Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parship - Online Dating Site - now getting Debt Collection Letters

Options
  • 12-10-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi,
    I signed up for a reduced rate 3 month trial this time last year of parship - a rather rubbish online dating site.
    I used paypal.
    When I realised it was rubbish, I thought I cancelled it on their website - am not sure about this, and can't find an email, but remember in my head getting rid of it - and I cancelled it on paypal too.
    I got an email on March 2nd this year saying they didn't renew my membership and I have got occasional emails advertising the service.
    I didn't pass any heed on them, and haven't logged into the site for a year.

Yesterday then, I got a debt collections letter from a UK company for 197 euro.

What should I do?
    Should I just pay it?

I emailed parship to complain that I had thought I had cancelled service, and clearly hadn't used it. They haven't replied yet.
    Plus, I had no communication since March from them at all.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

It was my fault.
    I never actually cancelled it fully on their website.
    The dating site said they made multiple efforts to contact me - they did not.
    Bewarned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You're not going to pay them are you :confused:
    How many dates did they get you.

I think I will pay it.
    I don't have a cancellation confirmation email, they said i never cancelled it. Surely that is my fault, and I'm unlikely to win any argument.

The site itself wants me to pay 197 euro, but the debt collection agency only want 111euro when I rang them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's a UK debt collection agency. i think if you look elsewhere on this site, you'll find they've no standing in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

What can they do really, and all over €197?

Hardly worth their while even sending the letter!!!

I'd file it under ................B for bin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You'd be absolutely mental to pay this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just bin the letters, no company in their right mind would follow that up in Court.

Other companies such as Netfix, Spotify etc just terminate the service when payment isn't made.

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I think I will pay it.
    I don't have a cancellation confirmation email, they said i never cancelled it. Surely that is my fault, and I'm unlikely to win any argument.

The site itself wants me to pay 197 euro, but the debt collection agency only want 111euro when I rang them today.

Do you have an email confirming you were a full member.
    Do you have any email offering even one date.

People often ask here if they should pay a debt or not. IMO this is one case where you should definitely not pay. It's a dating site, what did/will you get for your money. Spend the €200 on a makeover. Feel good about yourself. Bin the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

They would have to get a judgement against you in an Irish court to in anyway damage your credit rating so just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your advice.
    Will hold off paying for now and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EIC

I received a letter today from a company UK Collections Ltd. stating that I am in debt to Parship IE for €112.85. I cant remember the last time I used the service or do not know how I could be in arrears as I recall you pay by credit card before using the service. I contacted Parship by email asking them to correct the error. They replied as follows:

"Unfortunately, I am not able to assist you in this matter as PARSHIP has passed your outstanding payment to a collection agency.
    We had contacted you repeatedly in order to settle your open payment; however we have not received a response which could have led to a mutual agreement.
    Since I have no access to the data and systems of the Debt Collection Service, I cannot provide you with information about the current process. Please contact the collection agency directly."

I received no other notification from Parship re any outstanding amount due to them. I have never had a debt collection notice issued to me before and am very uncomfortable about it. Anyone any idea how I should deal with this ? Is this some kind of scam ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ask for copies of the contact material.

As the original poster, I didn't pay it. Told the debt collection company I'd get back to them. And they didn't contact me again.
    I wrote parship a stinker of a letter demanding copies of all correspondence they sent me asking for money (I never received any letters or emails) and no reply there either.
    I planned to pay it to avoid hassle in case I moved to the Uk and it would affect my credit rating, but given they never bothered contacting me I ignored it. And had completely forgotten until this post was resurrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I had a similar problem with a "bulk buy" website that i signed up to.
    never cancelled after the month free trial. The letters got more and more threatening and more and more official but eventually stopped coming.

Funny enough I'm still getting emails from them advertising their new products :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vector56

Hi, I am having an identical issue with the Parship site threatening me with debt collectors for an automatic renewal of a service I haven't used in close to a year. Would the OP be able to let me know what their outcome was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Vector56 wrote: »
    Hi, I am having an identical issue with the Parship site threatening me with debt collectors for an automatic renewal of a service I haven't used in close to a year. Would the OP be able to let me know what their outcome was?

If you read the thread you would see they did not pay them. Bin the letter and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EIC

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Hi,
    I signed up for a reduced rate 3 month trial this time last year of parship - a rather rubbish online dating site.
    I used paypal.
    When I realised it was rubbish, I thought I cancelled it on their website - am not sure about this, and can't find an email, but remember in my head getting rid of it - and I cancelled it on paypal too.
    I got an email on March 2nd this year saying they didn't renew my membership and I have got occasional emails advertising the service.
    I didn't pass any heed on them, and haven't logged into the site for a year.

Yesterday then, I got a debt collections letter from a UK company for 197 euro.

What should I do?
    Should I just pay it?

I emailed parship to complain that I had thought I had cancelled service, and clearly hadn't used it. They haven't replied yet.
    Plus, I had no communication since March from them at all.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Hello

I got a debt collection notice 24th September re Parship and I did nothing with it based on advise received on this site. No further word since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vector56 wrote: »

Three posts above yours (in post #16) is your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shavon18

coylemj wrote: »
    Three posts above yours (in post #16) is your answer.

I've been sick to the stomach with worry too cos the same has happened to me and I'm getting constant emails from them looking for payment. They're looking for 160 euro and really I can't afford it at the min, being a single parent it is my grocery shopping for me n my kids . Really tho Should I just ignore these emails or can these people land on your street looking for payment. I actually feel scared silly as it may seem but I nearly feel I'm being bullied. Has anybody paid? And if you haven't has the emails stopped? I'd really appreciate a reply. Thank you to whoever takes the time, I'm so stressed about it all 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Do not pay these things. Do ask the original company for all records your account, citing the Data Protection directive (and the relevant UK act). This will no doubt reveal that they did not make multiple efforts to contact you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Do not pay these things. Do ask the original company for all records your account, citing the Data Protection directive (and the relevant UK act). This will no doubt reveal that they did not make multiple efforts to contact you.

If you read the post again you will see they are sending constant e-mails, which is different to the OP.

dobsdave wrote: »
    If you read the post again you will see they are sending constant e-mails, which is different to the OP.

What about it, she still shouldn't pay it. It's €160. What are they going to do. At the moment I'm chasing a business client for €2k through a debt collector. The agency (Stubbs Gazette) have told me there is no way they would go to court for an amount that small. It just wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shavon18

dobsdave wrote: »

What does OP mean ðŸ˜.
    I have contacted Parship and they said it's out Of their hands and that to contact the debt collection agency who have sent me this.... (I copy and pasted)

We have informed you several times of the outstanding balance that you have with our client, Parship GmbH. Due to the lack of response to our previous attempts to collect, we are now informing you that in the next few days we will conclude the amicable actions taken by us.

Once we have finished the amicable actions, we will return your file to the creditor, and they will decide the next actions to be taken to collect the balance due. This could include legal action.

In order to avoid the actions described above, it is mandatory that you make the payment of your debt or that you make contact with us to make an arrangement satisfactory to both parties.

PAYMENT OPTIONS

CREDIT CARD, you can call us and we can make the charge to your bank card.

BANK TRANSFER:

BENEFICIARY: Harvest Credit Management Ltd
    ACCOUNT NUMBER (BANKIA SPAIN): ES03 2038 6299 18 600001 5803
    REFERENCE: <snip>

We will appreciate that you contact us to solve this issue.

Could somebody tell me what this means? Should I just pay it? And thank you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Shavon18 wrote: »
    What does OP mean ðŸ˜.
    I have contacted Parship and they said it's out Of their hands and that to contact the debt collection agency who have sent me this.... (I copy and pasted)

We have informed you several times of the outstanding balance that you have with our client, Parship GmbH. Due to the lack of response to our previous attempts to collect, we are now informing you that in the next few days we will conclude the amicable actions taken by us.

Once we have finished the amicable actions, we will return your file to the creditor, and they will decide the next actions to be taken to collect the balance due. This could include legal action.

In order to avoid the actions described above, it is mandatory that you make the payment of your debt or that you make contact with us to make an arrangement satisfactory to both parties.

PAYMENT OPTIONS

CREDIT CARD, you can call us and we can make the charge to your bank card.

BANK TRANSFER:

BENEFICIARY: Harvest Credit Management Ltd
    ACCOUNT NUMBER (BANKIA SPAIN): ES03 2038 6299 18 600001 5803
    REFERENCE: <snip>

We will appreciate that you contact us to solve this issue.

Could somebody tell me what this means? Should I just pay it? And thank you for your help.

Just ignore them. Mark their emails as spam and they will just go to your spam/junk folder. They are just chancing their arm as some gullible people will pay. Seriously - just ignore them.

Where did I say she should pay?
    I was replying to someone who said to ask for proof that the agency had been trying to contact for payment.

emeldc wrote: »
    What about it, she still shouldn't pay it. It's €160. What are they going to do. At the moment I'm chasing a business client for €2k through a debt collector. The agency (Stubbs Gazette) have told me there is no way they would go to court for an amount that small. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Shavon18 wrote: »
    What does OP mean ðŸ˜..

Original Poster

And personally, I wouldn't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Neither would i they are chancing theyre arm ignore them and enjoy youre weekend.

Advertisement