Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digger driving work

Options
  • 12-10-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping to apply for the IEC 214 and go to Calgary if I'm fortunate enough to get one of the visas. I'm a digger driver with a few years experience. Is there much excavating work there at the minute? Despite having plenty of experience, I have never got a license to drive these machines. I'd be hoping to stay in Canada for awhile if I liked it. Is there a ticket required in Canada to drive these machines and is it possible to get an LMO from an employer in this line of work? I'm also a very competent tiler and would be happy doing this work if there was plenty of it. Again though,I have no papers to say I am a qualified tiler. Is it possible to get an LMO for this work without having trade papers?

Thanks for taking the time to read,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

The great thing about Alberta is you don't need any ticket/licence to run most machinery, digger (they call it hoe) included.

There's loads of work going as an operator, hoe operator goes anywhere from $25 to $35 a hour, depending on experience and what field they're working in. From my experience they wont even bother looking for references, they'll just stick you in the machine and see what happens. I could probably help ya find a job when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Thanks Tonto. Much appreciated. That sounds like pretty good money! Really hope I get the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Keep your eyes peeled around the time they come out. Word on the street was that USIT is no more from next year so all 10,000 places or so will be going through the IEC program, that's a hell of lot more then there was this year. You'll be grand

Advertisement