Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car stolen, recovered but not released

• 12-10-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

TL;DR

Car was stolen from my house, I filed an insurance claim, car was recovered, thieves arrested, guards are holding onto the car for an unknown period (defense lawyers keep filing paperwork for it to be kept).

Does anyone know where I might stand as regards to;
    (a) demanding to have my car returned - I'm guessing legally that won't happen
    (b) going ahead with the claim - if this is even possible as the car has been recovered?

Any opinions on where I stand would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Before my brother emigrated his BMW was nicked outside the house in Dublin and used in an armed robbery & recovered by the Gardai accidentally :D
    He applied via the courts to get it returned and it was returned to him (if memory serves me right he had provisionally sold it to someone and his court application was along the lines of "I need it back so I can sell it on before I leave the country)
    I have NO idea if that's actually relevant :P but apparently you can get in back that way
    Note: this was about 6 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd ask the cops how long it'll be with them so you can declare it off the road for tax
    To see if you get any info off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I'd ask the cops how long it'll be with them so you can declare it off the road for tax
    To see if you get any info off them

Yeah I'm doing that. They're 'trying' to give it back but keep getting blocked by the scumbags solicitors. I was wondering if I had any right to demand it back / make the insurance company pay out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Look at the terms of your policy.

Being sensible, you have no claim for the value of the vehicle as you have not been permanently deprived of it.

The policy might cover loss of earnings or the cost of hiring a replacement vehicle where this resulted from the theft.

Frankly, trying to claim for the value of the vehicle after it has been recovered would be fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

234 wrote: »
    Frankly, trying to claim for the value of the vehicle after it has been recovered would be fraud.
    My query is trying to figure out just that, what are the legal specifics behind 'recovered'. It's been recovered by the cops but not by me. I can't see it, have no idea what state it's in nor do I have any clue when I'll get it back. I've used the 9 days of a rental car that my policy gives me :/

Does 'recovered' not mean it has to be back in my hands or at least being repaired?
    Is there a statutory amount of days by which the insurance company must pay out of a claim is not settled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

All of those questions would be legal advice, which there is a prohibition on giving.

If the answer isn't in your policy then you should seek the services of a solicitor.

Advertisement