Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house while on welfare

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Will my social welfare be affected if i buy the house ? If yes, how ? I am currently on Ras scheme. Me and my husband both unemployed. We have 7 children. Husband's brother (he doesn't live in Ireland) agreed to lend us 50 000 euro for the new house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

rasaalex wrote: »
    Will my social welfare be affected if i buy the house ? If yes, how ? I am currently on Ras scheme. Me and my husband both unemployed. We have 7 children. Husband's brother (he doesn't live in Ireland) agreed to lend us 50 000 euro for the new house.

No. But... Are you going to be able to get mortgage?

Ppr does not affect welfare. If you rent out house then it will affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Emmmmm .... How much is the house and how much after the 50k is the mortgage because a cent over not a snow balls chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

d-don wrote: »
    Emmmmm .... How much is the house and how much after the 50k is the mortgage because a cent over not a snow balls chance...

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's just bad trolling and you should feel bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

rasaalex wrote: »

If you meet with your community welfare officer he / she will personally co-sign a mortgage with you for a value up to €350,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's just bad trolling and you should feel bad.

Would make more sense for the relation to buy the house in the middle of nowhere and rent it to them free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

If you meet with your community welfare officer he / she will personally co-sign a mortgage with you for a value up to €350,000.

I wasn't trolling on the above reply etc ... So you are saying .. Well let's assume the house is €200k and they have a deposit of €50 and both un employed with 7 kids . Now logical sense days their unemployment benefit is easily consumed by the family so how on gods earth can they afford a €150 k mortgage ... Sorry for being realistic unless there is another hole in the benefit law

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I presumed OP meant the house was costing 50k or thereabouts. They would have no hope of getting a mortgage with both being unemployed so this must be the full amount of the purchase price.

Might make more sense for the brother to buy the house and let them live there, there would be a gift tax implication as it is above the threshold to be factored in as well if he gives them the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

d-don wrote: »
    I wasn't trolling on the above reply etc ... So you are saying .. Well let's assume the house is €200k and they have a deposit of €50 and both un employed with 7 kids . Now logical sense days their unemployment benefit is easily consumed by the family so how on gods earth can they afford a €150 k mortgage ... Sorry for being realistic unless there is another hole in the benefit law

Plenty of houses are available for less than 70k just search through Daft. The OP never stated where she was looking and what the house price is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

phormium wrote: »
    Might make more sense for the brother to buy the house and let them live there, there would be a gift tax implication as it is above the threshold to be factored in as well if he gives them the money.
    Brother buys house and rents it to them for €1 a week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does the house cost 50k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rasaalex

The house cost 50000. And brother is giving me a loan . I'll repay him when i find a job, he does it because he is generous person. No time limits for repayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With 7 children, will you need a fourth bedroom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What about tax implications here? I don't think your in law can just give you 50k tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 purpleflower48

hi can you explain a little more re community welfare officer signing off on a mortgage of that size please? i don't understand what is involved .

With 7 children, will you need a fourth bedroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

What about tax implications here? I don't think your in law can just give you 50k tax free.

Could he not buy the house for 50k then sell it to the in-laws for .01k?

In this market, taking a 50k loss on a house is pretty good.

Hi Spank Inferno....i dont understand that....can you explain a little further please, ie...are there qualifying conditions etc for such a mortgage and in the circumstances outlined by the person who originally posted their query here? i hope i am making myself understood. lol. reply when you can thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi Spank Inferno....i dont understand that....can you explain a little further please, ie...are there qualifying conditions etc for such a mortgage and in the circumstances outlined by the person who originally posted their query here? i hope i am making myself understood. lol. reply when you can thanks. :)

He was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

welcome to the Celtic Tiger part 2 ^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hi Spank Inferno....i dont understand that....can you explain a little further please, ie...are there qualifying conditions etc for such a mortgage and in the circumstances outlined by the person who originally posted their query here? i hope i am making myself understood. lol. reply when you can thanks.

You're going to need a small goat.

Then you'll need to wait for a full moon under a spring tide.

oh! oops . lol. ok so. no worries. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

This thread must be from bizarro world. Two people, neither working and with 7 kids to support ask how they can get themselves a nice unsustainable debt.

OK guys, cop on. Cut the sarcasm and winding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Victor wrote: »
    OK guys, cop on. Cut the sarcasm and winding up.

There was I thinking the OP was the one that was winding up:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

No Pants wrote: »
    This thread must be from bizarro world. Two people, neither working and with 7 kids to support ask how they can get themselves a nice unsustainable debt.

Where is the unsustainable debt. Brother offers to lend 50k, repayment when OP can. The OP then gives up RAS thereby saving the state. There may be tax implications but as the 50k is loan only tax issue is zero interest and is this benifit taxable. Considering some people have 2.5% interest on home loans interest benifit is €1,250 a year so I don't see an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

There was I thinking the OP was the one that was winding up:confused:

Where is the windup, OP asks a simple question, if a family member gives me a loan, to purchase in full a house for €50,000, will that effect any social welfare payments. The loan is to be repaid when the OP can afford it, there is no mention of interest so I assume interest free. I for one can't see a windup. €50,000 houses even 3 bedroom exist, example http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=728915 €39,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rasaalex

Yes, he can give us 50000 for buying a family house, because he is rich and good person, seeking to help our family. And we don't need four bed house , it's too expensive . We could use sitting room as a bedroom, nothing wrong in that i think. Or is there a law that 9 person family can't live in 2 bedroom house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't see what the problem is, it's lovely to see family helping each other rather than relying on handouts from taxpayers.

I don't see why social welfare should be affected, but I'm not an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You're probably better off asking here.
    I believe some of the benefits may be means tested and living mortgage and rent free may well affect those.

But the good folks in the state benefits forum will probably know a lot better.

Advertisement