Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€650 a month for a bed and a couch

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    I was running the electric shower

Has the LL fixed the shower yet or are you still leaking into the neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Has the LL fixed the shower yet or are you still leaking into the neighbours?

Still hasn't fixed it. I gave the trap a good cleaning and have a bin bag covering where it leaks from.
    I've seen the neighbour a few times since and he hasn't mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just because they arent mentioning it doesnt mean its not still causing damage.

Is it possible that the water might have gotten into the electrics and shorted it out?

Just went hunting around the block and found the main breakers and mine was knocked off.

It's on the end of the block in a door that's doesn't close and is hanging off the hinges.
    So any member of the public can just walk in and knock my power off whenever it takes their fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mairerua

Any update on what happened since?

• Advertisement

Still haven't had contact from the landlord.
    The rent was due 9 days ago now and still hasn't been paid.
    If I get to the end of the month without paying it, I'll technically have gotten my deposit back so we may just pack up and leave then

We've had mould problems since we moved in, the entire back of my chest of drawers was covered in green fluff so I bought some moisture traps.

I'm just after checking the place though and there's no ventilation at all.

The extractor fan in the kitchen just empties back out into the room and I just went up into the attic now to check on the fan in the bathroom and it just empties into the attic. There's some sort of DPM on top of the ceiling plasterboard and it's all wet between it and the ceiling.

I think that decides me on moving out. It's only a matter of time before the mould causes my asthma to flare up and I've been suffering with eczema the last few weeks which I haven't had since I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I genuinely don't understand WHY you're still there a month later with no improvement.

As I said (this day last month), document and photograph everything, move out and tell him to sue you. Not a chance would I put up with that stuff and still be paying for it.

It's putting up with this cr@p that has decent people dealing with cowboys like your LL. As I said previously, while maybe not the correct legal approach (which as with everything in this country is so convoluted and takes so long as to be ineffective anyway), I'd rather have my day in court than give this clown another cent while my health and home-life suffered

Haven't managed to get a new place yet.
    Organised a viewing for a place at 10am yesterday. Got a call at five to saying he'd be ten minutes late. We stood outside the place until after eleven and he never showed. Never got a call with any explanation or apology. I have come to the conclusion that all landlords are scummy *****.
    Still haven't been contacted for the rent and the mould is now covering the bathroom and bedroom ceilings. I think I'll adopt the landlord's ethos and ignore the problem until it magically disappears.

Thankfully we have finally found a new place to live and will be out of this hell hole on the 6th January. However as one last kick in the bollox, I have developed pneumonia, I assume from the mould in this place. Here's some pictures of a chest of drawers that I bought new when we moved in
    IMG_20131228_145647.jpg

IMG_20131228_145706.jpg

IMG_20131228_145654.jpg

It's now 2 months since we paid rent and still haven't been contacted about it. We've also never had a bill for electricity since we moved in. We're just leaving without notifying anybody and the landlord can discover we've left whenever he decides to come by. Obviously we're not going to pay any electricity to the bastard either. Any other ideas for fúcking the príck over before we leave?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

You could possibly sue him for the pneumonia but it would take a lot of determination and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Scrape a sample of that mould and take it to your gp for testing. Exposure to mould can cause long term health problems. Get legal advice. This is a preposterous situation. I would consider contacting local media too if I were you. This LL needs a good rattle. Lawyer up before you do anything

Were settling comfortably into the new place.
    We just packed up and left 2 weeks ago, didn't give any notice or give back keys yet.
    Today I had a voicemail from them.
    Seems the the sense or urgency to contact me has increased albeit 4 months late.
    I've no intention of returning the call or talking to them.
    I'm just going to put the keys in the letterbox of the estate agents when they're closed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Honestly OP I have no idea why you stayed as long as you did or gave the landlord as many chances as he did. I'm not sure how many places you've rented in the past but this is not normal behaviour from a landlord. Most are decent people who have rules to follow when it comes to renting a property.

The landlord you had sounds like the stereotype for the kind of individual who just couldn't give a damn in the world for his tenants or the rules. You were far too obliging to him. I hope your current place is brilliant and you have no issues with it or the landlord.

I'm not sure how many places you've rented in the past but this is not normal behaviour from a landlord.

It was our first place alone. We had just done house shares before so it was a bit unfortunate that the first landlord we got was a cúnt.

The new place is grand, I know the person who rented it before us and the landlord is fine.
    I just hope the last bastard doesn't try to start anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wobzilla I know you're frustrated and angry at your previous landlord, but can you please watch your language.

Thanks

wobzilla I know you're frustrated and angry at your previous landlord, but can you please watch your language.

Thanks

Sorry.
    Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    It was our first place alone. We had just done house shares before so it was a bit unfortunate that the first landlord we got was a cretin.

The new place is grand, I know the person who rented it before us and the landlord is fine.
    I just hope the last baxtard doesn't try to start anything

Well just remember two things:

1 - You're renting someone's property so even if it's a dive be respectful of it no matter how difficult the landlord may be. Don't do anything that a court of law would look unfavourably on. If you are patient with a bad landlord and behave yourself you'll come out of it better.

2 - You're paying to rent the property. The landlord isn't doing you any favours so don't be shy about asking for something to be done, once you're being reasonable about it. You're paying good money to rent a place so the landlord should look after you. If that's not happening then as others have said there are plenty of other places to rent and as much as it's a hassle for you to find somewhere new, it's equally a hassle for the landlord to get in someone new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Please do keep us updated on whether the Estate Agents or landlord start chasing you down. Would love to hear about it!

I took one last trip to the old place last night to take my lightbulbs back and there was a letter there from the agents.

It said if I didn't contact them in 24 hours, they'd enter the property as the landlord was concerned about it (lol). Just sealed the envelope back up and left it where it was

• Advertisement

Haven't heard anything since from the estate agents but the locks have been changed on the old place.
    It was up on the daft the day after I went in last but was taken down within a couple of hours.

Just when I thought I was done with this.
    Someone has obviously moved into the old apartment and is now paying me rent. I just seen it on my online banking.
    What do I have to do. I have no intention of speaking to either the landlord or estate agents.
    What can I do? Someone at the estate agents is obviously giving out my account details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Happy days, enjoy the cash ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Call around to the place and ask where they got the bank details (estate agent most likely?), print out copies showing the transactions, then lodge a complaint with the data protection commissioner, then return the money.

Can't I just get the bank to return the money? I'm not contacting the estate agents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Are you kidding me? Just return the money and leave it at that? I'd be livid if an EA (or ANYONE) had just been handing out my bank details to anyone who decided to rent.

I dunno if I made it clear but I meant call around to the current tenant, not the estate agent (where will that get you?). In fact, OP, when you call around the current occupiers see if they have anything in writing that you can get a copy of that shows someone giving out your bank details. It'll help for your complaint to the data-protection commissioners.

If it's the estate agent who gave out the details, also lodge a complaint against them to their regulatory body (I think these are the folks you'd be looking for http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/whatwedo-investigation-en)

I imagine that the new tenant would be quite willing to cooperate with you tbh. I know if someone came around and said "hey, I'm the previous tenant and you just paid me rent" I'd be grateful to them for taking the effort. Plus, you can vouch that their rent was on time (because it's now likely to be late) because someone gave them the incorrect details but they did try to pay on time..

I get that you want to be rid of this apartment but seriously, THIS is not something I'd let slide.

I'll give it a go but it may be difficult.
    The apartment is upstairs, the doorbell doesn't work and there's no phoneline.
    I suppose I could stand outside and throw stones at the window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Write them a letter asking them to contact you? You have their address.

Id also be informing the bank of the error, and talking to the agent (no point saying you dont want to; you need to get this sorted).

Id also be contacting the Data Protection Commissioner and seeking their advice; even if it was a genuine error this agent has breached your privacy in a serious way and it needs to be investigated.

Advertisement