Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling an existing Build

Options
  • 12-10-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

hi guys . im thinking of trying water cooling but i have zero experience at this and dont know where to start . can anyone offer any advice ?

id be putting it in my existing computer . and would like to fully water cool my next build . so what are the basics what do i need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

What do you want to cool?

What case do you have?

Whats your budget?

Reason for water-cooling (silence,higher overclocks or a mixture of both)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

What do you want to cool? For now just the CPU

What case do you have? Coolermaster Cosmos 2

Whats your budget? dont really have one within reason

Reason for water-cooling . Primarily for silence, partially for aesthetics , cooler for overclocking is a bonus too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Ok from a quick google it can take a triple 120 rad on the top and a double 120 down the bottom if you don't need the lower drive bays.
    I'm not sure what depth rad it can take up top but would probably have to be a slim rad.

In regard to silence you need rads with a lower FPI (fins per inch) as they don't need high speed fans.This of course means lower thermal transfer though.

Reservoir wise you have two choices,either a bay res or a tube res.Tube reservoirs are easier to fill and bleed imo but its entirely up to you what look you would prefer.

There are lots of pumps to choose from.I use a D5 vario which has a dial on it to adjust the speed.I run it at the lowest setting for day to day use as its almost silent that way.I also have it sitting on a foam pad to absorb the vibrations.

The EK supremacy is a good water block for the CPU and have both an AMD and Intel version.

You can get two types of fittings,barbs and compressions.Again up to you what you use but compressions look nicer imo and are a safer option over barbs.In saying that barbs are good also once you use tubing that is very tight.

With tubing you can go for clear and add a coloured coolant or coloured tube with clear water or coolant.Primochill Advanced LRT seems to be the best atm as most other types have plasticizer problems (tubing goes cloudy and has a thin film build up inside it).

Your case doesn't have a side window so i wouldn't go mad with aesthetics.

If you plan to watercool the GPU in the future i'd recommend getting either the triple or double rad now and then adding the other rad when you add the GPU to the loop.

Be warned it can be expensive depending on your choices of WC parts.
    Also its a little addictive :p
    You may need to do some small modding to the case to accommodate the loop.

Main advise i'd give is do lots of research yourself.Look for vids or pics of your case watercooled and find something you like.Then we can advise you of what parts to get.This way you will have learned alot before you actually put the loop together.
    The only rule regarding the loop order is the pump needs to be after the res.After the pump is fed from res your go go to blocks or rads in any order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

your a legend thanks :cool:

Advertisement