Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Met Office hits back at winter tabloid nonsense, Madden etc.

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Winter Forecasting – Responding to the headlines

Once again it is the season for speculation and big headlines regarding what the weather will do over the winter period. The front page of the Daily Express today claims: ‘Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November’.

We saw similar headlines last year and instead winter 12/13 ended up being only the 43rd coldest on record with an average temperature of 3.3C and flooding until the turn of the year.

What the Daily Express has failed to explain to it’s readers is that there is absolutely no certainty about what weather the UK will see over the winter period. The science simply does not exist to make detailed, long-term forecasts for temperature and snowfall even for the end of November, let alone for the winter period, which does not officially start until 1 December.

While we have seen a return to more normal, cooler temperatures for this time of year, this is no indication of what we can expect over the next four months with regards to temperatures and when we might see snow. It is far too early to tell.

Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and it is perfectly possible that we will see the whole range of weather that we get in winter at some point over the coming months, including snow and freezing temperatures, but also heavy rain, windy weather and mild conditions too.

Our five day forecasts and warnings will provide you with the best possible guidance on any periods of cold weather, frost or the likelihood of snow, giving detailed local information across the UK to help you make the most of the weather over the coming months.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/winter-forecasting-responding-to-the-headlines/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last night the BBC radio 4 midnight news as usual went through the front pages and I allowed myself a smile as they read out the Express's end of the world headlines.

Winter and Princess Diana are the two things that paper relies upon to stay in business.

Jonathan Powell should be locked inside a commercial freezer for the winter.

http://www.monbiot.com/2012/06/15/storm-warning/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Phew im off to the Shetlands for work in November so im glad to see this being dismissed as bull..btw what kind of weather can i expect to come across up there over the winter? and is it true the northern lights can be seen from there sometimes any info would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Simon Keeling had a bit of a rant about it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Seen something on fb about a harsh winter. Lol pure speculation at this early stage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

amazed how that paper has been getting away with predicting the annual -20C snowplough winters and 40C cracked soil summers since before I was born, just prints the same bogroll each and every year as well as day! It almost seems the more average our winters and summer become, the more extreme the garbage in those tabloids become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

How are the papers allowed get away with it though? I know there is some code of conduct for Journalists etc which is rarely adhered to and that all they care about about is the story and not the actual facts but is there not somebody they can be reported to? I suppose if there was they wouldn't be doing it as much. Its just really annoying. Whenever the papers get something seriously wrong they come out with the usual tripe "its important we have a period of reflection here and don't do anything too rash", ie : lets wait till we have our next flavour of the month and then sweep it under the carpet then and don't do anything:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some of the media hype across the pond is really starting to wind me up now, the amount of people asking me if I've heard it's going to be a really cold winter with loads of snow.

I mean how can people honestly believe anything beyond 2 weeks is even worth talking about never mind 2 months and certain media outlets should know better.

e.g. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

• Advertisement
Advertisement