Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a contributor to a mortgage have rights?

• 12-10-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I purchased a house before I was married in my name. I now have large business debts, all in my name, and facing bankruptcy. My house has a large amount of negative equity.
    I am currently unemployed and my wife has been using her wages to service as much as the mortgage as possible and the bank know this from the SFS's that they have received from us.

My wife has no debts and no assets. Does she legally have any rights over the family home which may prevent it's sale during a bankruptcy?

Any opinions or questions welcome?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Get proper legal advice. This is a complicated an counterintuative area of law.

Simple answer is yes she does have rights, what they are will be dependant on the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I will be getting proper legal advice before the process commences. At the moment I'm just playing through possible scenarios in my head and looking for ideas/opinions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would be impossible to give a general answer on a topic which is inherently specific to each case.

In the general case, yes a person who makes direct contributions to a mortgage may be deemed to have rights over that property. In one famous example, a woman who had been married for a long time but without her name on the deeds was given rights to the home by virtue of the duties she had carried out over the years as a housewife. The judge had deemed her work as contributory to the household and awarded her rights to the property.

But like I say, your solicitor is the best person to advise on protecting your assets. Neither situation above may apply in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

seamus wrote: »
    In one famous example, a woman who had been married for a long time but without her name on the deeds was given rights to the home by virtue of the duties she had carried out over the years as a housewife.

You're thinking along the right lines but I think you're confusing two cases usually looked at together. Housewife duties don't result in an equitable interest despite a rather clever reference to Art 42.1, assisting in running a business might.

Advertisement