Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking facilities

Options
  • 12-10-2013 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a rental Ad. which appears to have nothing to cook on. What it has is a microwave, toaster, and a kettle. Does a Landlord have any requirements to supply cooking facilites or does a Microwave cover it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A microwave would not be sufficient; the RTA states that a tenancy must provide means to prepare and store food, ie a hob and oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I actually don't even see a Washing-Machine either. Well not in the pictures anyway. It's not mentionned in the text either. Hhmmmm..... It's almost ninety fecking euro a week. :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

90 Euro a week?
    What is this- a room? A studio apartment?
    The rent seems improbably low.
    Can't really comment- as I have no idea where it is, or indeed, what it is, that you're renting. The rent you're quoting does seem improbably low though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

It's an Ad. I saw. I was just wondering if Landlords are required to provide cooking facilities and a washing-machine for their Tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Here's a link to a guide of the housing standards required in Ireland by law. It describes what cooking, cleaning appliances among others that must be present

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's an Ad. I saw. I was just wondering if Landlords are required to provide cooking facilities and a washing-machine for their Tenants.

Yes. These can be communal facilities though. I can see two advertisements for properties in Rathmines at the moment- where there are small kitchenettes in studio apartments- without cookers and/or ovens, and no washing machines. The house then has shared laundry facilities downstairs along with a properly kitted out kitchen (admittedly a galley kitchen- but hey, it ticks all the boxes).

It all depends- what is the property- and is there any manner that the legal obligations are somehow being met despite it not being obvious in the advertisement. Sometimes- remarkably, it might be. Whether sharing facilities such as these in what used to be bedsits- is allowable or not- I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

What surprises me is that ads have a list of things in the property which are obligatory, therefore not needed. The added facilities such as Internet access, cable TV, parking, etc., which are over and above the requirements of the law are what should be in the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

odds_on wrote: »
    What surprises me is that ads have a list of things in the property which are obligatory, therefore not needed. The added facilities such as Internet access, cable TV, parking, etc., which are over and above the requirements of the law are what should be in the advert.

A lot of people seem to think that the bare minimum is something to write home about.

To be honest I dont really see the point in putting much stock in the finer details of an advert anyway. If you like the general look of the place then organize a viewing, and only then can you properly assess whether or not the place has the proper facilities. Im fairly sure in my last place there was no mention of washing facilities for example, as they were in a seperate utility room that I found out about for the first time when I viewed the place.

Advertisement