Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black carrots - anyone ever tried them?

Options
  • 12-10-2013 3:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Going in January to a restaurant in Poland where one of the beef dishes contains black carrots.
    I'm wondering has anyone tried them before and how do they taste? I think they're not as sweet as the orange ones.
    Thank you for any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Wow such a coincidence I just purchased and ate violet carrots for the 1st time about 5 mins ago.
    To be honest I was a little disappointed, they tasted just the same as orange carrots, just a bit 'older' , you know like when they aren't sweet (well they were quite big, so maybe small ones are sweeter).

Anyway, I would imagine the black ones are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Carrots come in a good few colours.. I've grown purple, yellow and orange ones. Didn't know there were black ones! Nifty.

There are slight differences in flavour with the others, but nothing much. Still 'carroty'. Let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They regularly have purple, yellow & white carrots in the shops & on the markets here in Switz. There's not a huge amount of difference in the flavour imo.

I seem to remember that I heard somewhere that orange carrots have only really become the norm in the past 100 years or so.

Here's a link to a carrot colour/taste guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I understand that carrots were always a dark purple in colour until the Dutch developed the now almost ubiquitous orange coloured ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I understand that carrots were always a dark purple in colour until the Dutch developed the now almost ubiquitous orange coloured ones.

That's gas! They have orange everything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

The Dutch bread more orange ones and popularised them (they didn't 'invent' them) but it's amazing how many colours there are. They look funky on a plate too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Alun wrote: »

Took the kids to Milano pizza tonight and on the kids sheet it has a history of carrots showing the first carrots were indeed purple. Live and learn (history and pizza is such a good mix)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's gas! They have orange everything :D
    When I lived there, the local chipper would even have orange chips during the world cup (well up until they got knocked out, that is!) God only know what they used to colour them with.

Advertisement