Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda using the force.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Do you also judge your parents who most likely carried you unrestrained in their car?

There where no rear seat belts when I was a child. People drank like a fish and drove home. Times have changed and that's one of the reasons we've gone from killing several hundred people a year on our roads to the low amount now.

hi
    I'm not saying guard was abusing his power, I'm a grandmom of 10, I also have a child with autism, so I am all for restraints OBVIOUSLY. What I am saying is, if it was only for having a child that was unrestrained, is it not a case of her word against theirs, court costs etc. As for not being restrained, child was in baby seat, just able to pull off straps from shoulders, waist straps are still there. Its not only child seat belts, what will we be seen doing next

If the child was properly restrained when put in the car they wouldn't be able to get their shoulders out of the restraints. They need to be tight, only enough space for a few fingers between the child and harness, or else they don't work correctly.

Garda can arrest and prosecute for a lot of things they see. Like fighting, criminal damage, speeding etc. It'll come down to who the judge believes in court and they usually believe the officer of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Tax only just run out, 3 weeks overdue.

You get a notice a month before your tax runs out to renew it, so it took her 7 weeks? And that's only because she got caught. She has the money to run a car, she has the money to tax a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... what will we be seen doing next
    Who knows but if it's a Guard with good eye-sight and ye're caught speeding, using s phone behind the wheel, breaking the lights, dangerous parking, hopefully he or she will send a summons / fine in the post to ye again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Del2005 wrote: »
    There where no rear seat belts when I was a child.
    No retracting seat belts in the front either. You had to hang them up when you were done using them. Most cars I remember had them pooled down the side of the seats, ready to trip you up when exiting the car. Some people treat their cars like mobile skips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Del2005 wrote: »
    There where no rear seat belts when I was a child. People drank like a fish and drove home. Times have changed and that's one of the reasons we've gone from killing several hundred people a year on our roads to the low amount now.

Go back and read my post including the post I quoted. I'm not saying it's right to drive without a child restrained I'm merely saying the post I quoted was very condescending.

So you are saying that somebody who drink drives is the same as driving with an unrestrained child?

Have the motorways / improved roads / increased guards presence / safer cars done noting at all to do with the fall on road deaths? Do you work for the RSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Holding a mobile phone, texting, preening oneself in the mirror, reading, driving with both hands off the steering wheel? Seen it all, pity a Garda wasn't around to see it though.
    Saw an ISM driving instructor driving along the M50 yesterday doing just that, unwrapping a sandwich or something like that, and not only that but he was hogging the middle lane. There really is no hope :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Tax is not 'only just out' if it's 3 weeks out. If it was out 3/4 days, fair enough. 3 weeks may as well be a month out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

While not for a second condoning carrying a child unrestrained intentionally, the fact that you can get summonsed out of the blue for something that you weren't stopped for rankles me somewhat. ANPR etc can be used to detect out of date tax, insurance etc (it's objective), but to get summonsed for something that was seen and not acted on then and there goes against natural justice (from my layman's perspective, anyway).

God knows my own kids have wriggled out of their straps or accidentally popped the seatbelt button on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Yakuza wrote: »
    While not for a second condoning carrying a child unrestrained intentionally, the fact that you can get summonsed out of the blue for something that you weren't stopped for rankles me somewhat. ANPR etc can be used to detect out of date tax, insurance etc (it's objective), but to get summonsed for something that was seen and not acted on then and there goes against natural justice (from my layman's perspective, anyway).

God knows my own kids have wriggled out of their straps or accidentally popped the seatbelt button on occasion.

Always the possibility the garda was on foot and traffic moved off before they reached the offending car.

I know alot of gardai mightn't bother making a note and following it up when they got back to the station but the garda may have been a new parent themselves or affected but a similar instance and was more determined to follow it all the way.

• Advertisement

If the child is properly restrained in the car then they can't get free. A UK survey a few years ago found a huge percentage of children weren't properly restrained in cars.
    The Garda was doing their job. The child wasn't restrained and obviously the Garda couldn't get the car stopped to issue a ticket. I'm glad that it was followed up, at least it shows a Garda who's willing to go the extra bit to protect innocent people from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

No Pants wrote: »
    No retracting seat belts in the front either. You had to hang them up when you were done using them. Most cars I remember had them pooled down the side of the seats, ready to trip you up when exiting the car. Some people treat their cars like mobile skips.

I remember the Oul Lads Vauxhall Victor with a bench seat and no seat belts.

The emergency restraint system consisted of himself reaching across the front of whatever bunch of kids managed to squeez in onto the seat whenever he hit the breaks a bit hard resulting in plenty of face planting into the windscreen or landing in the footwell.

Good times, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

RustyNut wrote: »
    I remember the Oul Lads Vauxhall Victor with a bench seat and no seat belts.

The emergency restraint system consisted of himself reaching across the front of whatever bunch of kids managed to squeez in onto the seat whenever he hit the breaks a bit hard resulting in plenty of face planting into the windscreen or landing in the footwell.

Good times, good times.
    My Da had to get a crankshaft replaced twice under warranty in the early to mid 80s. For one of the replacements, the dealership gave him the loan of a car. This car had no passenger seat. In it's place there was a wooden kitchen chair. It was loose, not fixed to the floor in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If the Garda witnesses an offence that is generally enough, there is no legal requirement to inform you directly of the error of your ways. For example, if Garda saw your unattended car illegally parked in a street would you expect him to ignore it because you're not around, hang around until you show up, or just go ahead in your absence with the fixed penalty notice which you get some weeks later in the post? Same situation.

Advertisement