Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PE teaching

Options
  • 12-10-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have an honours degree in business sport management and i am interested in going to england or scotland to do PE teaching,i was just wondering if anyone knew who to contact to find out about this and if i would be able to skip any years or if i could do it as a post grad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FreudianSlipOn

Hi cj,

Try looking at www.teach.gov for more details on teaching. To be a PE teacher in a primary or secondary school you will require a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) which takes 1 year of full-time study to complete, or alternatively 18 months to 2 years part-time at almost any adult college.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

You should first check with the Teaching Council to see if your undergrad degree is recognised for teaching PE, I doubt a business & sport management one is so it may not matter if you can get into a postgrad if the undergrad wont be recognised here. You may have to start a whole new degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FreudianSlipOn

You should first check with the Teaching Council to see if your undergrad degree is recognised for teaching PE, I doubt a business & sport management one is so it may not matter if you can get into a postgrad if the undergrad wont be recognised here. You may have to start a whole new degree.

I agree with this and even though your degree and understanding of sports will impress employers, you may have to complete a relevant A-Level in P.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

As per Castaway_lady's suggestion I've attached the most up-to-date list of approved post primary degrees that I have. You can look up your college and degree and will give you a list of subjects that your degree has been approved for teaching at 2nd level.

Heres a link to some decent info on qualifying as a PE teacher in Scotland.:http://www.planitplus.net/careerzone/areas/?PID=nf&SECL=25S&ID=451

Advertisement