Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE 2014

• 12-10-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have some questions about the upcoming changes to the PGDE course. It has been announced that from September 2014 it will become a two year programme comprised of 120ECTs. The cost of the course will be €12650 over the two year period. Like many others, I was unfortunate not to become qualified before the 2013 deadline. I don't want to spend two years doing a course that I can complete within one year in the UK. Also, with the bursaries offered in England, the cost of the course there is almost half of that in ROI. I would absolutely press ahead with my UCAS application for the PGCE only for one major obstacle standing in my way. As the PGCE in England is just one year and is only made up of 60 ECTs, it will not be equivalent to the Irish course, therefore one cannot teach in the republic once they have gained there qualification in the UK! I don't mind working overseas for a few years but I think I will want to return home eventually and find a position in an Irish secondary school. I am wondering if the teaching council will forbid UK qualified teachers from registering and working in Ireland? I would love to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Pgall89 wrote: »
    I have some questions about the upcoming changes to the PGDE course. It has been announced that from September 2014 it will become a two year programme comprised of 120ECTs. The cost of the course will be €12650 over the two year period. Like many others, I was unfortunate not to become qualified before the 2013 deadline. I don't want to spend two years doing a course that I can complete within one year in the UK. Also, with the bursaries offered in England, the cost of the course there is almost half of that in ROI. I would absolutely press ahead with my UCAS application for the PGCE only for one major obstacle standing in my way. As the PGCE in England is just one year and is only made up of 60 ECTs, it will not be equivalent to the Irish course, therefore one cannot teach in the republic once they have gained there qualification in the UK! I don't mind working overseas for a few years but I think I will want to return home eventually and find a position in an Irish secondary school. I am wondering if the teaching council will forbid UK qualified teachers from registering and working in Ireland? I would love to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Not to be a smartie-but I dont think thoughts or opinions are what you will need here, risky business with such a large investment of time and money and dedication. The teaching council do have a reputation for being hard to contact-personally I think its over egged so you need to cut to the heart of the matter and ask them that question, and keep asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 witgirl85

As far as I am aware you will need to complete your induction year in the UK once qualified in order to make up for the credits to teach back home. As the above poster said..contact the T.C to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kniamh

I am in the process of applying for the PGCE now. I hadn't even heard of the PGCE not being accepted in Ireland. There would be no point me doing the PGCE in England so if that was the case. I definitely want to move home at some point. I'm teaching in Abu Dhabi at the moment and I know it's the career I want but if the PGCE is not being recognised then... I don't have the required Irish qualification so I can't apply for the Irish course. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 witgirl85

The PGCE is accepted in Ireland. However you need to check with the t.c what subjects you are allowed to register for. eg. business degree can teach business but not music or a language even if you completed a hdip or pgce in that subject (I have heard however people have done this but there is a lot of hoops to jump through, paperwork and the possibility of doing another hdip at home) There is a list on the t.c website. look for you college/university - then your course and you can see what you will be allowed to register for as a secondary school teacher.

Best of luck with applying for the pgce. I am applying for one to! (primary)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 S.of

Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody had any more information about the ECTS credits? I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE in the UK and really fear I won't be able to teach here if/when I come back. From what I can gather the PGCE is only worth 60 ECTS and you need 120. If you do an extra year studying in the UK (i.e. a year of Masters, as a lot of PGCE courses offer Masters credits) would you then have enough ECTS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

S.of wrote: »
    Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody had any more information about the ECTS credits? I have been offered a place on a primary PGCE in the UK and really fear I won't be able to teach here if/when I come back. From what I can gather the PGCE is only worth 60 ECTS and you need 120. If you do an extra year studying in the UK (i.e. a year of Masters, as a lot of PGCE courses offer Masters credits) would you then have enough ECTS?

Your best bet is to ring the Teaching Council. Any answers here would be mere speculation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Hi has anyone spoke to the Teaching Council recently about this? I was hassling them last January and not getting any real answers but I'm wondering if anyone might have something more up to date now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

As far as I know anyone qualified in the UK to teach in secondary schools cannot be registered to teach in Ireland.

Unlike the primary school route, it's a little bit easier to register in Ireland, once you sit the Irish examinations.

The new PME structure (comprised of 2 years) made it even more difficult for those people travelling to the UK to study as you now need an extra year to qualify to teach in Irish secondary schools.

Have you thought of Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

buckinit wrote: »
    As far as I know anyone qualified in the UK to teach in secondary schools cannot be registered to teach in Ireland.

That certainly didn't used to be the case, although I believe you had to show competency in Irish. Things may have changed, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nic94

i am in the same boat im goin to scotland to do the primary pgde and im so worried i wont be able to register here when i return, has anyone any more information on this, i have rang the teaching council several times and everytime they have said they dont know yet! any help would be appreciated :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

nic94 wrote: »
    i am in the same boat im goin to scotland to do the primary pgde and im so worried i wont be able to register here when i return, has anyone any more information on this, i have rang the teaching council several times and everytime they have said they dont know yet! any help would be appreciated :/

This is for primary school teaching? If so, yes you can teach in Ireland but you must sit the Irish exams before being registered. The teaching council should provide more information on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I would just like to know if there is anyone who has returned to Ireland from the UK with a secondary PGCE (11 to 18) since last year? I am currently doing my PGCE in England and have the option to progress to a MEd next year. As far as I know, this MEd is worth 90 ECTS but the TC stipulates you need 120 ECTS in your teacher education qualification (i.e. equivalent of Professional Masters in Education). Has anybody already crossed this bridge with the TC? "Shortfalls" in my experience are usually addressed by one paying more money.

Advertisement