Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Female Doctor...Who?

Options
  • 12-10-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

Had an interesting thought. During all the hype about the next Doctor, there were a few voices crying for the first female incarnation. But I can't remember anyone actually throwing names out there. So, for a larf, who do you like for it? What sort of age/style/attitude do you think would be needed for it to work. Personally, I think plenty of wit, class, classy looks, smarts, about mid 30s - mid 40s and yes, she'd have to be a bit tall (numbers? maybe 5ft 8, 5ft 9?) are the keystones, so if (when?) it happens I would like to see one of the following :

Olivia Williams (Dollhouse, Ghost) - Ticks all boxes
    Lena Headley (300, Game of Thrones) - Yes!
    Heather Pearce (Ultimate Force, Waterloo Road) - Actually wants it, google a BBC news interview she did.
    Hayley Atwell (Captain America) - Too young maybe? Still think she'd ace it.

Outsiders and the reasons why not:

Michelle Forbes (True Blood, Star Trek: TNG) - American
    Kate Beckinsale - Too famous
    Any Spice girl - Reason is in the name.

Your thoughts and views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nothing saying it can't be an older actress and for me, it'd have to be Dame Judi Dench since she's amazing in absolutely everything she's ever done and definitely has the screen presence and wit for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you're going that generation then Glenn Close is pure class.
    Summer Glau - but mainly because she's gorgeous.
    Alex Kingston would be legend as the Doctor. It would confuse the hell out of people if she ever met herself though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

This started out as a joke from John Nathan-Turner and frankly it should have have stayed at that.

If Who was to get away from the norm then the Doctor could be say, the superb actor who played Doctor Moon in Silence in the Library but you may as well cast a woman as James Bond. Create another franchise with River Song or Romana but not this nonsense.

It's just a laugh :confused:

I'd nearly pick an older woman too. Someone with a bit of gravity but also humour and wit
    judi dench would be awesome all right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

Pleather polyurethane pride parade platform pump shoe daleks were stupider and far more braindead-daft than a female Doctor.

Once the concept of multiple reincarnation moments gets introduced and you mix ages and genotypes then "the horse has bolted from the barn" and "the ship has sailed" regarding qualms about gender in a regen(der)ation.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

My list:

We have had the twink-bot with 'timey-wimey'. Only fair to have Jane Lynch be the Female Butch counterpart.

Helen Mirren

Toni Collette

Rachel Griffiths

Joanna Lumley

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    My list:

We have had the twink-bot with 'timey-wimey'. Only fair to have Jane Lynch be the Female Butch counterpart.

Helen Mirren

Joanna Lumley

I kind of like the idea of Joanna Lumley. She'd be extremely easy to listen to!

Ruth Wilson is my no.1 choice.

Fantastic in Luther and has that, "is she mental?" attitude about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dame Maggie Smith.

I don't know why, but I can see her in the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench are all great ideas....but no way would any of them take the pay cut.
    Helena Bonham Carter is just about weird enough to try it (and be good in the part). Good chance of getting Tim Burton to direct some episodes then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Helena Bonham Carter is just about weird enough to try it (and be good in the part). Good chance of getting Tim Burton to direct some episodes then too.

That sounds awesome. And Johnny Depp could be the companion.

/Vomits

Tim Burton directing his wife and their third wheel, do we *really* need another Johnny Depp being "zany" while Helena Bonham Carter does pretty but insane in goth-wankfest colours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Well if we must have a female doctor, and I'm sure it'll happen at some point, then we could do a lot worse. I've always enjoyed her in movies, and I think her dark, strange, eccentric style would suit the doctor quite well. Having said that, I'm in no great rush to see a female doctor anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

She's already played the TARDIS, so I say get Suranne Jones back to play the Doctor. :D

Failing that, I think Tamsin Greig could be good in the role too. Admittedly, I've only seen her in comedies, but I think she would be able to handle more dramatic stuff as well. I know she's been in a previous episode, but that didn't stop them casting Capaldi, and his previous role was much more substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sleepy wrote: »
    /Vomits

Tim Burton directing his wife and their third wheel, do we *really* need another Johnny Depp being "zany" while Helena Bonham Carter does pretty but insane in goth-wankfest colours?

I may have been just a little bit sardonic there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sjuckz

At a stretch I could perhaps see Joanna Lumley do it, but however much I adore her, I only see her as Patsy or as a soft spoken English Lady and I'm not sure either of that is long term (1, 2 or 3 seasons) Doctor material.

You'd probably need someone somewhat unknown to give them the benefit of the doubt and not immediately link them to past characters they may have played elsewhere so they can fairly develop the Doctor character.

Truthfully, I sort of struggle with the female doctor idea... but hey, I may be swayed and change my mind if and when it actually happens...

Honestly, I hope it doesn't happen. The Doctor is one of the very few fictional male role-models that avoids violence and promotes the value of thinking.

In a world where most kids are being raised to look up to pampered primadonnas that get paid obscene amounts to cheat at soccer I think we need to keep our positive male role models wherever we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sleepy wrote: »
    Honestly, I hope it doesn't happen. The Doctor is one of the very few fictional male role-models that avoids violence and promotes the value of thinking.

In a world where most kids are being raised to look up to pampered primadonnas that get paid obscene amounts to cheat at soccer I think we need to keep our positive male role models wherever we can.

Avoids violence??

I'm sure the Daleks, cybermen, sontarins, etc would disagree!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Avoids violence??

I'm sure the Daleks, cybermen, sontarins, etc would disagree!!

It would be rare to see the Doctor attack any of them without trying to reason first. Perhaps the Daleks and the Cybermen, but it's not like he's not tried reason multiple times.

Even then, he rarely picks up a gun and literally uses violence against them, he tries to outsmart them, and often use their own weaknesses against them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement