Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job prospects ...

Options
  • 12-10-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Just wondering what the jobs situation is like out in Canada at the moment? I am thinking of heading out late 2014. I have a masters, work in banking and have over a years experience. Are the Canadians willing to take people on in bank jobs that are on a WHV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

They will, but you might get in through employment agencies instead of through the banks directly. I would recommend you go to Toronto if you are in banking. Had you planned to go somewhere in particular?
    I have been here 6 years and work for one of the major banks. Send me a PM with your cv/resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm thinking on heading over to vancouver in January. Qualified solicitor here but I'd be open to any decent job To support myself. I also have Canadian citizenship as I was born there and only got the passport sorted recently. I'd hope this would be quite useful in when it comes to securing work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What about someone who has a couple of years of administration work on their C.V. is it easy to find work?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I'm thinking on heading over to vancouver in January. Qualified solicitor here but I'd be open to any decent job To support myself. I also have Canadian citizenship as I was born there and only got the passport sorted recently. I'd hope this would be quite useful in when it comes to securing work etc

My GF is a qualified solicitor with a few years experience in Ireland when we moved over. You won't be qualified in Canada unless you sit the law exams, the number of which vary randomly it seems. You need to apply to the Canadian Bar (or something like that) and send in a load of info. They will then tell you how many exams you need to do. Think it varies from around 4-10.

You can always work as a ParaLegal or Legal Assistant, although most positions seem to be looking for Canadian experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thekid2013

Simon,

I've sent you a PM, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Sasha,

What visa are you going over on? I arrive in Toronto 7th Jan.

Regards,

John

Sasha,

Same as me.
    Hows the research going?
    I've just started studying for the Canadian Securities Course, will need to get it boxed off asap.
    The big 5 banks seem to be recruiting, just how long the process takes and the fact that the visa has only recently being amended/extended (can they recruit people on it).

Have you booked a hostel?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thelatest001

Hi there just enquiring about the 2014 IEC visas, im in Oz at the moment, interested in going to Canada, when are the visas available!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Snuggie

Hi I was also wondering if anyone knew when the date to apply for IEC will be released?. Is there somewhere you can sign up to, to be notified of the opening date?. Hoping to go out summer 2014 with my husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx keep an eye on this site or set up a robot to notify of changes to the page

The program normally opens around January direction

Hi Sasha,

Wealth management / financial advice type roles even junior ones require it. Toronto seems very competitive. airbnb.com might be worth a look if you don't fancy the hostel route.

Regards,

John

Advertisement