Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Entry Door Construction

Options
  • 11-10-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Is anyone using a Domino XL as an alternative to standard M&T joinery to make up exterior doors?
    Interested in first hand experiences and opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Is anyone using a Domino XL as an alternative to standard M&T joinery to make up exterior doors?
    Interested in first hand experiences and opinions.

The domzilla is a class tool. Brilliant for door joinery. Go to www.festoolownersgroup.com and you will see plenty of examples of the domzilla in action.

Do you have many festools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Galway

This would be my first Festool - I have mostly Bosch hand tools - although I have a stationary Festo chain mortiser from 1960 or 70s ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

The domino is a fair tool.

But I'd be a m+t man my self be used for years and is a prooven joint. Why change it and chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Galway

This would be my first Festool - I have mostly Bosch hand tools - although I have a stationary Festo chain mortiser from 1960 or 70s ?.

One tip for the domino is to put a lot of pressure on the front handle and guide the cutter in with your free hand around where the lead plugs into it. Did you get a dust extractor for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I've gone over to the Beadlock system for heavy duty mortices . ( Sorry can't post a link but see www.rockler.com ) Its worth buying one of the router cutters to produce your own tenons.
    It makes really tight M+T joints and there is great satisfaction is saving 2" off the ends of the rails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement