Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP camera for UPC broadband?

• 12-10-2013 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help by advising what IP camera is most likely to work with UPC broadband in the South Dublin area. The supplied modem/router is the TC7200U.

Some of the threads here seem to indicate that UPC doesn't cooperate too well with IP cameras because of not having a static IP, and there's also been some discussion of some cameras not working without WPS, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this modem and provider and might be able to recommend one that had worked for them?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

Nobody had any experience with IP cameras and UPC then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

lm01 wrote: »
    Nobody had any experience with IP cameras and UPC then?

I have but I don't remember the details as it was too easy...

Just get a no-ip address that will work, no idea what WPS is tho

bealtine wrote: »
    I have but I don't remember the details as it was too easy...

Just get a no-ip address that will work, no idea what WPS is tho

Do remember which brand/model of camera you used? Am looking to buy one that will set up nice and handy, so if yours was easy, it sounds like one to look into!

Thanks.

Do remember which brand/model of camera you used? Am looking to buy one that will set up nice and handy, so if yours was easy, it sounds like one to look into!

Thanks.

Not a clue it was a professional setup is all I remember...I was just called in to help setup the IP passthrough. It took all of 5 minutes to do...

Not a clue it was a professional setup is all I remember...I was just called in to help setup the IP passthrough. It took all of 5 minutes to do...

Did you just get a static IP from one of the websites offering those?

• Advertisement

Did you just get a static IP from one of the websites offering those?

No...

like I said earlier I used a no ip type service, it was dyndns back when it was free

No...

like I said earlier I used a no ip type service, it was dyndns back when it was free

Sorry, my mistake: I thought they were the same thing!

What is a no ip service?

What is a no ip service?

Umm it's a DNS service that allows you to associate a name (given out by the service) with an IP so you can always refer to the IP by name, very handy...so blogcamera.servicename.xxx (for instance) will always get you to the camera IP. It's a replacement for a static IP

Umm it's a DNS service that allows you to associate a name (given out by the service) with an IP so you can always refer to the IP by name, very handy...so blogcamera.servicename.xxx (for instance) will always get you to the camera IP. It's a replacement for a static IP

That would be even better, but I'm guessing from your post that this isn't available free now? I could probably make do with a static IP if necessary...

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

That would be even better, but I'm guessing from your post that this isn't available free now? I could probably make do with a static IP if necessary...

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Some are still free no-ip.com for instance is still free but a bit annoying, I'm not sure if UPC give out static IPs anyway (possibly on a business package)

• Advertisement

They don't on a personal one... Do you need a static IP to use the no-IP service?

They don't on a personal one... Do you need a static IP to use the no-IP service?

No...we are going round in circles here...

A no-ip service is a way to refer to any IP by name, the name will always refer to the changing IP. This is one of the functions of DNS.

Usually you give the DVR an IP which is accessible from the outside of the router, most good DVRs have a No-ip or similar service built in which will do the updating for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The whole point of the service is that you dont need a static IP ^^. If this is catching you the setup probably will too tbh, hire somebody to fit them for you.

Also, with no-ip you have to logon to their site monthly and click a few things to stop the name expiring. Basically its an incentive to pay a few $ a month for the service. It also requires a windows or Mac PC be on on site most of the time to keep the IP record updated, so if the cameras were to be standalone that'd be another box you'd need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

lm01. The sole reason for these no ip [and dyndns] services is that you DON;T have a static IP.

Really, get any IP Camera. Try any of these. Personally, I have four cameras at home but they are actually Android phones. I also have tinyCam Monitor PRO installed on my tablet so I can view all four cameras at the same time. It actually supports up to 16 cameras at a time. You will also have to recombobulate your firewall to give a port per camera so that DynDNS can punch through.

On a side note, DynDNS is still free but it requires you to login every 30 days to maintain the account. They send you an email towards that time with a link to assist the process.

I understand the static IP/no IP issue now. Cheers, guys.

I'm really just looking for something that:

1. I can set up on motion-activate and which will email me if there's any activity, and
    2. Which hopefully could be accessed easily by iPhone.

Any particular recommendations?

Try some of these. iPhone software should be independent of camera.

RangeR wrote: »
    Try some of these. iPhone software should be independent of camera.

I did have a bit of a scan through those, but a lot of the descriptions weren't really clear on whether or not there was an alert for motion as opposed to just taking a picture and doing nothing with it!

This one seems to do email notification, though, and I know that manufacturer do an iPhone app to let you access the camera, so I might give it a go.

Thanks, guys!

If a camera supports motion detection, it WILL give you the option to upload the image/video to a server OR email it to you etc.

General rule of thumb. Don't go cheap. Don't go expensive. Find something middle of the price range and you shouldn't go wrong. Expect to pay somewhere in the region of €80 to €150.

If you can stretch to it, try get a P TZ [Pan Tilt Zoom] cam. You won't know yourself when you connect via iPhone. Night vision would be a plus too.

RangeR wrote: »
    If a camera supports motion detection, it WILL give you the option to upload the image/video to a server OR email it to you etc.

General rule of thumb. Don't go cheap. Don't go expensive. Find something middle of the price range and you shouldn't go wrong. Expect to pay somewhere in the region of €80 to €150.

If you can stretch to it, try get a P TZ [Pan Tilt Zoom] cam. You won't know yourself when you connect via iPhone. Night vision would be a plus too.

Cheers for the advice, man. The one I linked to seems to be able to do all of that, so I'm going to look into getting one of those, I think.

Thanks very much for your help, it was just what I was looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I have 2 Foscam's on UPC ,
    The Link is a great camera and the IR Cut is important for quality image ,
    I have 2 and have been monitoring the front and back of an elderly relatives home and pickup every visitor and emails a set of 6 photos , Live access is also very easy from any browser and many iphone/android apps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foscam-FI8910W-Wireless-Network-Camera/dp/B006ZP8UOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382119447&sr=8-2&keywords=ip+camera+motion+wpa2+iphone

• Advertisement

galait wrote: »
    I have 2 Foscam's on UPC ,
    The Link is a great camera and the IR Cut is important for quality image ,
    I have 2 and have been monitoring the front and back of an elderly relatives home and pickup every visitor and emails a set of 6 photos , Live access is also very easy from any browser and many iphone/android apps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foscam-FI8910W-Wireless-Network-Camera/dp/B006ZP8UOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382119447&sr=8-2&keywords=ip+camera+motion+wpa2+iphone

That's the one I was eyeing! Thanks so much, glad to know someone else has been able to get it working. That sounds like exactly the job I want it for. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

Hope you got fixed up -- I use U9C broadband -- Dublin Northside-- 2 ip cameras--Y-CAM and an Axis. Also a recorder called a Synology
    Disk Station. You already have an IP Address at every place there is a Broadband connection. Its not static and from time to time [ once a year ] it can change -- but to get your current one or any new one that is allocated jUst GOOGLE WHATS MY IP ........it will come up on your computer....they will look like this 47.654.23.19 - The numbers for your home will be different but they will be in a sequence of 4 with a DOT. between them. You can get a Static IP address by subscribing to a provider. I dont bother. When I find my cameras have gone down, its the first thing I check. Then just bung in the new address and off I go.
    I have no technical or computer training....total idiot in that regard. All I have is patience. LOTS....buy a good camera ...I think Y CAM ArE good...only have one and its working for 3 years+. Axis is more high end and a bit beyond me, but its working ok none the less. Miracle. Giz a message if you need to know anything....I may or may not be able to help.
    K.
    9 REPLACES P

Advertisement