Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would it take to walk from one side of Dublin to the other?

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a rough idea or a good estimation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

5 and a half hours to walk from West to east and 12 to walk north to south I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

From where to where? Dublins a big place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

From where to where? Dublins a big place

To be honest i don't really know Dublin so I'm not sure where exactly. I have looked at a map of the city but i cannot pin point exactly where the city boundaries stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

5 and a half hours to walk from West to east and 12 to walk north to south I reckon.

I think north to south is light but west to east could be right

Assuming we are talking maximums of course

. I'm sure there is a point in killiney/Bray where it'll only take a few mins to go from west to east

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

The boundaries and many other features are shown on google maps.

Use the get directions tool, select walking as the mode, select start point, end point, modify route as desired. It will provide the distance and approximate time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

ultrasonic wrote: »
    The boundaries and many other features are shown on google maps.

Use the get directions tool, select walking as the mode, select start point, end point, modify route as desired. It will provide the distance and approximate time.

I didnt know of them tools, thanks alot. According to it North to South is 4 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    I didnt know of them tools, thanks alot. According to it North to South is 4 hours.

Not a hope. Unless you're flash or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Where would the city boundaries be anyways ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

14 minutes a mile, so its all depends where you start and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Or you could say, less than a minute to cross O'Connell Bridge in either direction :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How fast do you walk, tom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭dobman88

Used to walk from Heuston to Connolly (and vice versa) if I was ahead of time instead of getting the Luas and hanging around bored. Would take about 30-40 mins at a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

its a bit of a vauge statement really.

Do you mean Dublin City boundary or Dublin urban area ( continuous housing)
    I think the distance east to west from Dalkey, travelling all the way over to the west end of Tallaght is approx 15 miles as the crow flies - all constant housing. to walk that would probably take 6 hours or so.

walking from the north west corner of blanchardstown all the way across the city diagonally down to killiney/bray is probably even further than that! Its still technically county Dublin until you hit bray and again its constant housing all the way there.

but Dublin city council boundary doesn't actually extend that far. eg rathfarnham, dundrum etc aren't actually part of Dublin city, nor finglas, Blanch etc etc.

Very much depends on what you are classifying as "Dublin"

people do the dublinbay walk which I think is howth around to Dalkey. that must be pushing 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

Walk across the hapenny bridge and you will have crossed the city from North to South. Several seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

This is one of the most pointless questions I have seen. I pop over O'Connell Bidge every day - one minute. From Blanchardstown (where I live) to anywhere southside would take a while)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Balbriggan to Shankill I would say would be the standard of a North to south walk in Dublin. I'd say it would take you the guts of 10-12 hours non stop walking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

endacl wrote: »
    How fast do you walk, tom?

Sure he cruises along:o

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Where would the city boundaries be anyways ?

Dodder river is the south boundry of the city limits, big signpost in Milltown announcing that.

From there it is 10 mins on Luas to stephens green then a 10 min walk to the liffey. Refuse to go any further myself

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i walk from canal to canal in regular enough basis and it takes maybe an hour/hour and a half depnding

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Scrag wrote: »
    Walk across the hapenny bridge and you will have crossed the city from North to South. Several seconds

Haha by that logic the Millenium bridge would be even quicker as it has no steps and is much flatter than the Ha'penny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Balbriggan to Shankill I would say would be the standard of a North to south walk in Dublin. I'd say it would take you the guts of 10-12 hours non stop walking

AFAIK the Dublin border stretches from the Delvin river south of Gormanston to the Dargle river in Bray (avoiding motorways it's nearly 59km on the aa routeplanner)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

59km as the crow flies?

Depends on what you term as Dublin...Dublin City or County

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

ultrasonic wrote: »
    It will provide the distance and approximate time.

O'Connell Bridge to Balbriggan - 6.5 hours hmmm maybe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

dfx- wrote: »
    59km as the crow flies?

Depends on what you term as Dublin...Dublin City or County

Or indeed Dublin "Settlement" as defined by the CSO (i.e. the ever changing built-up/urban area).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 CarnagieHawl

Hmmmm. What about from Howth to Bray, along the coast, like the Dart line? Walking at around 6km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

I once cycle from Dun Laoighaire to Howth in 2 and a half hours. I was quite fit back in the day though so I don't think I could do that now!

If you were to walk that, at a reasonable and steady pace, with a minimum of breaks... I'd say 14 hours, maybe more.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I once cycle from Dun Laoighaire to Howth in 2 and a half hours. I was quite fit back in the day though so I don't think I could do that now!

If you were to walk that, at a reasonable and steady pace, with a minimum of breaks... I'd say 14 hours, maybe more.

Not even close to that long. It's roughly 25km so you're looking at something in the region of 4-5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

OK people keep mentioning Bray, did we move Bray out of Wicklow since I left Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Irish Halo wrote: »
    OK people keep mentioning Bray, did we move Bray out of Wicklow since I left Ireland?

It straddles the border but mostly in Wicklow, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough idea or a good estimation?

Probably 10 sec's, I mean that's what it takes to cross O'Connell bridge from North to South or vice versa :D

Advertisement