Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda using the force.

Options
  • 11-10-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can someone tell me if this is correct. My sons girlfriend received a summons in the letter box the other day, for being seen..... having a child in the back that was not restrained, no road tax. Can this hold up in court, just being seen.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Did she travel with no tax and an unrestrained child?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can someone tell me if this is correct. My sons girlfriend received a summons in the letter box the other day, for being seen..... having a child in the back that was not restrained, no road tax. Can this hold up in court, just being seen.

Putting the child restraint to one side. Does she have her motor tax, if no, how long is it out?

As for being seen, not sure, but gardas word counts for a lot in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What other proof of having an unrestrained child would you expect?
    Only way to know you have unrestrained child is "to see it".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

These are not the penalty points you're looking for?

That being said, could be their word against hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

If the Garda who saw her shows up in court to give evidence then yes it can hold up in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'd be less concerned with the garda or the car tax and more concerned that your son's girlfriend is the sort of person who would intentionally endanger the life of a child by having them unrestrained in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was she stopped at any time by Gardai, or did letter just arrive out of the blue?
    Does she have tax?
    It's not likely the Gardai would be able to notice tax unless car was at a standstill, maybe at a check point.

But yeah, a Garda witness will most probably stand up in court. Is she intending to fight the fine but she did the crime(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

If she had no tax at the time she will have to pay a fine regardless even if it goes to court.
    If the lady in question was seen with an un restrained child in the back seat by the a witness why didnt the gardai come after her and stop her there and then and summon her or give her penalty points on the spot after all it is there job and the interest of safety and the child. If it goes to court I can't see her being convicted because your sons girlfriend can argue the child was restrained and a witness saw something and could have been mistaken.
    I'd contact a solictor for clarity anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Garda could have been on foot or otherwise unable to stop the car and just recorded the number plate and perhaps description of the driver. A quick check later of the database could show no tax against her plate. If someone else was driving the car at the time then the registered owner gets the notice unless they declare the true driver.
    A Garda has a special duty to uphold the law and simply seeing an offence is often ample evidence for the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I've heard of something similar happening to someone a few months back actually. For no NCT, rather then tax.
    Got a letter in the post about court.
    Went, said he wasn't driving it, and got away with it. He said the main reason was they never had any record of pulling him over, or that it was even him driving it when it was seen. Could go either way though.
    Tell he to cop on and restrain the child though. Just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Read title thinking Garda used Jedi powers.

Left dissapointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yes, he saw it happen.

If he talked to her about it he would have wasted time to see other things happening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

What exactly was the summons for? Was she stopped and spoken to by the Guard at the time? Did she receive a fixed charge notice before? Did she pay that or ignore it? There is more to the story there I'd suspect.

To answer your question yes the Guard will give his eye witness evidence in court. It is up to the Judge to determine if it is credible but generally it will be taken as a given.

I'd have little sympathy for someone driving with unrestrained kids in their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

So are the garda known for sending random fines to random people for no reason? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So your sons girlfriend is looking for a defense for no tax and recklessly endangering a childlike by having them unrestrained in the rear of her car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 juneireland

Hi
    My point exactly, if guard saw child without restraints she should have been stopped and given a warning etc. not left to drive on. (child is always trying to climb out of baby chair, so obviously caught at the time of trying to escape. Tax only just run out, 3 weeks overdue. She was not stopped and knew nothing until summons arrived in post. Guard was able to jot down car plate, so must of been driving behind, so to look at escaping child and no road tax he had very good eye sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hi
    My point exactly, if guard saw child without restraints she should have been stopped and given a warning etc. not left to drive on. (child is always trying to climb out of baby chair, so obviously caught at the time of trying to escape. Tax only just run out, 3 weeks overdue. She was not stopped and knew nothing until summons arrived in post. Guard was able to jot down car plate, so must of been driving behind, so to look at escaping child and no road tax he had very good eye sight.

Or he saw the unrestrained child, and when he checked PULSE the car showed as having no tax. You dont have to see an old tax disc to find out if the car is taxed or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Title?
    I thought you got kicked in the teeth or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Tell the judge that the child crawled into the front and ate the tax-disk.
    It will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Hi

Maybe he or she was a guard on the beat and not in a position to stop the driver?

If the child escapes their restraints then the driver has to stop...no excuses, no high horses, no debates. I say this as the parent of 2 children who know better at this stage. Belts on or we're going nowhere.

Tax out by 3 weeks should be no problem in court. Obviously by now she has back taxed the car and the judge would strike out this summons.

It's a big jump to assume that the guard was abusing their power by issuing two summons for these offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yup, it's allowed. Similarly if they form the opinion that a car is speeding, that's enough to issue a fine & points. No proof needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

veetwin wrote: »
    If the child escapes their restraints then the driver has to stop...no excuses, no high horses, no debates.
    If driver is able to stop or not depends on road conditions.
    It's not possible to stop everywhere.
    Tax out by 3 weeks should be no problem in court. Obviously by now she has back taxed the car and the judge would strike out this summons.
    And that's the stupidity of our tax system.
    For driving untaxed should be a proper fine, not just possibility to backtax and be grand in court. That's the reason why old motortax system of declaring cars off the road retrospectively didn't work - and they change it to new system which is also not going to work.
    All what they had to do was to start issuing heavy fines for anyone found driving untaxed vehicle, and no system change would be necessery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

CJC999 wrote: »
    So your sons girlfriend is looking for a defense for no tax and recklessly endangering a childlike by having them unrestrained in the rear of her car?
    Sounds like it from the posts so far and the claims that the guard should have stopped the car. Perhaps he wasn't wearing his hat?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Was at an open day recently in my local station where they showed the CCTV system and how it could zoom in on the tax disk. No reason to say something similar couldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

get teh child to give evidence of how they hate the straps and are always put on....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Julio1

:D:D:D
    Read title thinking Garda used Jedi powers.

Left dissapointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 juneireland

hi
    I'm not saying guard was abusing his power, I'm a grandmom of 10, I also have a child with autism, so I am all for restraints OBVIOUSLY. What I am saying is, if it was only for having a child that was unrestrained, is it not a case of her word against theirs, court costs etc. As for not being restrained, child was in baby seat, just able to pull off straps from shoulders, waist straps are still there. Its not only child seat belts, what will we be seen doing next

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hi
    I'm not saying guard was abusing his power, I'm a grandmom of 10, I also have a child with autism, so I am all for restraints OBVIOUSLY. What I am saying is, if it was only for having a child that was unrestrained, is it not a case of her word against theirs, court costs etc. As for not being restrained, child was in baby seat, just able to pull off straps from shoulders, waist straps are still there.
    Child is still not properly restrained. It won't be catapulted out of the car in an impact but it could suffer horrific facial/spinal injuries and the impact to the back of the head during recoil could be fatal.
    Its not only child seat belts, what will we be seen doing next
    Holding a mobile phone, texting, preening oneself in the mirror, reading, driving with both hands off the steering wheel? Seen it all, pity a Garda wasn't around to see it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What I am saying is, if it was only for having a child that was unrestrained, is it not a case of her word against theirs, court costs etc.
    You do know what a witness is, don't you?

You can always take the case to court and accuse the Guard of lying under oath. I presume you would have some proof to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'd be less concerned with the garda or the car tax and more concerned that your son's girlfriend is the sort of person who would intentionally endanger the life of a child by having them unrestrained in the car.

Do you also judge your parents who most likely carried you unrestrained in their car?

Advertisement