Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Actuary v Doctor

• 12-10-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys I was wondering how does employment and life compare of an actuary and that of a doc. Not sure between the 2 am applying to cao this year so don't know what do go for really but I really love math and app.math. Is it really that hard to get a job as an actuary after you graduate and does it have a bad employment perspective compared to a doc's

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Actuary would involve mainly working on your own, whereas a doctor works with people, many of whom ignore the advice he/she tries to give them.

I would see them as very different jobs indeed. Hard to compare them because they are so different.

Job opportunities would be good for both, though there may be a need to move for work.
    Working conditions (certainly for the first few years) much better for actuary.
    Training much shorter for actuary.
    Stress of the job, much worse for doctor, unless you are the sort of person thinks about what the figures an actuary actually works with mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Kadiv wrote: »
    ...I really love math and app.math.
    So why would you want to be a doctor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

djpbarry wrote: »
    So why would you want to be a doctor?

These careers are at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum... Would you be by any chance aiming for 600 points and picking courses accordingly to get 'value' from your points gained? If maths is your first love, then surely you'd be leaning that way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

They both take ages to qualify for, and usually are the preserve of academically high achieving students, and there the similarity ends.

Actuaries have nice hours, good pay, and not incredibly stressful work.

Doctors have horrible hours, good pay, and stressful work, but I imagine it's somewhat more rewarding (not in a financial sense).

Do what you're interested in. If you are good at that, you'll get a decent job out of it. This business of estimating what you'll earn in ten years is useless and soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RebelLAD1

whats the maths content of actury course like? very hard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement