Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS/2DS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Only played for half an hour but love the 3D look and the music is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The start really reminded me of Pokemon in a way with waking up & going to a,b,c,d.
    Just finished the first dungeon I think, got turned into the painting at the end of a mini boss battle.
    Really enjoying it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

GTR63 wrote: »
    The start really reminded me of Pokemon in a way with waking up & going to a,b,c,d.
    Just finished the first dungeon I think, got turned into the painting at the end of a mini boss battle.
    Really enjoying it so far

Welcome to the world of 'A Link to the Past' - released half a decade before the Pokemon franchise was even created ;)

Absolutely loving this game. ALTTP is my favourite game of all time, so you can probably imagine how much my brain exploded when I saw the map in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Absolutely loved Lttp. It's actually my favourite Christmas memory. Finally got to play this today, after staying away from all reviews etc. Wow, even the intro screen got me totally excited. Settling in for a couple of hours now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

o1s1n wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of 'A Link to the Past' - released half a decade before the Pokemon franchise was even created ;)

I actually only played LTTP 2/3 years ago on the GBA whereas I played & replayed about 12 Pokemon games with that same intro so forgive me. But it was as much the intro & then the camera spanning over the map. The Majora Mask then is a small bit like to having a console in your room(I ain't expecting a remake of that despite the hints & wanting to replay it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Come to think of it, the boomerang was particularly poorly implemented - there was only a handful of times, if even, when its use felt necessary!

Regarding puzzles, there is usually a few ways to hit different switches so its never needed for puzzles....but as a combat weapon I found the boomerang excellent. I'm near the end of the game and I use it as one of my two weapons nearly 100% of the time.

Combat item spoilers incoming. :)
    It was one of the first things I upgraded.

It goes full screen, stuns nearly everything, picks up hearts and rupees and you can fire 3 boomerangs at the same time. Frankly I find it the most useful item.

I spent the first half of the game stunning with the boomerang and then smashing the enemies with the upgraded Hammer. This seems to be the best way until you get the tempered sword and then you can just stun with the boomerang and kill with the sword. This frees up the second item slot so you can replace the hammer with whatever you need to use at the time like the sand rod, hook shot, bombs etc.

I found the upgraded Bow takes too much magic to be useful beyond a couple of boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I finished it last night. I've about 15 heart containers to go, and about 35 of those maimais or whatever they're called! The only gripe is that when I finished the game, unless I messed up somewhere, it didn't retain any of my progress from the final dungeon, it just dumped me back to the save point before it. So any items/rupees etc collected in that dungeon were lost.

chrislad wrote: »
    I finished it last night. I've about 15 heart containers to go, and about 35 of those maimais or whatever they're called! The only gripe is that when I finished the game, unless I messed up somewhere, it didn't retain any of my progress from the final dungeon, it just dumped me back to the save point before it. So any items/rupees etc collected in that dungeon were lost.

This is how it works in near every zelda game though. Ocarina, link to the past, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Finally got to play this yesterday after having a tedious few days with the eshop not working properly. Back in the day I was a huge nintendo fan especially around the time of the snes and n64. When I saw this game was being released on the 3ds in a nice bundle I had to buy it. I had never played a 3ds up till the other day, never even played a demo in a shop and I have to say I am very impressed with how smooth everything looks and how the 3d can really change up the dynamic. Not far into Link between worlds, but loving it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Second dungeon down. Loving this game, really nice mix of nostalgia with fresh ideas. Quick question, do you have to rent items, or can you find what you need out in the wild? I needed to rent the
    tornado stick to get into the Windmill dungeon, because I couldn't find another way. Next up is Death Mountain, but as of yet I've no hammer & am wondering if I have to rent it, or will I get it as part of the natural progression of the game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You have to rent the items, you can't find them. You can also choose to buy them later on for a relatively high price. It means you don't lose them when you die, and you also have to fork out the full price if you want to upgrade 'em.

You have to rent the items, you can't find them. You can also choose to buy them later on for a relatively high price. It means you don't lose them when you die, and you also have to fork out the full price if you want to upgrade 'em.

Ah I see. It's a bit of a different dynamic for a Zelda game, you usually have to find items to progress. At least now I know you have to rent them, I'm not missing out on parts of the game by taking the easy route. I've literally just finished Link to the Past, & went straight into this...so wanted to be sure :)

Master of the Universe

I found that a bit jarring at first, like I was suddenly skipping over the 'acquire' phase you've come to expect in every Zelda game. For a moment I actually thought it cheapened it.

Thankfully it doesn't though, just allows you to approach the game in a different way.

The whole 2D Link thing is really a revelation and adds just the right amount of 'new' to make it feel fresh and not just like another play through of ALTTP.

There have been a few times I've been stuck, not knowing where to go, only to suddenly remember the 2D mechanic :D

I found that a bit jarring at first, like I was suddenly skipping over the 'acquire' phase you've come to expect in every Zelda game. For a moment I actually thought it cheapened it.

Thankfully it doesn't though, just allows you to approach the game in a different way.

The whole 2D Link thing is really a revelation and adds just the right amount of 'new' to make it feel fresh and not just like another play through of ALTTP.

There have been a few times I've been stuck, not knowing where to go, only to suddenly remember the 2D mechanic :D

Yeah that's pretty much how I felt about it. I guess though without having to worry about items, you're free to actually get on with the game. It's different, but good nonetheless.

Yeah same re forgetting about 2d :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ah I see. It's a bit of a different dynamic for a Zelda game, you usually have to find items to progress. At least now I know you have to rent them, I'm not missing out on parts of the game by taking the easy route. I've literally just finished Link to the Past, & went straight into this...so wanted to be sure :)

Each Lorule dungeon has it's own item chest in it though, like a
    different suit, better shield
    , etc. So there is still useful gear to collect. It keeps the mystery alive.

Master of the Universe

I'm absolutely loving all the little LTTP nods, like 'Under the Bridge'.

I wonder is the Chris Houlihan Room anywhere in it? :D

I'm absolutely loving all the little LTTP nods, like 'Under the Bridge'.

I wonder is the Chris Houlihan Room anywhere in it? :D

Ha, i thought exactly the same when i went under the bridge.

The tune when you save is another one.

The reworked music is immense

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

About halfway through now, love everything about it. the Renting mechanic makes the world so much more accessible, you can tool up and access all of the world straight off.

The reworked music is immense

I think that is the highlight so far (and there have been a few highlights).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's given me goosebumps more than any other soundtrack in the last few years.

Going into Sanctuary/The Lost Woods for the first time were some of the big standout moments so far. Although to be honest it's all just absolutely great.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It only happens with the rarest of games, but you know the feeling of utter emptiness you get when you finish a truly great game? I just got that feeling. :o

I got all maiamais, most heart containers, did the treacherous tower and got 30+ hours out of it (despite reports that it was a 15 hour game), so I can't complain.

I just wish that Nintendo had the courage to include Hero Mode from the very start.

I've three sages rescued from Lorule, dreading finishing the game. Havn't enjoyed a game this much in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Mr E wrote: »
    It only happens with the rarest of games, but you know the feeling of utter emptiness you get when you finish a truly great game? I just got that feeling. :o

I got all maiamais, most heart containers, did the treacherous tower and got 30+ hours out of it (despite reports that it was a 15 hour game), so I can't complain.

I just wish that Nintendo had the courage to include Hero Mode from the very start.

I had an anxiety attack this evening when I realised I have only two dungeons left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Would I get more from it if I went back to LttP and finally finished it?
    Sorry, my secret shame there :(

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Would I get more from it if I went back to LttP and finally finished it?
    Sorry, my secret shame there :(

Depends. how big a Zelda fan are you? I went back to LttP & finished it right before starting Between Worlds...I'm glad I did because it had been years since I played LttP & having it fresh in my mind was a great way to rate Between Worlds against it.

Depends. how big a Zelda fan are you? I went back to LttP & finished it right before starting Between Worlds...I'm glad I did because it had been years since I played LttP & having it fresh in my mind was a great way to rate Between Worlds against it.

And how did it rate?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    And how did it rate?

I'm four sages into Lorule, but so far, yeah, it's an incredible game & a very, very worthy successor to my personal favorite game of all time. It's been ages since I enjoyed a game this much.

When done, I've Wind Waker HD to tackle...& seeing as I only played the original for a few hours, I'm kinda looking forward to playing though it fully this time. So between LttP, Between Worlds, & Wind Waker...it's very much been a Zelda Xmas

I'm four sages into Lorule, but so far, yeah, it's an incredible game & a very, very worthy successor to my personal favorite game of all time. It's been ages since I enjoyed a game this much.

When done, I've Wind Waker HD to tackle...& seeing as I only played the original for a few hours, I'm kinda looking forward to playing though it fully this time. So between LttP, Between Worlds, & Wind Waker...it's very much been a Zelda Xmas

:eek:. Well I'm Jealous. Wind Waker is brilliant.

I like all the Zelda's and LttP will always be my favourite but I prefer Wind waker to skyward sword and twilight princess. The HD version is the better version too as they made all sorts of improvements. You can get the swift sail for a faster boat, a much faster grappling hook by default, you can move and aim at the same time now and they reworked some of the end of the game to be less grindy. Lots of little things. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son is currently having the "best time ever" with WW:HD, flying through it with just occasional Gamefaq help, but doing well for a ten year old!
    I asked him what on earth he'd do if he finished it too fast, he said "just move onto Twilight Princess of course", that's me told.

Advertisement