Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets in Dublin

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Are the ones in Dublin similar to the ones on the continent? Do you get handmade christmas decorations, mulled wine, street food (bratwurst, chestnuts, etc.). What other types of stalls are there.

Is it just one at the IFSC or are other ones around the city?

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The ifsc one is over priced and not that good. OP you are nearly better getting a cheap flight to Germany and experience a proper Christmas market one in your life.

I went to the cologne ones a few years and it was incredible( nearly every town has one). The food and drink. But you can nearly get all the food in lidl now. And it's still pretty good in lidl. Their marzipan is amazing and their biscuits and stollen are good too. The only thing you would miss our the decorations. But even in markets in Germany. They are ridiculously expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

The biggest one is the one in Smithfield square. I think its there for about a week but is worth checking out.

There will be smaller ones all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Smithfield Square? Do you mean Smithfield Market? Been living here three years and have never seen one.

The IFSC one is a very sad affair and does really not compare to the ones on the continent. No mulled wine for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

bigar wrote: »
    Smithfield Square? Do you mean Smithfield Market? Been living here three years and have never seen one.

Me neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

There is an excellent one in Belfast around City hall or at least there was last year. I've never been to one in Europe so I don't know how it compares but I was impressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Thanks all. Been to a few in Europe over the years so was just wondering how the ones in Ireland compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

The ones in Ireland can't really compare to the fantastic German ones, not least because the Gluwein and Bratwurst are three times the price here.

The best one in Ireland was definitely Belfast, Galway and Dublin just don't measure up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

bigar wrote: »

The IFSC one is a very sad affair and does really not compare to the ones on the continent. No mulled wine for one.

I agree that the IFSC one is poor but it always has mulled wine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The IFSC market is so disappointing. I have heard from some friends that the market in Manchester is very good if you can't afford to travel to Germany.

My mother goes to the market in Vienna every December and loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Lux23 wrote: »
    Me neither?

Its only on for 3 or 4 days. Part of the Dublin flea market. over 100 stalls though and runs into Block T in Haymarket

http://dublinflea.blogspot.co.uk/

review from the one 2 years ago with a bit more info on the event..
    http://www.yelp.ie/events/dublin-dublin-flea-and-block-ts-giant-christmas-market-christmas-cracker-2011

On another Market related note, it will be good to see the Artisan market coming to Smithfield fruit and veg market. DCC are doing works on upgrading it starting early next year I think and then it should open towards the end of next year. fruit and veg bit still operational of course.
    I would think the guy that has taken over CHQ in the docklands will also have a regular big market in that building over the next 12 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

One in Belfast is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

The one in the IFSC used to make for a nice stroll but it changed owners a few years back and instantly went downhill.

The one in Block T is my favourite market of the year by a long shot, but I don't think it's what the OP is looking for. It's more a giant flea/craft market that happens to take place near Christmas.

I've heard good reports from Belfast too, It certainly looks beautiful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Should be one in Dun Laoghaire this year too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is the IFSC one the same as the Point Village one?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is the IFSC one the same as the Point Village one?

If it is, I wouldn't bother, few food stalls, amusements and ice rink, not very exciting. A guy asked one of the workers where the market was, not realising he was at it :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Went to the one in Dublin Castle yesterday as I'd seen it on their website.
    5 stalls is all that was there, 5 measley stalls and one was just a coffee stand. Should have gone to Farmleigh as I heard it was brilliant but don't know how long it's on for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

dan1895 wrote: »
    Went to the one in Dublin Castle yesterday as I'd seen it on their website.
    5 stalls is all that was there, 5 measley stalls and one was just a coffee stand. Should have gone to Farmleigh as I heard it was brilliant but don't know how long it's on for.

Farmleigh one is on both weekend days this weekend (14th/15th) and the following (21st/22nd). Other years it's just been the same as the regular food market but with tinsel. Although they seem to have other stuff on this year too.... http://www.farmleigh.ie/events/Title,25285,en.html

Advertisement