Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Teaching Options 2014

• 12-10-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Dia daoibh!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new :P

I'm currently in 5th year, with the passion to become a primary school teacher, I've wanted to since I was a child! It'll be a year or so until I'm putting down colleges but I like to have a good idea where I'd like to go to become a teacher.
    NUI Maynooth has always been my first option, but with points staying like 495, it's highly unlikely that I can reach that! With the course having only moved to the NUI campus this year, what is it like? I know it's early days but I've been to the college before and absolutely loved the feel of the place, why its my number one choice :)

Marino has really caught my attention lately, the emphasis on Irish is a real factor for me, the small scale however, I don't know how to feel about that, can anyone tell me what studying in Marino is like? Also the Dublin life, the nightlife?
    St Pats or Mary I has yet to wow me.. I'm honestly not that keen on either, but thats only because I don't know much about it, could anyone explain what both these colleges are like? Also, in Marino/ St Pats, do any lectures take place in TCD/DCU? Personal experience or general perception is grand :)

Lastly, another option I'm dying to get some info about (as its very confusing, and with recent cutbacks, the guidance counsellor is pretty much unapproachable until you're in 6th year) St Mary's University Belfast. This is the one I'd like the most info on, of course I'd rather study here in the republic but I do think i'll apply here also. How does this course work? In terms of applying, studying BEd with Irish, the course that enables you to teach in "Irish-Medium Schools" .. what does this mean exactly? Irish schools in the North? Or ROI schools? I presume a Postgraduate course would be needed to teach in ROI, how do you go about doing that? Also, what is it like to study in the north as ROI person? Is Belfast as dangerous as it's perceived? Nightlife, studentlife, finance?

This is long I know, but any help or experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"Irish Medium Schools" means Gaelscoileanna.

Take a good look at the Primary & Pre School and Teaching and Lecturing fora for a realistic idea of the teaching world and the lack of employment. If you're still determined to go ahead, good for you. The Irish may come in handy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mXcailin

Would that mean you would be qualified to teach in ROI?

Yeah I'm aware of the current employment situation.. However I hope that when its my time 6/7 years, there will be jobs available, I don't see the point in doing anything other than what I've always wanted, when in 10 years time there might be plenty of jobs :)

Thank you for your help, all help is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Larsson53

St. Marys offer a B.Ed through Irish (i.e. all taught through the Irish language), once you qualify with that degree you can teach in the Republic as you have a B.Ed degree and also you wont have to do any of the Irish requirements people normally have to do when they return from doing a b.Ed degree in the UK. Also Belfast is a great student city and I wouldnt worry about any trouble or danger up there. In fact I find it a much safer city than Dublin (live in Dublin and have spent a lot of time in Belfast).

Marino is growing all the time, with numbers nearly around the 600 mark now between B.Ed undergrads, post grads and students in the new Bsc. Education course. There is a real homely feel and as it is smaller it is very tight knit. Don't be put off by it's size, you will still get a full college experience from going there, there are many sports teams, the GAA teams play at a high standard, if that isn't your thing there are numerous clubs and socs and from a social side of things there are always plenty of nights out organised by the ENTs officers, often joined with local colleges (Pats, DCU). Also as far as I am aware, with the new B.Ed course in Marino that started last year, when you are in fourth year you will graduate with you Dip, which is a huge plus.Not 100% if the other teaching colleges offer this but if not it is a big advantage for Marino as it will be a great weight off your shoulders not being under pressure to get your Dip!

Hope the above helps.

Oh wow really? That's great to hear!

That sounds brilliant! Marino seems like a great place to be honest!
    Yes thank you so much that's really shed some new light on it all :D

Anymore help would be great :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Marino is a private college though, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

yoho139 wrote: »
    Marino is a private college though, isn't it?

Not that I know of. It comes under the free fees scheme.

Just a note- make sure it doesn't get confused with Marino College, an ETB college. The one for teaching is the Marino Institute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Ah, that's why I was confused.

Also has anyone any information on Mary Immaculate? Role of irish? Accomodation? Limerick as a student city? Student life? Or anymore information on the other colleges too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiseB900

Hi, does anyone have any information on the post graduate course in NUI Maynooth for primary school teaching. I am trying to decide between Hibernia or Maynooth? Is Maynooth more difficult to get into? Any comments would be greatly appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cainteach96

Hi, I'm also looking into primary school teaching ! Went to the Marino and St. Pats open days and loved Marino , also wasn't sure about St.Pats ! Wondering if the nightlife is much better in Pats though ? Also the accomadation in Marino was way nicer than Pats but also way more expensive , but you get what you pay for I guess!

From what I've heard of Mary I nightlife seems pretty good if you stay at City Campus and there is over 400 in every year.

Maynooths points were crazy high this year :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Maynooth is fab!! Honestly the best decision I've ever made, feel free to PM me questions if you have any :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lana96

I'm currently in the same boat weighing up st.pats and Marino against each other. each have their own pros and cons, and its a difficult decision to make. Recently got confirmation though that i got accepted to the lovely student accommodation in Marino! delighted to say the least as now i wont have any of those awful accommodation worries many dublin students will have this coming august.

slightly swaying to pick marino as ive secured accommodation there?

(Agree 520 is crazy points for the Bed but them again its the only Bed on a "proper" uni campus rather than just a primary teaching college)

I'm in the same boat since I'm coming from the countryside and haven't much experience with dublin , knowing I have accomadation which is fab and not having to search is a huge plus! Since we don't get the deposit back at all too I'm thinking of leaving it as my first choice !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

I'm in the same boat since I'm coming from the countryside and haven't much experience with dublin , knowing I have accomadation which is fab and not having to search is a huge plus! Since we don't get the deposit back at all too I'm thinking of leaving it as my first choice !
    A lot of pats first and second years live on marino campus its about a good 20 min to walk from there to pats

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lana96

Ah were both culchies! Bit dubious myself about dublin but hey that's all part of the growing up going to college experience I suppose...
    Hopefully will see you next year cainteach!

Lana96 wrote: »
    Ah were both culchies! Bit dubious myself about dublin but hey that's all part of the growing up going to college experience I suppose...
    Hopefully will see you next year cainteach!

Yeah I suppose it's more exciting for us haha 😊 I know dublin better than Limerick though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 copperbeach

Hi I'm hoping to do a post grad in primary teaching and I was just wondering which is better, Mary I in Limerick or Froebel in Maynooth? Any help would be great!

Advertisement