Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Change Scam

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

monkey8 wrote: »
    this thread is enough for me.

Out of curiosity, why are you so convinced that it was a scam rather than human error?

read the thread.

i was short changed recently and i am unsure whether it was a mistake or a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Roquentin wrote: »
    read the thread.

i was short changed recently and i am unsure whether it was a mistake or a scam

You should read the thread yourself.

You are very certain in your op that it is a scam and you do not question as to whether it is a mistake.
    In fact you titled it "short change scam"!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

monkey8 wrote: »
    You should read the thread yourself.

You are very certain in your op that it is a scam and you do not question as to whether it is a mistake.
    In fact you titled it "short change scam"!!

ok you win im wrong.....now leave me alone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mistakes happen!
    rubadub wrote: »
    It appears there are some very thin-skinned people employed nowadays...

In pubs I would only hand over a 50 if it was not that busy and early in the night. And might have it folded so I can unfold it infront of them, so its clear I knew what it was. Also unfolding it could make it more visible to CCTV if it was to be investigated.

I got short changed just a few euro in a local supermarket and do believe it was on purpose, since when I went back they immediately handed it over, with absolutely no surprise or questioning at all.

It only ever happened me once; well, on one transaction anyways, but numerous times on that one transaction by same person.

Paid with a 50euro for lunch at 14.95euro. Firstly given change for 30euro :confused: ; then when brought to her attention she gave me another 15euro back; only after questioning that did she give me the balance - my correct change.

Still cannot make sense of that one. Management came over and apolgised, she didn't say a word, or show any sign of surprise.

Never returned to that establishment,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

kerry4sam wrote: »
    It only ever happened me once; well, on one transaction anyways, but numerous times on that one transaction by same person....
    That reminds me of an incident in Prague a few years back. It is widely-reported that many restaurant staff there pad bills in various ways, so I was particularly attentive. In one case a bill included an item I didn't order, another item charged at higher than the menu price, and, to cap it off, the total was incorrect. I challenged the bill, and the server became flustered and recalculated to an amount below the correct price. That was one case where I didn't draw an error in my favour to the seller's attention.

And I gave no tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

That reminds me of an incident in Prague a few years back. It is widely-reported that many restaurant staff there pad bills in various ways, so I was particularly attentive. In one case a bill included an item I didn't order, another item charged at higher than the menu price, and, to cap it off, the total was incorrect. I challenged the bill, and the server became flustered and recalculated to an amount below the correct price. That was one case where I didn't draw an error in my favour to the seller's attention.

And I gave no tip.

Ah yeah but for me it was en route to Galway. I was meeting friends later in the day and stopped on my way up for my lunch as I'd to check-in and get ready once I arrived in Galway.

I remember looking at one of her colleagues who just looked appalled at the behaviour of her colleague at one of the tills. A very well known establishment too.
    Annoyed me no end,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah yeah but for me it was en route to Galway....
    The final outcome is the same for both of us: if I visit Prague again I know a restaurant that I will avoid (pity, really: the food was quite nice).

you would not get away with skimming money from customers/company for very long at all

mistakes happen cashier prob was not concentrating or whatever,

companies usually have a certain 'cent per thousand' target to meet with till shortages so if someone starts skimming the odd €2 here and there it will be noticed straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

UCDVet wrote: »
    The thing is - if you steal an item from an electronics store - the actual inventory won't match with the numbers in the system. It will be noticed, sooner or later.

They won't know who is taking stuff, they'll just know someone is. And then they start to investigate.

If you short change the customer, the boss/the company never know. It's just individual customers who aren't going to do anything.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be a lot easier to short change the odd customer, than to steal an actual item, fake a receipt, then return the item.

It's the equivalent of McDonalds trying to trace every Burger they sell. If you're selling large enough quantities, inventory tracking is only so beneficial.

The main problem he had was he was greedy enough to look for full price (for eg €100) rather than sell on Ebay for €60.. That would be the smart way.

If you short change a customer, it will be noticed often enough for people to complain to you and others become suspicious imo. There's no way you could do that consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bepolite wrote: »
    There are safety implications in relation to being on a phone in a petrol station, on top of being pig ignorant.
    There is no safety implications (I've tried it with petrol in a controlled environment in a safe area, and nothing happens). It is a bit ignorant, though, and I'd wonder if certain individuals take advantage of peoples lack of concentration when they're on the phone?
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    When buying drinks in a pub I never ever handover a €50 note. Always try and pay with the lowest note possible and use coins as much as I can instead of this breaking-a-large-note-every-time-I-go-to-the-bar bullsh*it..
    This or break all your notes whilst sober, tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement