would then be credited back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

They might have changed their procedure though..last month 2 cops got done for claiming they were short changed umpteen times and bank ponied up each time..but banks got suss as the numpties kept going back to the same ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The machine will have reported it, plus there will also be 50 extra in the machine when it is balanced.

They will credit it back to your account. Talk to your bank and/or the branch you withdrew from on tomorrow.

(It will be sorted by Wednesday I would wager)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Had the same thing on friday,
    Got the message 'your transaction has timed out'
    My account says I got the money.
    BOI said it should show up in 3 working days.

Its been 3 working days now and no sign of refund!! Have contacted bank again by email this time. No reply yet.

I am now starting to think that the €50 I was robbed of was given out of ATM just after I left with the €150 or something and the lucky next person in line took it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Ring again, if they were able to verify that the money didn't appear it would usually take a few days for the account to be credited. I'm pretty sure in the small print it says that Banks can take up to 5(or is it 10?) working days to respond to emails so be patient.

Its been 3 working days now and no sign of refund!! Have contacted bank again by email this time. No reply yet.

I am now starting to think that the €50 I was robbed of was given out of ATM just after I left with the €150 or something and the lucky next person in line took it or something.

Even if it were possible for the machine to give a further 50 out after you left, this would also be recorded, and the machine also takes a snapshot of each individual that accesses the machine.

Normal transactions can take 5 - 10 working days to appear. But in your case you can expect to wait up to 30 days.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Even if it were possible for the machine to give a further 50 out after you left, this would also be recorded, and the machine also takes a snapshot of each individual that accesses the machine.

Normal transactions can take 5 - 10 working days to appear. But in your case you can expect to wait up to 30 days.

30 Days?? So should I just wait until then or what?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Happened to me. I am an Ulster Bank customer. Went to a BOI machine one morning when going on my holidays. Selected €600 and after standing around a while the machine timed out. No money came out and my account was debited. Was going mad as I was going on holidays and all.

Rang my bank and they said same as posters here have said, the machine will know what happened and will be credited within a few days. Think it took 4 working days for me if I remember correctly.

30 Days?? So should I just wait until then or what?? Thanks

No don't wait, 30 days is ridiculous, there in no hurry to get around to this. keep on at them, if i was in your position, i'd be emailing and ringing every 2-3 days to speed them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pawel2006

got similar issue recently:

600 EUR disappeared from my BOI bank account 2 weeks ago (27 September). I used my BOI Visa to try to get money from ATM in Dalkey (belonging to other bank - UB) twice and twice I have seen error message on the screen and no money out. Surprise at home: statement showing -600 + 600 - 600 EUR - so total charge 600 EUR for nothing! Logged the claim for refund with my BOI branch (Dublin Baggot Street) immediately. After 2 weeks response from BOI agent: refund refused and no details why. I asked BOI to produce the letter confirming the refund refuse, confirming that BOI contacted UB and why the overcharge is refused, was the ATM balanced at that time, how many credits were generated etc. etc. BOI agent told me she should talk to her Manager if such letter can be produced and kept me on hold for couple of minutes. After that I was told by BOI agent that BOI cannot produce such letter to me. Now after 3 weeks I still do not know if it was fraud or banking error.

it is very strange Bank is refusing to give a letter to customer and bank manager instructing customer service agent to give details over the phone but refuse details in writing - it simply make it more difficult for customer to follow up with other agencies.

Only recommendation I received from BOI agent is that I should raise exactly the same query with BOI second time with the same BOI people and maybe this may work this time after another 2 weeks. I did so but it sounds a bit strange/not professional as there are no new facts so how come raising the same query second time could help???. Was anyone in Ireland in similar situation with BOI or other bank? What should be my next steps?

Any advice? What are the steps to escalate it further? I do not want to leave as somebody has taken advantage of me. I am following this with BOI on the BOI thread but no real response from them to date, just push back. The promised to call me back but no contact. What should I do? 600 EUR is a lot of money. I tried to manage BOI banking fees and get 600 EUR off ATM once a month instead of 20 EUR 30 times but got caught.

Kind Regards,

Pawel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

Hi there,
    I am a manager of a shop where we have an ATM. The machine is not ours and we have nothing got to do with it, the bank come to do everything to it. If a customer says to us that their money didn't come out or not the right amount, I am told to get the customer to go to their bank and fill out a dispute form. Your bank would then get in contact with the company who own the machine and they can remotely dial into the ATM and every transaction can be checked.
    When a customer withdraws money, the ATM (in our shop anyway) records every detail time card was entered, type of card, pin entry success/error (not actual digits), amount selected, amount dispensed in 20s/50s, amount customer collected, account number, amount customer failed to collect (for whatever reason ) . If for whatever reason the full amount isn't dispensed, the remaining notes go in a separate box inside the ATM.
    So go to your bank and fill out the dispute form. Ive had at least 10 customers over the years where this happened and they all got refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pawel2006

chargerman: hopefully my 600 EUR overcharge will be solved. However very disappointed by BOI pushback and lack of actions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Pawel - I'd advise talking to UB also

Their ATM should've been +600 when balancing that eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Today I withdrew 200 from an AIB machine in a petrol station shop and I only received 150 out of it.

I could not get any receipt as I am a Bank of Ireland customer, what comeback do I have, what do I need to do??

I checked my online banking and it does say that I withdrew 200, which I should have obviously got.

They basically robbed me of 50 euro :mad:
    Ring up and report it. When they relaid the machine they'll do a balance and will confirm there is an extra 59 in the machine

Rang them up again yesterday and they said they will 'carry out an investigation', whatever that means, and it will take up to 10 more working days, total bull****!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Happened same to me,was in local store and took out 120e,money came out and 50 note was on top,so i pocketed it and went on my way.Back home noticed that i got 90e in the wallet :confused: 50 and two 20s.Was angry as didn't know was the shop owner doing dodgy stuff,nor had the receipt.So let it go.
    Couple weeks later statement from the bank arrives and 120 euro credited back to account :D
    So not only got 90 but full refund of 120.Thing is current atms have compartments for cash where each nominates go,so if one mistakes 20s box with 50s atm wont catch that as system dispenses cash by its box position etc.So guess owner caught up with whats happened and reported to the bank,as id imagine someone taking out 300 and getting 120,would cause big troubles.
    Only thing is i was using boi card and atm so guess it made matters easier to resolve.
    Also same happened in a place i work,manager misplaced cash boxes,but it was other way around 50 instead of 20s,luckily it got spotted straight away so no damage was done.

2 weeks gone since I rang them and they said they would investigate and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

2 weeks gone since I rang them and they said they would investigate and still nothing.

Walk in to your local bank and put the question to them.

When similar happened someone I know, albeit with AIB when all the monies were sucked back into ATM we went into the bank and a form was filled out, along with 2 other people with same issue. 3-days, 1-working day later (happened on a Friday and return call came on Monday) and all was rectified.

You should just walk into the local branch tomorrow and enquire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Same happened me in Dublin in Feb. Withdrew €40 but only €20 came out. It was a BOI atm but My bank PTSB was deducted €40. Phoned up and told them the story, had date it happened, name of shop, shopkeepers name to verify it, and tried ringing them minutes after it happened.

3 times I rang and each time they told me it was being investigated until after about 2/3 weeks I got a phone call from this woman who told me in no uncertain terms that they investigated and they found nothing wrong and that was that...or so she thought :D

I asked her what her full name was, was this phone call being recorded, was their a copy of the investigation available, were the gaurds notified by the bank as I reported a theft from my account..she shat herself, gave me the phone number of customer services.

I phoned them and explained the situation, told them that I wanted a copy of the 3 phone calls I made to them, asked them for a copy of the investigation, asked them did they find out the times that the atm was refilled with money, was there excess money left in the ATM machine, did they have the names of the people who refilled the ATM that day and were they asked questions and could I have a copy of those questions and their answers, was the shopkeeper questioned by the bank as I had told them he witnessed it...

2 weeks later the €20 was put back into my account.

Keep fighting the bastards, it's your money that was stolen, if you owed the bank €1 the bastards would come after you for it.

Advertisement