Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Fencing for a garden

• 11-10-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Where can you buy garden fencing for the perimeter of a garden say online?
    And also a garden shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

What kind of fencing ??

Post and rail, chainlink, shiplap, concrete ? do you want steel postd, wooden posts concrete posts ??

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Looking for Chainlink would prefer that over the other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Chainlink wouldn't really be considered garden fencing, more industrial, plus it's horrible.
    Go with some form of timber fence or plant a hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

david-k wrote: »
    Chainlink wouldn't really be considered garden fencing, more industrial, plus it's horrible.
    Go with some form of timber fence or plant a hedge.

You may not like it but I would certainly disagree with any suggestion that Chainlink fencing is not for gardens. Not only is chainlink a very strong and discreet form of fencing, ideal for larger garden boundaries especially in urban and rural areas. In comparison to other alternatives, it is very cost effective, requiring little or no ongoing maintenance and in time providing a transparent and secure boundary without impeding plant development.

Chainlink is also used for industrial boundaries but as the attached photos show, when combined with a post and rail makes a very neat and secure boundary or the more economical method of simply securing the chainlink to posts:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Yeah i already have wooden fencing around the perimeter but its already breaking down,rotting away,and also isnt strongly held in the garden.Also the fencing would be for the bottom of my garden way behind my shrubs and flowerbeds.Its main purpose would be for keeping my two dogs from escaping into the wilderness.Its basically invisible from the front of the garden.I want chainlink because it would be more sturdy and cost less to maintain.Plus when i am working at the back there where the chainlink would be located id like to see easily through it to check on the woodlands for any encroaching weeds.
    So are there any online shops that sell chainlink fences with metal posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Looking for Chainlink would prefer that over the other stuff

For chain link I would go for the PVC coated stuff and steel galvanized T posts.

Bit of work involved to install it right but I recently put in one myself. It looks well and should last for ever..

I used the Lippi system. Post every 2.5 meters with support struts at corners and every 25 meters. Everything was pre drilled for the tension wire and hanging the chain link was simple. Rented a post auger, drilled holes, set the posts and support struts in concrete and 2 days later strung the tension wire and hung the chain link. Just shy of 180 meters and took me about 2 days total..

Personally I have never found that wooden posts last, concrete posts look ugly and tend to crack so I went down the steel route. You can also get them powder coated but the supplier I used recommended that I avoid those..

Advertisement