Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of the bath?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They're also pretty handy for actually having a bath! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm glad I came across this thread. I was seriously thinking of getting rid of the bath in my bathroom as it takes up practically half the space and is very very rarely used but after reading about advantages here that I never considered, I'll keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm glad I came across this thread. I was seriously thinking of getting rid of the bath in my bathroom as it takes up practically half the space and is very very rarely used but after reading about advantages here that I never considered, I'll keep it!

I'd love to get rid of the bath as like yours mine also takes up nearly half the bathroom floor space. Plus I rarely ever take a bath. With the exception of having kids I don't really see much point in them compared to a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

We ripped the bath out of a 2 bed apartment and put in a double luxury shower with tiled floors/walls and it was the best thing we did.
    The floor is always dry now whereas with the bath even with curtain rail it wasn't. The tenants all love it and the place no longer smells of damp.
    The bad part was it cost 3k to do but would do it again anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

No Pants wrote: »
    Can she stand up? If so, get her into the shower.

I raised my daughter in an apartment without a bath and it was a nightmare once she was out of the baby bath. Cue both of us shivering and wet everytime I needed to wash her.... Can't remember exactly but I'd say she was 5 or 6 before she was old enough to really handle the shower...

How about something like this
    http://www.advanz.ie/products-services/easy-access-shower-bath/
    Best of both worlds kind of thing

Have a shower over bath arrangement now which is great for the new baby, but I miss having a decent shower!! Loved my baths when I was pregnant though :P

No idea how much the combo costs but it might be worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 butlere

Thanks for all the help and advice - bath was picked out today..

Gone is the dream of the big double shower, but probably was being selfish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lomb wrote: »
    We ripped the bath out of a 2 bed apartment and put in a double luxury shower with tiled floors/walls and it was the best thing we did.
    The floor is always dry now whereas with the bath even with curtain rail it wasn't. The tenants all love it and the place no longer smells of damp.
    The bad part was it cost 3k to do but would do it again anyday.

Can I ask why is it so expensive ? It is the case that a lot re-plumbing has to be done ? Aside from the cost of materials, shower unit, tiles etc what did the labour costs come to? I'm also in a 2 bed apartment and would love to do the same as yourself but 3k is a fair whack of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

butlere wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help and advice - bath was picked out today..

Great. You know it makes sense! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask why is it so expensive ?
    It may come down to how much you can do yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Plumbing a bath yourself is relatively easy but messy.

We have a small bathroom and refitted it. Similar issue on the bath taking up so much space but we found a solution. We got a p shaped bath, one end is bigger to have a shower in it.

You can buy or make bath panels to have storage in them. Under the sink has storage we didn't have before. A corner medicine cabinet gave us more again and a mirror that can be used in the shower of the sink

The bathroom is much more usable and far superior to what we had before where the previous owners took out the bath and put in a shower. We have a better shower more storage and a bath. I also recommend buying a shaving mirror with a light in it. Ours is on an extendible arm so above the toilet but extends to be over the sink. The windows is above the sink so that is why we couldn't put a mirror directly over the sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Another benefit to keeping the bath is that most built-in showers don't have detachable showerheads. A detachable showerhead is very useful with children, especially when they go through that delightful phase of being very determined to play with their poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

butlere wrote: »

Might be a blessing in disguise the double shower may have led to 2 in the bath ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

ongarboy wrote: »
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd love to get rid of the bath as like yours mine also takes up nearly half the bathroom floor space. Plus I rarely ever take a bath. With the exception of having kids I don't really see much point in them compared to a shower.

What would you do with the extra space?

It's a bathroom. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Valetta wrote: »

Getting in and out of showers and baths can be a problem. Before I changed it around there was less room to take your clothes off due to the way the door opened on the shower.

For some unknown reason they had a bidet in there and huge sink. Much more room to move now and it doesn't feel cramped or claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Valetta wrote: »

Store laundry, clean towels (separately), swing cats ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Victor wrote: »
    Do not use the kitchen sink for washing children, hands, clothes, etc. as it is unhygenic - use it only for food and food utensils / crockery, etc.

Ahh, isn't that why most Irish households have that rectangular plastic bucket thing in the kitchen sink, so that dishes can be washed in it, and underwear, kids etc in the sink itself?

It sickens visitors from back home when I explain this to them - we tend to think that it's disguisting to even have the washing machine in the kitchen. But that's what I've come to understand from visiting various Irish homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ahh, isn't that why most Irish households have that rectangular plastic bucket thing in the kitchen sink, so that dishes can be washed in it, and underwear, kids etc in the sink itself?

It sickens visitors from back home when I explain this to them - we tend to think that it's disguisting to even have the washing machine in the kitchen. But that's what I've come to understand from visiting various Irish homes.

I thought that bucket thing was only for people who had lost their plug stopper?

You wouldn't get much of a child into our sink anyway.

Advertisement