Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmarried couple with child looking to move to OZ, Visa help please

Options
  • 11-10-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Wel as above me and my girlfriend are looking into moving to OZ, im a 28 year old quantity surveyor with about 5 years experience and she 29 year old is a childcare worker/special needs assistant.

Question is what visa would we best trying for im not up on all the sub class since the change. Dunno if it matters but i have a brother who is a resident in Perth.

I or her have haven't used our working holiday visa yet, were in no rush as the child isn't born yet but id like to get as much research done as possible.

Can anyone help be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I would say get stuck into the immi site and do your research, as Australia is very protective of the rights and well-being of children in regard to immigration.

The WHV, if still i understand it correctly, does not permit you to bring a dependant child. Previously, you weren't allowed to have any children to get a WHV. With that in mind, you'd be looking for a skilled visa, or some form of sponsorship. Always worthwhile calling Immigration for a chat and ask some questions about the best path for you all. I'd recommend calling as soon as the line opens.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Pretty sure your brother can sponsor you, don't know which subclass its under. Other than that you can look into a 190

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cman101

ok have a bit of a look around o the immigration site and i reckon its via 189 or 190 , and we should meet the 60 points that is required. not sure on the brothers chances of getting me sponsorded as you have to prove all the reasons seems hardder than the 189 or 190.

Has anyone on here done the 189 or 190 route would love some guidance, costs , waiting time etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A Brother sponsoring is only valid for a 489 visa and even then it's only worth 10 points out of 60.

QS is on the SOL so you could get a 189 or if required a 190. If you are thinking of emigrating and you got the qualifications and experience go for PR visa especially if you are going be bringing a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If the baby is born in Australia, it won't become a citizen until its 5th birthday, so if visa's didn't work out that can always be a backup.

Plenty of work advertised for QS. A lot more work is going in Queensland in the Surat & Bowen Basin areas with CSG/LNG (Coal Seam Gas/Liquified Natural Gas) industries. It's more FIFO (fly in/fly out) work so basing yourself in Brisbane is an option.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    A Brother sponsoring is only valid for a 489 visa and even then it's only worth 10 points out of 60.

The op would get at least 25 points maybe even 30 just for showing up under the age factor and then between 10 and 20 points for English language ability, thats 60 points right there.

pete4130 wrote: »
    If the baby is born in Australia, it won't become a citizen until its 5th birthday, so if visa's didn't work out that can always be a backup.

What sort of BS back up is that?

A child born in Australia has to have at least one parent who is either a PR or Citizen to be considered an Australian Citizen. If both patents are on temporary visas then the child will have the same temporary visa.

The Child will have an Australian Birth certificate but does not mean its an Australian.

However a child who was born in Australia and spent first 10 years if its life in Australia can claim Australian citizenship, doesn't mean the patents are automatically granted PR or Citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I remember reading a thread here where people who were on visas with their Irish children mentioned that they were eligible to pay for annual charges for their child to go to primary school as they were not deemed to have paid enough historical tax conrributions to enable them to recieve the schooling for free. Worked out at 2k pa. I suppose not every country is as lush as Ireland with their bonanza giveaways for immigrants.

Most medical policies will not cover pre existing conditions - this includes pregnancy in many cases. How will you cover the medical charges? No doubt this will be looked at as part of your ability to pay/self support for entry.

I remember reading a thread here where people who were on visas with their Irish children mentioned that they were eligible to pay for annual charges for their child to go to primary school as they were not deemed to have paid enough historical tax conrributions to enable them to recieve the schooling for free. Worked out at 2k pa. I suppose not every country is as lush as Ireland with their bonanza giveaways for immigrants.

I think you are thinking of the introduction of school fees for 457 holders in WA, currently on hold. NSW and ACT have been charging that for years, it nothing to do with historical tax but more that they are not permanent residents. Tax has nothing to do with it.

Most medical policies will not cover pre existing conditions - this includes pregnancy in many cases. How will you cover the medical charges? No doubt this will be looked at as part of your ability to pay/self support for entry.

Providing there is a reciprocal health agreement in-place with your visa the birth would be covered since it's classed as necessary hospital procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I suppose not every country is as lush as Ireland with their bonanza giveaways for immigrants.
    When you say immigrants, do you mean EU citizen or non-EU?

QS is on the SOL so you could get a 189 or if required a 190. If you are thinking of emigrating and you got the qualifications and experience go for PR visa especially if you are going be bringing a baby.

What number is the PR visa i though 189 and 190 were PR visas??

I plan in going in a year or so im not in any panic just want to get all my info together.

Is there anyone on here that has or is in a similar position. Also i see you have to pay a certain amount and not even guaranteed a visa whats the upfront cost of this .

Lastly would you recommend Visa first or an agent to do the works if so what are there fees??

Any help much appricated

cman101 wrote: »
    What number is the PR visa i though 189 and 190 were PR visas??

I plan in going in a year or so im not in any panic just want to get all my info together.

Is there anyone on here that has or is in a similar position. Also i see you have to pay a certain amount and not even guaranteed a visa whats the upfront cost of this .

Lastly would you recommend Visa first or an agent to do the works if so what are there fees??

Any help much appricated

189 and 190 are both PR visa, 489 is provisional temporary visa.

You would need to get a skills assessment first, register for Expression of interest and if invited you can apply.

Really you only pay for skills assessment and IELTS English test if required up front and the bulk when you apply for the visa.

189 and 190 are both PR visa, 489 is provisional temporary visa.

You would need to get a skills assessment first, register for Expression of interest and if invited you can apply.

Really you only pay for skills assessment and IELTS English test if required up front and the bulk when you apply for the visa.

have you went through this process?? roughly what would i be looking at for the skills assessment, IELTS.

cman101 wrote: »
    have you went through this process?? roughly what would i be looking at for the skills assessment, IELTS.

I went through 856 which is a different process.

but a google search will tell you

Skills assessment Au$600
    http://www.aiqs.com.au/site.php?id=76

IELTS I think is €190

http://www.ieltsdublin.com/default.aspx

Visa for you $3520
    visa for GF $1760
    visa for baby $880

Plus cost of medicals, X-Rays, Police Certificates etc need to Google that yourself

I went through 856 which is a different process.

but a google search will tell you

Skills assessment Au$600
    http://www.aiqs.com.au/site.php?id=76

IELTS I think is €190

http://www.ieltsdublin.com/default.aspx

Visa for you $3520
    visa for GF $1760
    visa for baby $880

Plus cost of medicals, X-Rays, Police Certificates etc need to Google that yourself

Thanks good infor there,

Is there anyone on here that has done and what would you think my chances of getting the visa would be . As a quantity surveyor is on the skills lists

Advertisement