Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€650 a month for a bed and a couch

Options
  • 12-10-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I moved into a 2nd floor flat last month. We were dealing with an estate agents who gave us a copy of our contract and the keys etc. We were also given the landlord's phone number and a direct debit was set up for the 2nd month's rent (The first month and deposit were paid in cash to the estate agent). The 2nd night we were there I turned on the oven to make dinner and after 20 minutes the preheat light was still on. The oven was ridiculously hot though but the preheat said it was only at 90 degrees. The thermostat is obviously gone in it and it's impossible to cook anything without having it burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.

The microwave is also broken. I ran it for 10 minutes with half a glass of water which came out cold.

The door seperating the freezer compartment from the fridge is broken so it's too cold to refrigerate stuff and too warm to freeze stuff.

I did a few small things myself - none of the bulbs in the place were working so I replaced them, the front door could be pushed open with practically no effort as the doorframe was split and the receiver for the lock was practically hanging off, I fixed that - I also had to attach a draft barrier to the door as someone opened the outside door and left it open all night (We're the only ones who use this door so I don't know who has keys.)

I emailed the estate agents this and they said they'd pass it onto the landlord.

I waited a few days without hearing anything and then I noticed that my phone number was wrong on the contract. I emailed the agents letting them know and giving them my correct number. They replied with the landlord's number and told me to contact him.

I called him and he said he's get back to me. My girlfriend then went away for 2 weeks and I planned to sort everything out by the time she got back.

Needless to say, he never called me back and each time I called him over the next few days he either didn't answer or he was driving and had to hang up.

Eventually he told me to text him the next morning at ten and someone would be down by lunchtime.

I text him at ten that morning (my birthday) and waited until six in the evening for somebody to show up, before giving up and going out.

My girlfriend has since returned and tried numerous times to call him with no answer and texted him with no replies.

The people underneath us called me in last week to show me water damage from our shower coming down into their apartment. I told them I'd tried to contact the landlord and he was ignoring me.

I sent another email to the estate agents, telling them I hadn't been contacted and about the leak and I received a reply telling me that they are not employed to fix anything and to contact the landlord.

I eventually decided to remove all money from my account the day before the rent was due and when he called me, to agree to pay only when everything was fixed.
    We have been living for a month with nothing but a bed and a couch, eating soup every day.

Unfortunately, I took all the money out using an ATM from another bank and it didn't register in time.
    So now the landlord has gotten his €650 and I'm €650 overdrawn.

He is still ignoring calls from us.

Can I go out and buy an oven, a fridge, and a microwave and deduct it from next month's rent?

NOTE: I have also received the landlord's house number and address from a 3rd party. Can I call up to his house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd call to his house if I were you OP. Nothing illegal about ringing someones doorbell and chatting with them. He has given you the runaround for long enough.
    If he tells you to feck off then you'll have a good idea where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

As much as I hate when tenant abuse the system, in this case your LL is shafting you.

Withold the rent going forward.

In theory you can be evicted for doing so, but the reality is as follows:

1. LL must issue a correct in every detail 14 dat notice to pay your arrears.
    2. LL must then issue a 28 day notice to terminate the tenancy.
    3. LL must then ultimately get a Court Order to get you out.

If the LL circumvents this process in any way (for example by chagning your locks) he will have illegally evicted you, and will be forced to pay you up to 10k.

This will take 9 to 18 months - I know from my experience as a LL with a scumbag tenant who wasn't paying me.

Why are you still there? Photograph everything. Get records of all phone calls, texts and emails and get the hell out of there. Let him sue you and see how far he gets. ALWAYS visit and check out property before signing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I know for getting work done you can get a few quotes for the job and send them to the LL giving him time to reply. If he doesnt reply you can just hire one of the quotes yourself and take the cost out of the rent. It may be possible to do this with essential appliances too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP can you get your bank to do a chargeback on the rent ppayment? Tell them to do this as the amount is in dispute. You should not have to pay for this dump.

Then try to find a better place and get out of that sh1thole. The LL is obviously not bothered as long as the rent goes in his account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Put issues in writing (proper letter) to the landlord, and request a time frame (again in writing) as to when you can expect the repairs to be made. If time frame is not adhered to then write one further letter, again outlining all outstanding issues, and stating that if issues are not resolved in a timely fashion then you will be terminating the tenancy due to a breach of landlord obligations, and you will expect your deposit to be returned and you will be going through the PRTB if necessary. Keep a copy of all correspondance.

Just bear in mind that, although it might be a short term fix for the issue, withholding rent is not a legal means of resolving an issue and could be seen as a black mark against you if you do need to go to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

If I go and buy appliances tomorrow and refuse the rent next month, what can he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    If I go and buy appliances tomorrow and refuse the rent next month, what can he do?

That changes the law from being on your side to being on the landlord's!

So legally there's nothing I can do to have anything done until another month at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

You have gone about the matter in a nearly correct manner. Your initial cnotact about the problems should have been in writing, and, as djimi says, you should have given a specified time frame for the issues to be remedied - a reasonable time frame would be within 14 days (i.e. please have these issues remedied within 14 days of this letter / have these issues remedied by 25th October 2013).

It is also worth while advising the landlord at the same time of options 2 and 3 below, should he fail to remedy the issues.

If the landlord has not remedied the issues within the time frame, he may be in breach of his obligations and therefore the tenant has basically 3 options (if the LL has attempted to remedy an issue but has to wait for things outside his control such as spare parts which must be ordered specially, he will have fulfilled his obligations):
    1) Live with it and keep pestering the landlord / EA for the issues to be remedied.
    2) Obtain at least 2 quotes for the repairs/replacements, accept the lowest and deduct the cost from the rent until the full cost has been recuperated.
    3) If the tenant decides he would rather vacate the property, serve the landlord with a written notice of termination with a notice period of 28 days and that you will be looking for your full deposit to be returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Horrible situation OP. This guy sounds like a complete ass. Another amateur living off the rent from his investment hovel I suppose. Try PRTB, Threshold, and your local TD for advice.

I would personally be very tempted to shaft back and wait for eviction. That would be wrong of course, but it would be very very tempting.....

We still haven't heard from him.
    Our calls aren't picked up and our texts are left unanswered.
    I've already gone to the bank and cancelled the standing order but I'm not going to wait until next month's rent day to get sorted.
    I feel bad for the family below me who have water coming into their living room every time I shower (practically every day because I'm a sweaty bastard).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

All you can really do is withhold the rent and keep at him and start asking the EA for the deposit back from them might make them take notice. If your willing to live with enjoy you free apartment for 6 months if not maybe you could ask anyone else affected to stop paying their rent ( if that family under you has the same landlord ). He'd take notice pretty quickly if his money stopped coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do the family underneath have the same landlord? If not is there anything wrong with giving them your landlords details and letting them hassle your landlord about the issues with the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    We still haven't heard from him.
    Our calls aren't picked up and our texts are left unanswered.
    I've already gone to the bank and cancelled the standing order but I'm not going to wait until next month's rent day to get sorted.
    I feel bad for the family below me who have water coming into their living room every time I shower (practically every day because I'm a sweaty bastard).

Careful.
    Now that they know you know about the shower leaking you are the one responsible for any damage done after you discovered the problem.
    Would you not give the people below you a break and not be pouring water into their living room now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Careful.
    Now that they know you know about the shower leaking you are the one responsible for any damage done after you discovered the problem.
    Would you not give the people below you a break and not be pouring water into their living room now?

:confused: how is he responsible when he cant make the repairs?
    would your solution be not to shower for the foreseeable future?

OP.. is there temporary way you cud rig a shower curtain or something so the water only goes into the shower tray?

You should ask the EA who holds the deposit them or the LL. Sounds like they were hired to let the place only not manage it so chances are they passed over the deposit to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steodonn wrote: »
    All you can really do is withhold the rent
    The tenant might not have an entitlement to do this and it may put them in a legally precarious position.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

Doop wrote: »
    :confused: how is he responsible when he cant make the repairs?
    would your solution be not to shower for the foreseeable future?

OP.. is there temporary way you cud rig a shower curtain or something so the water only goes into the shower tray?

You should ask the EA who holds the deposit them or the LL. Sounds like they were hired to let the place only not manage it so chances are they passed over the deposit to the LL.

He is knowingly causing damage by his actions. Different if he doesn't know he is causing damage, but he has shown he does know and continues to do the thing that causes the damage. Do now the damage is actually his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

He is knowingly causing damage by his actions. Different if he doesn't know he is causing damage, but he has shown he does know and continues to do the thing that causes the damage. Do now the damage is actually his fault.

What is he meant to do? Not shower? He has tried to contact his LL and no reply.

What is he meant to do? Not shower? He has tried to contact his LL and no reply.

I actually agree with Mustard; its one thing if the OP had no idea of the issue, but to be aware that the problem exists and to continue using the shower and making it worse for the neighbour is just plain badness.

If the landlord wont sort this issue and the OP has no showering facilities (which at the moment they dont) then its up to them to get the issue sorted, including moving to terminate the lease if thats whats it takes and the landlord wont sort the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

OP, do you have an address for the landlord? If the landlord is using an agent, you should, as I said in a previous post, put all your issues in writing and you may also add that as the landlord has been notified of the shower water leaking to the flat below, this is now his responsibility for any damage that this has caused.

Furthermore, as you are now unable to use the shower without further damage to the property, he (the landlord) is now in breach of his obligations as regards housing standards for rented accommodation and as he is not responding to your emergency phone calls, you have no alternative but to make a claim with the PRTB.

You should now states that this is a very serious matter and must be remedied within 5 days. Send your letter by "Express Post" which guarantees delivery without a signature by the recipient. One copy to the landlord and another to the agent.

The PRTB take a very dim view of landlords who do not respond / answer the contact for emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

djimi wrote: »
    I actually agree with Mustard; its one thing if the OP had no idea of the issue, but to be aware that the problem exists and to continue using the shower and making it worse for the neighbour is just plain badness.

If the landlord wont sort this issue and the OP has no showering facilities (which at the moment they dont) then its up to them to get the issue sorted, including moving to terminate the lease if thats whats it takes and the landlord wont sort the issue.

To terminate a lease takes a certain number of notice days. Is the OP supposed to not shower for the duration of their notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

To terminate a lease takes a certain number of notice days. Is the OP supposed to not shower for the duration of their notice?

You can't piss water down on someone else knowingly. If he can't shower there, then he showers elsewhere. Work, friends house, gym etc. consider the shower out of order.

So you think its okay for the OP to continue causing further damage to their neighbours property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What would you do in the situation djimi? Stop showering? Not trying to be snarky genuinely curious, its a tricky situation.

What would you do in the situation djimi? Stop showering? Not trying to be snarky genuinely curious, its a tricky situation.

Id go home to my parents to shower. Or Id find somewhere else to take a shower (friend/gym/club etc). What I wouldnt do is continue to use the shower at home, knowing that was it was causing futher damage to my neighbours property.

The shower is out of order for the OP; the fact that it still operates is neither here nor there. If your toilet overflowed every time you flushed it would you continue to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It's already been said - shower elsewhere. If that means paying €4 into the nearest community leisure centre then so be it - keep the receipts and pursue the landlord for the money.

While you're at it, tell the landlord that the accumulated costs of showering elsewhere will be deducted from next month's rent... €8 per day (2 people at €4 per day), times 14 is €112 just like that if the LL doesn't get on top of it within 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

To be fair, the shower elsewhere advice is just deflecting the issue from a slacking LL.

What if your parents lived the other side of the country, knew no one in your area and weren't a member of a gym/sports club?

Typically Irish attitude IMO.

OP, Find a way to walk away from that lease in the cleanest manner possible.

As an aside, did you not view the place before hand a see the issue with the door, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

GavMan wrote: »
    To be fair, the shower elsewhere advice is just deflecting the issue from a slacking LL.

Well, taking out your own issue with the landlord on some unsuspecting other person, who you have no grievance with isn't going to help much either in fairness. The landlord issue is separate, and should be dealt with in the ways highlighted above.

Put in writing your complaint, register the issue with PRTB and try any and all means to get in contact. Agent, directly, calling to house, etc.

Make sure you have evidence of everything. Photographs, copy of the letter sent, keep records of phonecalls and all correspondence.

Advertisement