Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for about €400?

• 11-10-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. My laptop is fit for the bin and I need to buy a new one. I don't have a lot of money..my budget's around €400..Can you suggest a half decent one? Just using it for everyday use but would like if it had fairly good graphics. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

15.6" HP laptop, Core i3 3110M, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, £347 @ SOL (~ €410 incl delivery)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anything decent around €400 in a bricks and mortar store?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Anything decent around €400 in a bricks and mortar store?

ASUS X501A, Core i3 (2nd gen 2330M), 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, HDMI out, 1x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, no optical drive. €389 @ HN

Thanks Torqay,
    Is that Asus better than the HP 250? Basically,my Lenovo laptop keeps switching off,its banjaxed but served me well! All I'm looking for is best value laptop out there cos I'm strapped for cash. Just need it for general computing,surfing,storing photos etc.

• Advertisement

Is that Asus better than the HP 250?

No. But you asking for a B&M deal.

The 3rd gen Core i3 is ~20% faster than its 2nd generation predecessor. Also the onchip Intel HD graphics has improved. And the HP does have a DVD-RW drive. The only feature the ASUS has in its favour would be the USB 3.0 port but in terms of performance the HP is clearly the better choice.

Ok,thanks.
    Are saveonlaptops good to deal with?Have they a decent warranty and returns policy?Seems they get kinda mixed reviews from boardsies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bought from them a few times, found them good, very fast delivery, never had to deal with any warranty issues though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭otterj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Torqay wrote: »
    15.6" HP laptop, Core i3 3110M, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, £347 @ SOL (~ €410 incl delivery)

The HP 250 with a slighter lower spec is available here from Ireland.

https://www.laptops4students.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=36

The Irish offering has an older processor chip, also doesn't offer Wireless N - other than that, looks the same as far as I can see. As has an Irish address, maybe yo could consider that a B+M option?

If you add in the coupon code L4SOCT31, you'll get a free carrybag also I think.

From a performance point of view, do you see much difference to the one on SOL website, as need to pick up a laptop for family member (internet use etc) at this proce point?

Do I need Wireless N to get a wireless signal?

Is there anything of decent spec and good value on amazon.co.uk or ebay.ie?Around £300-£350 mark. Amazon are decent to deal with,in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭otterj

Torqay wrote: »
    AMD A4??? I don't think so.

No? Read a few good reviews on it... was thinking of getting one myself. iS amd processor a waste of time?

otterj wrote: »
    iS amd processor a waste of time?

Pretty much so. Maybe with the exception of an AMD A-10 which are rather pricey here.

The A-10 combines the processing power of an Intel Core i3 with a graphics performance comparable to a Nvidia GT 630M. Nothing stellar but acceptable for the "casual gamer".

One step down, the AMD A-8 compares a current Pentium processor and the graphics is not much better than Intel's HD 4000.

The A-4 and A-6 are only dual core processors and entirely out of the question.

Torqay or anyone else who seems knowledgeable on these things...what about this thats been posted on the BA forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063568

Seems a good deal for the price(if its true).....or am I missing something?

Torqay or anyone else who seems knowledgeable on these things...what about this thats been posted on the BA forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063568

Seems a good deal for the price(if its true).....or am I missing something?

HN sold this model with a Celeron 1000M for €299. The offer is gone now, the same model with a Core i3-2330M is selling for €389.

Would you know the processor?

I have seen two of the laptops (with the Celeron), good deal for €299 (if you can do with only 2 USB ports and without a DVD drive).

Thought I read on that BA thread that it was an i3 Ivy bridge processor,which would make it a pretty good deal?
    Can I get external optical/dvd drive for decent money?And hook it up via USB port to play DVD's/CD's etc?

Thought I read on that BA thread that it was an i3 Ivy bridge processor,which would make it a pretty good deal?

If that is true... even with a Sandy Bridge i3 it is good deal. But I'd rather check with the seller.
    Can I get external optical/dvd drive for decent money?And hook it up via USB port to play DVD's/CD's etc?

25 yoyos at Dabs.

Though there might be a problem with the power supply. Sometimes these drives need 2 USB ports. Now in the ASUS X501A there's only one on each side, you may need an extension.

It is a Core i3 all right but an older ULV model, less computing power than a current Celeron processor.

CS6oI62.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah OK,so that other Asus in Powercity would be better?And its cheaper!

Ah OK,so that other Asus in Powercity would be better?And its cheaper!

It all depends on the processor. Powercity isn't very clear on that, better ring them up.

Advertisement