Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a site with PP in Dublin

Options
  • 12-10-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are currently looking at buying a site including PP in North Dublin. We have seen one we really like and the asking price is 150K which is the absolute upper end of our budget.

My question to you knowledgeable people is, considering the way property is going in Dublin at the moment, what would you consider a reasonable opening offer for the site? It has been on the market for about 3 months now.

EDIT - also, as a follow up question :), it is being sold with full planning permission so is it safe to assume that means there is no occupancy/residency clause?

I have looked at the actual planning application grant and it says exactly the following under conditions - "the development shall be carried out in its entirety in accordance with the plans, particulars and specifications lodged with the application"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

That site seems extremely over priced. I have seen sites with FPP for 4 large houses going for €140,000 in Glasnevin last year. And a site on NCR in Cabra for 8 houses for 200-250k. Is it in inner suburbs Dublin or north county Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

hfallada wrote: »
    That site seems extremely over priced. I have seen sites with FPP for 4 large houses going for €140,000 in Glasnevin last year. And a site on NCR in Cabra for 8 houses for 200-250k. Is it in inner suburbs Dublin or north county Dublin

It's a 0.5 acre site in north county dublin and its within a 100 yards or so of the beach.

Coupled with the build price of a modest 4 bed detached dormer its not an unreasonable price IMO.

saying that, I of course want to get the best possible value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quandary wrote: »
    I have looked at the actual planning application grant and it says exactly the following under conditions - "the development shall be carried out in its entirety in accordance with the plans, particulars and specifications lodged with the application"
    Such a condition would be perfectly normal.

You need to read the actual planning application documents and any supplementary documents to see what they say. http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/SearchforaPlanningApplication/

Fingal generally has a policy that future housing should be within the existing towns and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Victor wrote: »
    Fingal generally has a policy that future housing should be within the existing towns and villages.
    OT do you know if any other local authority with such a policy?

OP here again folks, thanks for the replies so far, its been helpful!

I was wondering about one other thing you guys might be able to help shed some light on...

Currently there is full planning permission on this site for a large house - 3200 sqft.

This is too big and expensive for us to build and heat/maintain in the future so we were wondering how receptive Fingal Planning Authority would be to us reducing this house to a size of around 2000 sqft. I am aware this is a huge change to the original size but we would be keeping everything else identical.

Is it safe to assume downsizing the house to a more manageable size wouldn't be a hugely difficult change to get approved by the planning dept?

Or am I being naive here?

thanks again!

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    OT do you know if any other local authority with such a policy?

Most of them pretend to. In practice, I suppose it only really applies to the Dublin councils.

I can't imagine it being a particular problem.

What may be important would be making sure it complies with the county development plan (which may have changed since the last planning permission) and is in an acceptable style.

Note that planning permissions normally have a 5 year time period and you are expected to be substantially complete within that 5 years - otherwise you need a new planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Quandary wrote: »
    OP here again folks, thanks for the replies so far, its been helpful!

I was wondering about one other thing you guys might be able to help shed some light on...

Currently there is full planning permission on this site for a large house - 3200 sqft.

This is too big and expensive for us to build and heat/maintain in the future so we were wondering how receptive Fingal Planning Authority would be to us reducing this house to a size of around 2000 sqft. I am aware this is a huge change to the original size but we would be keeping everything else identical.

Is it safe to assume downsizing the house to a more manageable size wouldn't be a hugely difficult change to get approved by the planning dept?

Or am I being naive here?

thanks again!

Be prepared to have to pay fingal co co around €20,000 in development levy's for a 2000sq ft house.

Be prepared to have to pay fingal co co around €20,000 in development levy's for a 2000sq ft house.

Oh I'm well prepared alright. I've seen there is already a 40,000 levy based on the existing planned 3200sqft house. We're looking to build something under 2000sqft which will bring that levy down to about 28,000. Still a big sum of money :(

Advertisement