Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humans worring cattle

• 12-10-2013 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

Dogs worrying livestock is the only one from the top of my head.

Rylands, yeah, but rylands is not a tort in itself.
    Just been reading another thread in which the above quote comes.

Recently, I saw a group of teenagers (who were waiting for their school bus to take them home) amuse themselves by jumping over a wall and chasing cattle in a field.

I was really disgusted by their attitude, not to mention their foul language. I was thinking of going to the school principle about it, but having seen the above quote, I was wondering if there was a legal implication in their actions, i.e. is their a law for humans as well as dogs chasing cattle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The dog or flood waters can't be meaningfully punished or give the victim any recompense, humans can. Teenagers worrying cattle is a direct nuisance / tort, not something independent of them.

Complaint to school, Garda, ISPCC or parents would be appropriate, if nothing else for their own safety if there is a bull in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

In the other thread, the worrying of livestock as a strict liability tort only applies to dogs.

That's because shooting the dog may be a legitimate remedy where the dog is, or is inevitably about to, worry a farmer's livestock. Therefore, it is a strict liability tort.

Needless to say no comparable remedy applies here !

Cruelty to animals by humans is prohibited under S.12 of the Animal Health & Welfare Act 2013 and would be a matter for Gardaí.

Advertisement