Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos~false offers instore!!

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Was in Castlebar Argos yday,saw a good offer for a Sony TV,virtually at half price valid till 15th October,member of staff went thru offer with me and I said I would think it over and go back over wkd if buying it,she said that's fine,went back in today,guess what,......they or no other Argos store nearby has said TV in stock,next delivery not till 25th Oct
    Asked her if I could pay deposit/reserve TV at current price,she checked with manager and said she would take my name but couldn't reserve :guarantee at offer price......Told her that was def case of false advertising and she just went all red and sheepish looking,said hopefully they could offer it at reduced price on 25th....... To me that is pure false advertising.
    PS~didn't say on offer 'while stocks last'.....def a gimmick to get people into shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Was in Castlebar Argos yday,saw a good offer for a Sony TV,virtually at half price valid till 15th October,member of staff went thru offer with me and I said I would think it over and go back over wkd if buying it,she said that's fine,went back in today,guess what,......they or no other Argos store nearby has said TV in stock,next delivery not till 25th Oct
    Asked her if I could pay deposit/reserve TV at current price,she checked with manager and said she would take my name but couldn't reserve :guarantee at offer price......Told her that was def case of false advertising and she just went all red and sheepish looking,said hopefully they could offer it at reduced price on 25th....... To me that is pure false advertising.

It's not false advertising. They had the offer, tv sold out. More due in. However Argos reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time. Read the fine print on offers. Know your rights, don't presume you do.

Look, working in retail, I will never ever promise a price for something that was on offer but out of stock. The girl did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Zhane wrote: »
    It's not false advertising. They had the offer, tv sold out. More due in. However Argos reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time. Read the fine print on offers. Know your rights, don't presume you do.
    Read my edited post.

Read my edited post.

Read mine.

Zhane wrote: »
    Read mine.
    Which Argos do you work on?;)..... Staff member went thru offer yday,never said anything about store been low on stocks of Tvs.....something tells me they had none in the first place,night night.

Which Argos do you work on?;)..... Staff member went thru offer yday,never said anything about store been low on stocks of Tvs.....something tells me they had none in the first place,night night.

I don't work for Argos. You said yourself it was a good offer. Argos has good marketing people, people will know its a good offer, and sold out pretty fast. The term that comes to mind is 'ya snooze, ya lose'

Nighty night!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PS~didn't say on offer 'while stocks last'.....def a gimmick to get people into shop.

OP, your first mistake was not to buy that tv when you first saw it. These items are usually in short supply by the time they are classified as Clearance. As the advert says "when they're gone, they're gone". Suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If it's the KDL32W653 currently on offer for €399.99 then you're not getting it for virtually half price.
    While it may have been on sale at one stage at €799.99 the small print says it was previously selling at €449.99 which is only €50 less than another larger retailer is currently selling at, so nowhere near the €400 saving you might think you got.

Even if this wasn't the model you were looking at, the same principle applies - ignore the sales speil and check what others are selling at to gauge the true discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well, using either their instore machines or their online stock checker, you could have seen for yourself exactly how many were in stock in that shop on Thursday, if low stock would have helped your decision making. It's not like other shops where you have no idea how many they have - Argos make it very easy for you to find out. I don't think it's reasonable for staff members to know the stock levels of every product, and you obviously didn't ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

OP How exactly is it false advertising? Argos are a huge retailer and would not advertise stock they did not have. They would of had stock at the time of first posting the offer.

I think this is a case of you missing your chance of your discount and are now mad at argos over your own humming and hawing. Move on and worry about real problems.

If it is indeed the TV mentioned in this thread you can see it is actually available in some stores and just because the store you are using sold out does not mean it is false advertising. See for yourself: http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=915%2F8805 (At the time I viewed it: http://puu.sh/4NULS.png)

Also op, if it was not available the sales assistant would not have likely went through the ins and outs of the offer.

This is all because of your own indecision OP.

Also I don't think one sales assistant going red in the face when being confronted by (going by your post) belligerent customer is in any way proof of false advertising.

EDIT// There is also one in stock in castlebar. Too bad you are asleep or you could of reserved it. Most likely a reservation that someone else did not pick up.

Tbh I wasn't 'belligerent ' in anyway,am a laid back calm person who has had far bigger problems in life,just said to sales assistant 'in fairness that is kinda false advertising'......on the snooze or lose comments,we aren't all made of money and had to check with better half about the possible purchase,and surely an efficient salesperson would have checked the stocks,I had asked her on the Thursday if they had sold many TVs in that offer and she said no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It wasn't a false offer - you were too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Tbh I wasn't 'belligerent ' in anyway,am a laid back calm person who has had far bigger problems in life,just said to sales assistant 'in fairness that is kinda false advertising'......on the snooze or lose comments,we aren't all made of money and had to check with better half about the possible purchase,and surely an efficient salesperson would have checked the stocks,I had asked her on the Thursday if they had sold many TVs in that offer and she said no.

You asked her had they sold many tvs in the offer, that is not asking did they have many in stock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Often, the items on sale or in a price reduction are clearance offers, with the item unlikely to come back into stock.
    I've seen it quite a bit.
    Again, first come first served.
    The shop isn't obliged to have a set number in stock.
    Its not advantageous to have a customer find something out of stock, with the kind of locations of Argos stores there are normally other shops in the vicinity who can sell the same product, and the disappointed will just go there instead.
    It's only false advertising if the item isn't as described in the ad, so it's a different model, wrong features, more expensive etc.
    Argos were not guilty of this as you never were in a position to enter into a contract with them, with you as the customer and they the vendor.
    Our rather you could have, but hesitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happened to me with a baby monitor in Argos, but on the delivery day I checked stock and the monitor came in a it was on offer at half price for a further 2 days. I snapped it up as soon as I saw it was back in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You'd get a better TV, cheaper online, why is ya moaning. Sales are complete and utter rubbish just designed to make people think it's a good deal.

I love this Bruno Gianelli quote:

BRUNO: "The same way P.T. Barnum sold a truckload of white salmon.

BRUNO: By sticking labels on them that said "Guaranteed not to go pink in the
    can."

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Often, the items on sale or in a price reduction are clearance offers, with the item unlikely to come back into stock.
    I've seen it quite a bit.
    Again, first come first served.
    The shop isn't obliged to have a set number in stock.
    Its not advantageous to have a customer find something out of stock, with the kind of locations of Argos stores there are normally other shops in the vicinity who can sell the same product, and the disappointed will just go there instead.
    It's only false advertising if the item isn't as described in the ad, so it's a different model, wrong features, more expensive etc.
    Argos were not guilty of this as you never were in a position to enter into a contract with them, with you as the customer and they the vendor.
    Our rather you could have, but hesitated.

Ya I fully accept that I should have checked if they had them in stock and how many.....but have a strong feeling that they were well out of stock and offer sign should have been taken down long ago.....that's why I titled the post ~FALSE OFFER,as when I checked this am the TV was out of stock nationwide......now unless they literally only had one on offer in each store nationwide it's quite unlikely that since thurs eve they would 'sell out' nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ya I fully accept that I should have checked if they had them in stock and how many.....but have a strong feeling that they were well out of stock and offer sign should have been taken down long ago.....that's why I titled the post ~FALSE OFFER,as when I checked this am the TV was out of stock nationwide......now unless they literally only had one on offer in each store nationwide it's quite unlikely that since thurs eve they would 'sell out' nationwide.

Your feeling holds no water. It is no basis for an assertion that this was a false offer or underhand in any way.
    Of course it's likely they were sold out this morning!
    You blew it, you failed to check and you missed the offer. No foul on the part of Argos.

Did you ignore my post that showed one in stock in castlebar? Tv is not out of stock nationwide by the way. http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=915%2F8805

Limericks wrote: »
    Did you ignore my post that showed one in stock in castlebar? Tv is not out of stock nationwide by the way. http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=915%2F8805

Not the same item

Not the same item

Can you post the item then

• Advertisement

Limericks wrote: »
    Can you post the item then
    Haven't code on me but it was 42' Sony TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9159079/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+42.htm

This Sony 42inch at less than half price, is available in all 4 stores I checked at random,

They did. They might have only had 5 throughout the country but they were in stock somewhere at some point. Good chance that the staff got hold of them first. How do I know this? Former employee for two years. Whenever a good offer like this was coming up I used to jump at it before the customers did. Why? Because I could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Never ceases to bemuse me how some people are totally unwilling to accept that something is their own fault.

"False offer", :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Not much use to the OP now, but worth thinking about for the future. If you still need to deliberate on an Argos offer (or must check with someone else) it's a useful strategy to reserve your bargain as soon as you see it - this will give you until closing time the following day to decide. Since you're out nothing and can let the reservation lapse, why not? You will also find out how many are in stock at that particular time and it will give options for other stores with availability (speaking for NI Argos, which I use most often and not sure if it's exactly the same in ROI?).
    Never had a problem with Argos that wasn't sorted quickly and courteously and would very much doubt that they did anything underhand here. And no, I don't work for them ...

Advertisement