Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Au Pair Advice

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi there,

We're just about to take on our first au pair to help out with our two kids (10 months and 3 years).

I'm just wondering if anyone has any nuggets of advice to offer on the topic?!

Particularly
    1. nanny cam or no?
    2. we're giving her €100 a week plus full board. she'll be doing about 25 hours a week. What extras are expected? was thinking of getting her a gym membership or helping out with her language classes? or do i just allow her to pay for those things herself and get her the occasional gift?
    3. we're giving her 3 weeks off at christmas - so we pay her for all the time she has off AND her flights home or just one or the other?

any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NiNa_20

When I came to Ireland 5 years ago as an au pair I didn't have half of what you mentioned to offer, so I think you are being quite generous. 100€ for 25 hours are absolutely fine. Maybe ask her what she would prefer - a gym membership or maybe instead a public transport card (if she won't be able to drive herself). Or maybe organize her a bike she can use. I didn't go to language school and a lot of my au pair friends who did said that they learned more while being out and about instead at class, so I think it's more important for her to be able to get around.
    Thinking of paying for the flights is VERY generous and I don't think I remember any au pair family paying for their au pairs flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there, just wondering did you go through an agency to get an au pair as I am looking for one at the moment, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 whippy

AislingMcG wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering did you go through an agency to get an au pair as I am looking for one at the moment, thanks

Hi! I'm using aupairworld.net - you pay about €40 for a six week sub. You put up your profile and potential au pairs apply. We had 60 applications in 2 days and had restricted ourselves to French/Spanish from 19-24.

Advertisement