Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway hooker craft beer

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Do anybody know if any place in town stocks galway hooker pale ale?cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I've got it in Superquinn before.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

A good few off licences stock it

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

skinnyboy wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Do anybody know if any place in town stocks galway hooker pale ale?cheers

Ferrybank and The Glen off licences both have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

If your looking for galway hooker and craft beer tom stocks an impressive amount in Philly Grimes bar in Johnstown. Just opposite tk Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

Cheers for your replys,should have no bother getting it so and giving it a try :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

skinnyboy wrote: »
    Cheers for your replys,should have no bother getting it so and giving it a try :)

Try Full Sail from Galway Bay Brewing Co ---- really tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just on the topic of craft beers, I sometimes get a selection of them from World Wide Wines. Had McGrath's No. 5 Irish Blonde Ale (link) for the first time last night and I was very impressed. Would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think World Wide Wines have it. They certainly have a savage selection. I had Guinness Foreign Extra from there last night. I wouldn't be a fan of the black stuff at all - certainly not the way it comes chilled and creamy in pubs. This stuff was slightly fizzier and sweeter, and about twice as strong. Very nice indeed! :D

fricatus wrote: »
    I think World Wide Wines have it. They certainly have a savage selection. I had Guinness Foreign Extra from there last night. I wouldn't be a fan of the black stuff at all - certainly not the way it comes chilled and creamy in pubs. This stuff was slightly fizzier and sweeter, and about twice as strong. Very nice indeed! :D

Dungarvan do a beautiful stout as do kildare brewing company dark arts porter its called

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

dzilla wrote: »
    Dungarvan do a beautiful stout as do kildare brewing company dark arts porter its called

Great to see people talking about real beer on here. even better that its Irish beer. Anyway, since we are on the subject would like to endorse Philly Grimes as well, barman really knows his quality beer, has 2 metalman taps and dungarvan.
    Lads in world wide wines know their stuff too.

Since we are putting question up, anyone know a White Gypsy seller in Waterford? off licence preferably as the nights out are rare enough unfortunately .I know it comes in 750ml bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Oscars also have Galway Hooker so im guessing Revolution would as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Max Powers wrote: »
    Great to see people talking about real beer on here. even better that its Irish beer. Anyway, since we are on the subject would like to endorse Philly Grimes as well, barman really knows his quality beer, has 2 metalman taps and dungarvan.

Since we are putting question up, anyone know a White Gypsy seller in Waterford? off licence preferably as the nights out are rare enough unfortunately .I know it comes in 750ml bottles

I haven't seen White Gypsy around actually. If they're not in World Wide Wines, I can't think where it would be but I don't recall seeing them there.

EDIT:
    A quick check of their website suggest there are no stockists in Waterford.

Link

Closest seems to be Cahir and not in an off license there either. A Waterford Forum trip up to Templemore, I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Best selections of ales and craft beers is the Carry Out in a Ferrybank. An amazing collection and choice

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

World wide wines is where i got a good selection of craft beers,unfortuinatly he was out of galway hooker,but tried a couple of others..brew dog was recomended to me and also tried dungarvan pale ale.a whole diffrent drinking experience than your normal stuff heineken buds etc..got good advice of the owner i think it was in world wide wines and also gave me a taste of some there and then which was a nice touch..i will be tasting a few more from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

O'Haras Pale Ale is good too. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of either Dungarvan or Metalman, they just don't cut it for me to qualify as a very good ale. Obviously that's just my opinion and I've met plenty of people who love the stuff. Metalman isn't far off but still needs a bit of tweaking with their hop usage. My favourite ale at the moment is an American one called Sierra Nevada. It's top notch.

Not according to their website unfortunately

http://www.whitegypsy.ie/stockists.php

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

thomasm wrote: »
    Best selections of ales and craft beers is the Carry Out in a Ferrybank. An amazing collection and choice

+1 to both these posts. Phil Grimes has the best selection of craft beers in any pub in Waterford and Carry Out in Ferrybank the best off licence range.

Hats off to Tom in Grimes' and Ashley in the Carry Out for stocking such a great range

Advertisement