Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€650 a month for a bed and a couch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

GavMan wrote: »
    To be fair, the shower elsewhere advice is just deflecting the issue from a slacking LL.

What if your parents lived the other side of the country, knew no one in your area and weren't a member of a gym/sports club?

Typically Irish attitude IMO.

You seem to have missed the point that was being made. Telling the OP to shower elsewhere has nothing to do with the landlord; it is about not making the situation any worse for the neighbours, who are getting rained on from above every time they use the shower. Its got nothing to do with deflecting the issue; if anything it could be used to reinforce the issue with the landlord (if it were me and I had no other options I would have no issue with paying to get access to the local public swimming pool to use the showers, keeping the receipts, and deducting all the money spent from the rent (after warning the landlord in advance in writing of the course of action that I intended to take)).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

djimi wrote: »
    You seem to have missed the point that was being made. Telling the OP to shower elsewhere has nothing to do with the landlord; it is about not making the situation any worse for the neighbours, who are getting rained on from above every time they use the shower. Its got nothing to do with deflecting the issue; if anything it could be used to reinforce the issue with the landlord (if it were me and I had no other options I would have no issue with paying to get access to the local public swimming pool to use the showers, keeping the receipts, and deducting all the money spent from the rent (after warning the landlord in advance in writing of the course of action that I intended to take)).

And how long is the OP meant to take this course of action, days, weeks, months? Remember the OP has been unable to make contact with the LL so going by what you have advised the OP could be doing this for the rest of the tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

And how long is the OP meant to take this course of action, days, weeks, months? Remember the OP has been unable to make contact with the LL so going by what you have advised the OP could be doing this for the rest of the tenancy.

If your landlord didn't unblock your toilet and it was overflowing would you keep sh1tting in it until he fixed it. Who would you say would be to blame for the river if **** running through your house then?

If your landlord didn't unblock your toilet and it was overflowing would you keep sh1tting in it until he fixed it. Who would you say would be to blame for the river if **** running through your house then?

Same question to that. How long could the person be expected to put up with it? Days, weeks, months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Same question to that. How long could the person be expected to put up with it? Days, weeks, months?

There are ways of dealing with this, which have been outlined in this thread.

PRTB can be contacted, complaints made in writing etc, etc, etc. I hope the OP is going ahead with those. Whining on the internet and not actually completing any of the proper steps doesn't get you very far.

Soaking the neighbours is just being a dick.

• Advertisement

So if it wasn't fixed for a month would you keep ****ting in it for month then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

pwurple wrote: »
    There are ways of dealing with this, which have been outlined in this thread.

PRTB can be contacted, complaints made in writing etc, etc, etc. I hope the OP is going ahead with those. Whining on the internet and not actually completing any of the proper steps doesn't get you very far.

Soaking the neighbours is just being a dick.

As well as contacting the local authority to report rental accommodation that doesn't even have basic sanitary facilities.

Seriously, I can't believe people are saying "ah, not my problem, I told the landlord" is a good enough excuse to do serious damage to someone else's home that could run into repairs to the tune of thousands?

Seriously?

Or, you could stop showering there and find a way to make do, inform the landlord of your intentions to pay into somewhere to shower and tell the LL that you'll be deducting the cost of it from the next months rent and ALSO, if they don't have a plumber there within 24 hours, and the situation resolved within the week, you'll be terminating the lease as the LL is failing to uphold their side of the contract and will pursue the deposit through whatever means necessary.

And then out of courtesy, you go downstairs to the neighbours with a bottle of wine/box of chocolates/flowers/some sort of token and apologise for the leak, tell them that you're constantly on to the landlord trying to get it fixed and you've stopped showering there so hopefully they won't have any more water coming in to their apartment. Enquire as to whether it has stopped or do they reckon there's a more active leak than water escaping when the shower's used....

Then you hand the neighbours a card with the landlord's details on it so that "if you're not home" and a problem arises, they can get on to the landlord directly...

But no, on reflection it seems like it's much more sensible to give two fingers up to a completely innocent party. :rolleyes:

Well should the OP keep going elsewhere for whatever amount of time just because the LL is a lazy sod? It isn't feasible for the OP to keep going to the gym/pool every time they want a shower. This is letting the LL out of their obligations to fix stuff.

• Advertisement

Well should the OP keep going elsewhere for whatever amount of time just because the LL is a lazy sod? It isn't feasible for the OP to keep going to the gym/pool every time they want a shower. This is letting the LL out of their obligations to fix stuff.

No, they give the landlord a timeframe, after which they move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

No, they give the landlord a timeframe, after which they move out.
    In my posts #11 and #22 I have said that the OP should write to the landlord and set a time frame within which the issues should be remedied.

odds_on wrote: »
    In my posts #11 and #22 I have said that the OP should write to the landlord and set a time frame within which the issues should be remedied.

Are we not arguing the same point here? They set a timeframe, if LL doesn't fix issues they terminate the lease and move out...

Yes, is the simple and straight answer to that question. The shower is out of order as it is causing damage to a neighbours property; it is unavailable for use, end of story.

It's not letting the landlord out of anything. The landlord has an obligation to fix this issue; if they do not do so in a timely fashion after written notice of the issue then you seek to terminate the lease based on the landlords breach of obligation.

While doing so you continue to shower elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

djimi wrote: »
    Yes, is the simple and straight answer to that question. The shower is out of order as it is causing damage to a neighbours property; it is unavailable for use, end of story.

It's not letting the landlord out of anything. The landlord has an obligation to fix this issue; if they do not do so in a timely fashion after written notice of the issue then you seek to terminate the lease based on the landlords breach of obligation.

While doing so you continue to shower elsewhere.
    Or the OP could get preferably three quotes to fix the problem, accept the lowest and have the problem fixed while deducting the cost from the rent payments.

Notice period for a landlord's breach of obligations is 28 days. The issue could probably be fixed in several days.

odds_on wrote: »
    Or the OP could get preferably three quotes to fix the problem, accept the lowest and have the problem fixed while deducting the cost from the rent payments.

Notice period for a landlord's breach of obligations is 28 days. The issue could probably be fixed in several days.

The landlord has shown no interest in fixing this issue and has shown that they have little regard for their obligations. They have also given the OP a pretty solid reason to move to terminate the lease. Why on earth would you want to continue dealing with this sort of landlord? Most people would be looking for a way out of such a tenancy.

Also why should the OP be out of pocket for even a few weeks due to this issue? Its not likely to be a cheap fix, and chances are there are still going to be related issues to resolve even after the plumbing has been sorted (chances are the water leaking over such a prolonged period of time has caused damage to other areas of the room/house that need sorting, and thats before the neighbours get involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Document everything, photograph everything, move out and tell him to sue you.

Yes it might not be the "legal" way but reading all the advice here (which I know is legally correct and in good faith) you'd be going round in circles for months between the different organisations involved - it's the Irish way.. make "the system" so convoluted and ineffective that good people will just give up, and applies to practically EVERYTHING in this country! It's how cowboys like your LL exist.

In the meantime you and your gf are supposed to put up with the litany of issues AND piss your neighbours off because of the shower issue AND pay him rent every month?

Feck that IMO - I'd get yourselves sorted out first and then let him take you to court. By the sounds of it though I wouldn't say you'll hear any more about it given his attitude to-date. The only issue would be your deposit and it may be something you have to write off in the long run, but from all you've said I think I'd live with it if I had to.

No this isn't legal advice and it's entirely up to you how you handle it in the end, but not a chance would I be putting up with that nonsense for another week, never mind another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Any progress OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

There was a bit of a mix-up with the address so I just found out where he lived on Sunday.
    I sent the following letter by express post today.
    Mr X,

We are writing in relation to our tenancy at X.

As we have previously made you aware of, there are a number of appliances in the apartment which have needed repairing or replacing since we moved in.

We have now been living in the property for seven weeks and still have no means of cooking or keeping fresh food due to issues with the oven, microwave and fridge.

We have tried contacting you numerous times and you have either not picked up or have failed to get back to us.

As such, we are now requesting that these appliances be replaced by Wednesday 9th November or we will replace them ourselves and deduct the cost from the rent due on that date.

You can contact us on ********** (me) or ******** (her).

Sincerley

Me Her

What is the legality regarding recording phone calls in Ireland? Do I have to tell him he is being recorded?

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    What is the legality regarding recording phone calls in Ireland? Do I have to tell him he is being recorded?

Yes, otherwise you cannot use the recording for any legal means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There was a bit of a mix-up with the address so I just found out where he lived on Sunday.
    I sent the following letter by express post today.

How come you didn't mention the shower soaking the people below? That would be an important one I'd have said.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why havent you left or registered a compliant with PRTB or even gone to Threshold. :confused:

Also why didnt you register the letter?

Okay, I have an update.
    The landlord called her the day he received later.
    He said he'd just replace the microwave but a guy came to repair the oven and fridge the next day Friday. He replaced the thermostat in the oven straight away and that's working fine now, but he said he'd have to try to find a door and hinge for the fridge. I heard him talking on the phone to the landlord and it sounded as if the landlord is known to be difficult to deal with as the repairman asked him about payment a few times and where he would be later to collect the money etc. I haven't heard from either of them since and the rent day is approaching. Should I still use the deadline I gave him in the letter as a deadline for everything to be fixed and withhold the rent until all three are fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

To be honest if I was you I would look about finding somewhere else. It seems as though you are going to have constant bother with this landlord, and if he fixes the stuff it'll be a sh*te job done, and you'll be in the same position in a few months down the line.

And I can guarantee if he is this tight you won't be seeing your deposit back either, so I'd be telling him to keep this as your last months rent and getting out asap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

OP - dont walk , run from this. If this is how the LL is carrying on at the beginning then this is how it'll continue.

Plenty of decent professionally behaving individuals out there who would be damn glad of your money every month.

The power's just after going off. It's still on in the neighbours' and it's not the trip switch.
    There's no power going into the fuse box.

Looks like we've been cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The power's just after going off. It's still on in the neighbours' and it's not the trip switch.

Whose name is the electricity bill in? If yours, have you been paying the bill? Have you contacted your supplier?

If the landlord's, have they been paying the bill? Have you contacted the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Did you notify the supplier when you first moved in?

Once the last tenant closed their account the supply would normally continue for a few weeks grace period until the new tenant signs up, if nobody gets in touch they cut you off.

When we we're signing the lease, the estate agents put it into our name.
    We haven't received a bill since we moved in 2 months ago though.

I was running the electric shower and she had the hair dryer and storage heater going when it went so I thought it may have tripped.

But I took the cover off the fusebox and checked all the terminals with a phase tester and none of them are live.

Maybe there's another fuseboard somewhere in the block

• Advertisement

Sounds like the agent didnt transfer the bill as expected. You should have gotten a bill by now I would have thought (I got one after a couple of weeks I think as I moved in most of the way through a billing cycle).

Advertisement