Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parship - Online Dating Site - now getting Debt Collection Letters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shavon18

Thank you, I really do appreciate your comments and help. I was so distressed last night thinking about it.. Was asking a few close friends about it which is embarrassing too to say the least. :-(. I will let it go n forget it, I'll post back here if I hear any more word from them or if they do land on the street. Have a lovely weekend yourselves, and thank you again . :)

dobsdave wrote: »
    Original Poster

And personally, I wouldn't pay.

Lol I googled it then :-! But thanks, :)

Neither would i they are chancing theyre arm ignore them and enjoy youre weekend.

Thank you, same back at ya, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

Hi there sorry for opening up an old thread but l'm on the mobile. I had a profile with Parship and l paid a 6month to answer someone that never came to anything in the end. I don't think there was was any more communication with anyone maybe 1 but just a message or 2.

Anyway l just let the subscription run away however as my credit card changed they emailed demanding and overdue amount saying l didn't give 24 hours notice.

I suppose l should just pay it than have someone threaten me with debt collection or damage my credit. I realise l am wrong and think l had to pay something like this before due to T & Cs

Parship by Email on 29.12.2016 13:15
    Dear Mr. F,

Thank you for your notification.

In response to your query, please be advised that you purchased a subscription which automatically renews at the end of the term subscribed to unless cancelled in writing. A written cancellation must be sent to us by fax, letter or e-mail.

Please note that all cancellations must be made no less than 1 day before the end of your current subscription.

The auto-renewal function is clearly stated on three different occasions:

- On the 'Become a Premium Member' and payment pages
    - In bold text in the Terms & Conditions (Clause 5) which you have to 'Agree' to when completing the subscription transaction
    - In the confirmation of purchase e-mail which was sent to you

As we have not received a written cancellation request from you in time, your subscription has automatically renewed. This can not be retroactively deactivated, for this reason you currently have an outstanding payment of £ 119.40.

The next renewal has been deactivated, therefore your membership will expire on 25.06.2017

Please be advised that you are able to settle this amount by accessing your PARSHIP account and updating your payment details.
    Furthermore, please note the deletion of your profile has no influence on the invoice and should we not receive the pending payment your case is forwarded to a collection agency.

Thank you for your cooperation and should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    With kind regards,

Clémence Fréchette
    Parship Customer Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

<SNIP>
    Dont pay it..they'll off load to a debt collection agency who you dont have to deal with at all. They wont bring you to court over 119 euro and your credit rating wont be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Honestly, you know that you owe the money and they are entitled to it.

What you'll have to decide for yourself is how much of a risk do you want to take if you don't pay, and if you think they won't persue it. They do not have the power to affect your ICB rating, but any other non-Irish rating systems could be impacted, or you could even have a court judgement secured against you. These may be extreme, but simply advising you to not pay the debt would be irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

As I said, it would be extreme. But it is an option available to them, and the OP should be aware, even if it is unlikely.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dudara wrote: »
    As I said, it would be extreme. But it is an option available to them, and the OP should be aware, even if it is unlikely.

'Unlikely' is putting it extremely mildly. The OP is more likely to win the lotto than be taken to court over an alleged debt this small.

Also, I would question whether the OP even owes this money as the requirement to cancel at least 24 hours before subscription renewal would seem to be in breach of EU distance selling regulations which require a minimum cooling-off period of 14 days, which is extended to 12 months if the retailer did not properly inform them of their legal right to cancel during this cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

TBH l know what your saying about that it would be unlikely if for them to follow me but it was there in the T&C. I think l just take the hit and pay it. If they wanted to they could just cancel it as it should be visible that there is little activity on the account (l think they do promise a miminum number of contacts but l can see anything now) but l'd say technically their correct l think on the overdue amount...

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Also, I would question whether the OP even owes this money as the requirement to cancel at least 24 hours before subscription renewal would seem to be in breach of EU distance selling regulations which require a minimum cooling-off period of 14 days, which is extended to 12 months if the retailer did not properly inform them of their legal right to cancel during this cooling off period.

IIRC the 14 day cooling off period only applies to the purchase of physical goods, as the option to inspect in person is not available at the time of purchase. The OP purchased a service.

IIRC the 14 day cooling off period only applies to the purchase of physical goods, as the option to inspect in person is not available at the time of purchase. The OP purchased a service.

It applies to contracts entered into for services too, such as insurance (as long as you haven't used the service in the interim - ie claimed on said insurance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It applies to contracts entered into for services too, such as insurance (as long as you haven't used the service in the interim - ie claimed on said insurance).

I don't think it covers auto renewal as in the OP's case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

I don't think it covers auto renewal as in the OP's case though.

The renewal of a contract is, in essence, the commencement of a new contract and the same cooling-off period again applies.

My health & home insurances auto-renew but that doesn't stop me making changes or cancelling without cost up to 14 days after the renewal dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The renewal of a contract is, in essence, the commencement of a new contract and the same cooling-off period again applies.

My health & home insurances auto-renew but that doesn't stop me making changes or cancelling without cost up to 14 days after the renewal dates.

Sorry for being pedantic but they weren't within 14 days by the sound of it.

Sorry for being pedantic but they weren't within 14 days by the sound of it.

Yeah, but if the company doesn't properly inform you of your legal right to cancel within a 14 day cooling-off period, then you become entitled to a 12 month cooling-off period.

• Advertisement

The online distance selling regulations do not apply to certain types of contracts (see Citizens Information).

Due to the nature of contracts for financial or credit-based services, such as insurance, there is a different set of rules regarding cooling off. But it is important to distinguish this case from online distance selling.

The online distance selling regulations do not apply to certain types of contracts (see Citizens Information).

Due to the nature of contracts for financial or credit-based services, such as insurance, there is a different set of rules regarding cooling off. But it is important to distinguish this case from online distance selling.

The contract in question does not fall within any of the exclusions as far as I can see. While not governed by the same regulation, the same principle applies.

Advertisement